Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2014 10:28:49 AM EDT
I picked up a VX-7R and really like it. Waiting for my buddy's call sign to post on FCC site so we can try out some simplex comms.

I'm looking to grab a second and when I researched the VX-7R a common mod was to destroy the waterproof membrane of a submersible HT to make it sound better.....

I am watching a lightly used 7R on eBay now with a bunch of accessories that's in my price range. Unfortunately this speaker/mic "mod" was done to it. Seller was honest about it, suggested I just keep the radio in my pocket out of the rain. Lol

Does anyone have experience with this mod? It would seem that it would be an easy fix to replace the membrane myself.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW - I recently sold my VX-7R and bought a used VX-8DR. I like the VX-8 quite a bit more than than the VX-7. There's a used VX-8R on QTH.com for $250... there hardly any difference between the 8R and the 8DR to justify the extra cost.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FWIW - I recently sold my VX-7R and bought a used VX-8DR. I like the VX-8 quite a bit more than than the VX-7. There's a used VX-8R on QTH.com for $250... there hardly any difference between the 8R and the 8DR to justify the extra cost.

View Quote

Thanks for heads up. Reason I went with 7R is because I saved like $200 over the 8DR
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, the only reason I decided to upgrade was I was able to sell my VX-7R for $260, and found a VX-8DR for $300. The VX-8R has a few less APRS features, but other than that is identical to the VX-8DR, and as such people tend to sell them for a lot less. My main likes about the VX-8 are the form factor, readability of the screen (The text is way too small on the VX-7), and slightly more intuitive UI. The ability to send email/text messages via APRS on the VX-8 is a cool little feature, too. Not one I forsee using much, but just kind of nice having it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 2 vx7r and have been very happy with them.   A little complicated to run but I bought the cable and software to program.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Are these radios suitable for use as police/aircraft/whatever else scanners? Would I be better off buying an actual scanner?
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
How effective it will be as a scanner depends on where you live.  Around here, police and fire have gone to 800MHz digital trunked systems which the VX-7R will not receive.  It does well for VHF air band though, especially with an external antenna.  If listening to emergency services and air traffic is your primary goal, you'd probably be better off with a scanner.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 9:15:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are these radios suitable for use as police/aircraft/whatever else scanners? Would I be better off buying an actual scanner?
View Quote

There are good trunking scanners that have very wide recv ranges, so you can listen to ham and police and other services.

I have a grecom 500. Great radio. Love my 8DR, I do APRS with it and the GPS mic.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I took the membrane out of my VX8DR. Easy to do, just up it up and the mic/membrane is right there. Don't know it you can find one though. Email Yaesu and ask them I guess.

And no on the scanner question. They scan slow, you would be better of with a "scanner" IMO.

MC Scooter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top