Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 3:47:31 PM EDT
The bottom just fell out of 40 Meters. The 599 sig I was copying suddenly became 519 and bounced around like crazy

M7.3 flare at 1901Z from region 2173. Hopefully this is an archive image and will stay around a while.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Drat! I was hoping to get the DC centennial station on 40m tonight.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a good day for playing radio, I guess.  I have thunderstorms moving in, too.  The real time lightning page is quite busy.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The X-ray flux is already down to C5 and the band's rapidly coming back. By evening things should be back to normal unless there's another one. It's apparently not Earth-directed at the moment, so effects for this weekend hopefully will be minimal.

But you know how sunspots can be.

That mess in TX and OK is supposed to pass through here tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it'll have moved on by the weekend.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I can tell noise levels are up here on 15 Meters and lower, and I can't hear some distant spotted stations at all, that I should normally at least be able to tell are there.  On the other hand, 10 Meters seems to be quiet and open to South America and the Caribbean.

ETA:  Less than 2 hours later I'm working T30D on 10, 12, and 15 no problem.  Things seem to be improving rapidly!
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That mess in TX and OK is supposed to pass through here tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully it'll have moved on by the weekend.
View Quote

It was moving pretty fast.  It passed through here in about an hour.  It's clear and sunny now, and I'm back on the air.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:13:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Drat! I was hoping to get the DC centennial station on 40m tonight.
View Quote

Might still be possible. I am QRT tonight because of a different kind of storm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top