Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2014 12:40:50 PM EDT
I had a 10m magnet mount antenna that was a gift and I had yet to use.

Bought an NMO to 3/8-24 adapter and moved the whip and coil over to that.

I hooked up the analyzer and got 2.5 at 28.34x.   Instead of messing with the whip length in the blazing Florida sun and heat I just said to myself that's enough for the 703+ to handle lol.

And it was.

What's interesting is that here in Miami I got a gentleman literally 5 blocks away, he gave me 5/9+10, and another gentleman in Colorado who gave me 5/9. The first guy was 5/9 to me and the second was 5/6-5/7 to me.

Alas it was too hot sitting on the concrete driveway with my HF go box in front of me and the coax snaking out the passenger door to the box. I didn't tune around much more

Then I tried the 20m MFJ short whip. The 703+ wouldn't tune it out of the box and it would pick up very faint signals.  More like the SWR was suppressing signals.

It turned out to be SWR=25, basically the max on the meter. But the stinger it comes with seems to be out all the way already. Again, too hot at this time to mess with the hex keys and adjust length.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 20M hamstick that I've used on a thru-roof in the cherokee. Didn't break out the analyzer and didn't spend enough time trying to make contacts to make any.
Radio is a 703 for this as well.
I need to try this again to see how it works.
I also have a hustler 15M antenna to tryout with this setup as well.
I'll break out the analyzer and sweep the antennas this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 2:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
With lower frequencies like 10m, there is a noticeable difference in tuning of an antenna between a magnet mount and a hole mount.  The difference is the capacitive coupling of the ground plane on the magnet mount... you need a shorter whip with the hole mount than magnet.  This effect is generally unnoticeable at 2m and higher.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top