Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2014 4:16:36 PM EDT
Just passed the Technician test yesterday.  Looking to build a "go" box that will contain all but the battery.  Maybe I should include the battery inside the box.  Considering a .50cal ammo box for electronics only containment.

What are some of your opinions?

Steel container or a high density plastic container?

Include the battery or leave it out?

Just trying to get some ideas here.

Thx

JB
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats!  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats!  
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#3]
+2
Congrats!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Congrats on your new ticket!
Gator Audio Racks make great Go Boxes. It opens on both sides and they offer different box sizes with many accessories.
LINK
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats !!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Congrats on your new ticket!

Gator Audio Racks make great Go Boxes. It opens on both sides and they offer different box sizes with many accessories.

LINK
View Quote
Yep, I got one of those (along with the shelves for it).

I haven't used it, instead I went with a pelican case.  But I have the gator box for possible future stuff.  With access to the back and front, these make ideal boxes for field day stuff.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations, and welcome to the Black Radio Disease.

There's a thread all about EMCOMM boxes where you may get some ideas.

EMComm

I built mine into a case that I got from Harbor Freight.  There's storage under the shelf for spares, roll-up antenna, etc.  It weighs about 24 pounds now.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Thx for all the replies....

Just waiting for FCC.GOV to show my license.  Love the reference of Black Radio Disease.  Already have the black rifle disease but figure I could always use another vice.....

Once I get myself established into amateur radio I plan on getting into the psk "waterfall" type of stuff....my 14yo son is heavy into computers and wants to get into robotics as a career so I know he'll enjoy the digital  modes....Just need for him to study for his Tech test

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
my 14yo son is heavy into computers and wants to get into robotics as a career so I know he'll enjoy the digital  modes....Just need for him to study for his Tech test

View Quote

Congrats on your ticket!

Make sure to inform him at least one of the wifi channels are in the ham bands.  That means with his ticket he can boost the power and range of a wifi signal.  There is a young man in my local club that has been able to get reliable data transmission of about a mile over wifi.  100% copy, no errors both directions.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Way To Fo!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Once I get myself established into amateur radio I plan on getting into the psk "waterfall" type of stuff....my 14yo son is heavy into computers and wants to get into robotics as a career so I know he'll enjoy the digital  modes....Just need for him to study for his Tech test

View Quote

There are a few of us that are into the digital modes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top