Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Derek45:

9X4X   7.014 CW no split yet

https://www.qrz.com/db/9X4X

https://cdn-bio.qrz.com/x/9x4x/9x4x_logo.jpg
View Quote

They've been busy all day. I watched spots of them since this morning as they moved from band to band. The team must work in shifts, as it a little after 5AM in Rwanda right now.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#6]
9X4X has been on 21.214 MHz for over an hour now, but I can't hear them with my dipole. I might stand a chance if I had a Yagi.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By M4Madness:
9X4X has been on 21.214 MHz for over an hour now, but I can't hear them with my dipole. I might stand a chance if I had a Yagi.
View Quote

I'm heading back down into the shack in a bit, and will try. But, unless my dipole is oriented just right, there's not much chance of a QSO.

That's why I am thinking about something I can aim (even manually), like a hex beam. I need something not very big that I can put up on a mast or something without a giant concrete mass buried in the ground.  I may be able to have brackets off a 2nd storey deck support 4x4. Not sure what to look at, exactly.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:13:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#8]
GM4KGK - Scottland 18.080  ~18 WPM 559 both ways, SW Ohio

I'm running an endfed and 80 watts.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I'm heading back down into the shack in a bit, and will try. But, unless my dipole is oriented just right, there's not much chance of a QSO.

That's why I am thinking about something I can aim (even manually), like a hex beam. I need something not very big that I can put up on a mast or something without a giant concrete mass buried in the ground.  I may be able to have brackets off a 2nd storey deck support 4x4. Not sure what to look at, exactly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

A hex beam on a mast attached makes some sense but I got a stainless steel wood stove flue proximate.  Nothing is ever easy!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SteelonSteel:
A hex beam on a mast attached makes some sense but I got a stainless steel wood stove flue proximate.  Nothing is ever easy!
View Quote

Oh crap, I kind of do too. How close is too close?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Oh crap, I kind of do too. How close is too close?
View Quote

Probably 10 miles if you want to over think it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By piccolo:

Probably 10 miles if you want to over think it.
View Quote

Isn't that what we do here?
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Isn't that what we do here?
View Quote

Ha! So true and I am as guilty as most!

I am a big learner by reading and often fall deeply for the written word.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 3:23:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#14]
You guys would really crap with my set-up. My dipoles probably aren't 15 feet from my home's metal roof. None of them are grounded. None of my equipment is grounded. My coax runs across my lawn and through a pool noodle that is smashed between my window and the sill. When my 20M dipole was on a metal mast, half the time one of the elements or the other would be touching the mast, depending on which way I had it rotated.

Once I get my tower and beam, I'll definitely do things right.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#15]
SV2RSG/A Mt. Athos is on 7.056 MHz in F/H mode.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Sugar 57 David Xray
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 4:18:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By lorazepam:
Sugar 57 David Xray
View Quote

Slavko. Not a rag-chewer.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes
Sugar 57 David Xray

he is the brother of
Janis, also not a rag chewer, S51DX and he and S57DX and Slavko's wife ( S56DX) are hams and share the same station.

One day nobody was answering Slavko's NA CQ, so I did and commented on his QRZ page where he says his brother is also a ham.

We had a long talk were he went into  a long rant about his brother and his wife being hams and having to de-conflict schedules to use the station. It was quite funny. He is a world class ranter. LOL
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mach:

he is the brother of
Janis, also not a rag chewer, S51DX and he and S57DX and Slavko's wife ( S56DX) are hams and share the same station.

One day nobody was answering Slavko's NA CQ, so I did and commented on his QRZ page where he says his brother is also a ham.

We had a long talk were he went into  a long rant about his brother and his wife being hams and having to de-conflict schedules to use the station. It was quite funny. He is a world class ranter. LOL
View Quote

Ha! Never would have guessed.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 10:36:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#21]

he is the brother of

View All Quotes
Sugar 57 David Xray

he is the brother of

Ha, I have talked to them all.   Had a QSO with Slavko who kept me on the freq to make QSOs with the others and a friend in a neighboring country.  Fun contact! He knows how to ham!
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#22]
EA3JE - Luis - Spain 7.200 mhz

10 over right now calling CQ
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#23]
14.185 ZS1SBW Billy in South Africa has a pretty good signal and not a horrible pile up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#24]
14.185 ZS1SBW Billy in South Africa has a pretty good signal and not a horrible pile up.
View Quote

He has a cool QSL card. I hope you got him.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#25]
He has a cool QSL card. I hope you got him.
View Quote

I got him, and he does. I found the QSL card info confusing on his page. How did you get one from him?
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:14:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#26]

I got him, and he does. I found the QSL card info confusing on his page. How did you get one from him?
View Quote

Go to This URL on M0OXO's web site.  Enter your call sign to verify you are in the log and you can order the QSL card from there.  M0OXO is his QSL manager and is very good about processing requests.

You'll have to wait a while though since the log only goes to October 28 right now.
Link Posted: 12/11/2021 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

Go to This URL on M0OXO's web site.  Enter your call sign to verify you are in the log and you can order the QSL card from there.  M0OXO is his QSL manager and is very good about processing requests.

You'll have to wait a while though since the log only goes to October 28 right now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/12/2021 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#28]
PZ2YT currently contesting on 28.405
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#29]
7.134 YU1XA Serbia
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 10:11:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Northeast is open into EU and Russia. Strong signals

Just had phone contacts on 20m with S51DX and R5AJ
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 5:39:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#31]
Was faintly hearing ZS1SDW QSO with KE5EE with a NJ/NY accent.  Now KE5EE is talking to a guy flying a Grumman American Yankee that I can't hear.

Hearing pilot on webSDR.  Say he has a fishing reel to contain a trailing wire antenna with a tiny parachute on the end.

2000Z PJ2MAN Curacao on 14.214 +20
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 5:58:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#32]
Originally Posted By USMC2671:
Was faintly hearing ZS1SDW QSO with KE5EE with a NJ/NY accent.  Now KE5EE is talking to a guy flying a Grumman American Yankee that I can't hear.

Hearing pilot on webSDR.  Say he has a fishing reel to contain a trailing wire antenna with a tiny parachute on the end.
View Quote

that is cool

I was listening to KE5EE yesterday while mobile and he said he has logged every country except N Korean

It pays to have a $5 million antenna farm!
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 11:25:27 PM EDT
[#33]
SV2RSG/A Mt. Athos is on 40m FT8 F/H now at 7.056 MHz.
Link Posted: 12/17/2021 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#34]
phone on 20m ZS6BAF today conditions were rough, I only had him 55 just above my noise floor
and he is downtown Johannesburg and hard of hearing  

also  brazil  on 15m

Link Posted: 12/17/2021 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#35]
phone on 20m ZS6BAF today conditions were rough, I only had him 55 just above my noise floor
and he is downtown Johannesburg and hard of hearing  

also  brazil  on 15m

View Quote

My call with ZS6BAF a month ago was also under poor conditions. He stuck with it, though, and we kept trying until he got my call sign correct. It took quite a while, LOL, but he didn't give up. I thought it was very kind of him.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:19:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC2671] [#36]
EA3JE Lou in Barcelona on 7194 calling for any California/W7 QTH.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I got him a week or so back.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BLKVooDoo:

View All Quotes

Lou is distinctive on the radio with his voice cadence and over driven amp echo
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#39]
I wasn't able to hear anything, but last night I saw HV0A - Vatican show up on the Spot Collector.  Never knew the Vatican had it's own ham radio station.  Would have been cool to get that one.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 11:51:59 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

I think anyone that's had an HF radio for more than a week has to have heard Lou!  
I got him on 20 meters back in August.  I heard him on 10 meters this morning after getting home from work but couldn't stay awake to try for a contact.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 7:14:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4Madness] [#41]
Originally Posted By Clown_Gun:
I wasn't able to hear anything, but last night I saw HV0A - Vatican show up on the Spot Collector.  Never knew the Vatican had it's own ham radio station.  Would have been cool to get that one.
View Quote

I worked a pirate posing as HV0A on 20M phone months ago.
Link Posted: 12/20/2021 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#42]
PV8AL 20m 14.295 Brazil

Calling QC
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#43]
PV8AL 20m 14.295 Brazil

Calling QC
View Quote

Helio.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Helio.
View All Quotes
PV8AL 20m 14.295 Brazil

Calling QC

Helio.

He was one of the first DX I worked as a newly-minted ham. I got him the first week I was on the air.  I recall him being very friendly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#45]
He was one of the first DX I worked as a newly-minted ham. I got him the first week I was on the air.  I recall him being very friendly.
View Quote

Yup. I had a QSO with him about a month and a half after I got my station operational. Nice guy. He does to QSL cards, too, although the vagaries of the various postal systems means it takes a bit of time.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 2:00:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#46]
MAIL DISRUPTIONS

I finally got caught up by a mail disruption.  I worked JT1CO in Mongolia a few months ago and finally got around to sending him a card.  Before I did I read several places where people had tried and failed to get a card to him and they apparently disappeared somewhere in China.  But I decided to try anyway.  I took it to the post office and the girl at the counter had a hard time figuring out the postage.  Every time she entered the destination it came up with FedEx.  It turns out that Mongolia is on the list of Countries We Can't Send Mail To.  It kept coming up "FedEx" because if I sent it by Fed Ex they would get it there.  For $142.95!  I didn't want it that bad.

Take a look at the list before you waste time trying to send a card out.  The link is above (click the [View The Suspensions] button on that page).  There are a number of countries there that are pretty common and others that are not so common but I have seen lately.  In addition keep in mind HOW your letter will get to the destination.  For example if it were one of the Australian protectorates (ie Mellish Reef or Lord Howe Island) it would route through Australia and would not get there since Australia does not accept mail from the USA at this time (or the USA does not deliver mail to Australia at this time, I don't know which is factual).

If you haven't gotten cards IN from other countries you may be victim as well, although I don't know how that works.  I have a card coming from Afghanistan and that country is on the list.  I don't know if mail FROM Afghanistan is accepted INTO the USA or not so I guess that will be a "Wait and See" situation.  I requested it using OQRS so I didn't have to send him a card.

Edit ... The Afghanistan example above is a bad example since I remembered that he (T6AA) has left Afghanistan and is now back in Slovenia.  Plus, as of this month he is using EA5GL as his QSL manager.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Yeah, I tried to send a card to a QSO in Cuba (also on the list) and it got returned to me.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 3:19:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SACraig] [#48]
Yeah, I tried to send a card to a QSO in Cuba (also on the list) and it got returned to me.
View Quote

I guess that's better than just holding it forever until they decide to deliver mail again.  But not by much.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SACraig:

I guess that's better than just holding it forever until they decide to deliver mail again.  But not by much.
View Quote

The envelope was returned to me with a big X drawn through the address in Cuba and a red rubber stamp saying something like SERVICE SUSPENDED. I sent the guy an image of what it looked like. I'll hang onto it and if things change, will send it off again.
Link Posted: 12/22/2021 3:45:28 PM EDT
[#50]

The envelope was returned to me with a big X drawn through the address in Cuba and a red rubber stamp saying something like SERVICE SUSPENDED. I sent the guy an image of what it looked like. I'll hang onto it and if things change, will send it off again.
View Quote

This would be the perfect reason for OQRS if they can deliver to the USA but I don't know if they can or not.  Otherwise doing as you mention is about the only choice.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 59
Tacked DX Spotting Here (Page 1 of 59)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top