Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 7:04:54 PM EDT
APRS is one of those quirky little things that I can see as useful, but not something I want to base a purchase on (of maybe a dual band mobile).  And why would I want to have APRS interrupt what I'm doing on the other VFO once in a while.

So I am going to take one of my Baofeng's that has started to flake (the channel down button doesn't work), plug it into one of these http://www.mobilinkd.com/tnc/, velcro an old android phone of about the same size profile (motorola Atrix) to the whole rig, and play with an APRS toy.  I'll leave it in the boat when I go to the lake.  I don't know what else I'll do.  Maybe I'll get a project box and the right DC voltage regulators (actually I think I have those in the junk box already) and put the whole thing in a box with 12V in to run the radio, the phone and the TNC.

so I'm taking a "disposable" chinese HT, a 3.5yr old android phone that I haven't used in 2 years, adding a TNC to it for some fun.  

What else can I do with my toy?  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:49:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Upgrade the antenna. It is very difficult at best with a 5w radio to get into a digipeater if the area as anything but light traffic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#2]
yup.  I didn't mention it, but probably because I think the only thing those little rubber duckies are good for is monitoring.  The second thing I did with this one was upgrade the antenna.  (the first thing was assemble and test it)

I've been thinking about putting an NMO mount on the roof of the truck.  I could leave the magmount on the truckbox for my APRS toy.  :)
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Same rig with a handheld yagi would make a nice ISS contact unit. Use the droid and Satellite AR app for aiming.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top