Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, I just set it, and let it run?

Am I missing something?
View Quote

Shamelessly stolen from a prior thread:

(thank Derek45 for that.)

Let it run, pick stations calling CQ, answer.

Here's the Bozo guide that's fairly popular

The ARRL's take

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Subtract 39
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Am I missing something?
View Quote

Raysheen's guide to running JT65:

-Wake up early in the morning.

-Realize that I can't be saying my call sign repeatedly or it will wake up my kids so figure "Why not run some digital?"

-Make sure Dimension 4 service is running and has updated the time.

-Listen for 2-4 cycles to see who is running and what I can hear. (make a pot of coffee).

-Try to grab Asiatic Somewherefarawayistan between QSOs (drink cup of coffee).

-After the first transmission or two I usually check PSK Reporter to see how I am getting out as a general propagation check.

-Fail at calling Asiatic Somewherefarawayistan and decide to call CQ (drink another cup of coffee).

-Get an answer to my CQ from someone 200 miles away at -3dB and decide "What the heck, maybe he needs me for WAS" (have lunch).

-Finish QSO with 4 states that I have worked numerous times on JT65 only to find out that I have already worked 3 of the stations I have just had the QSOs with as well. (Eat mid-afternoon snack)

-Finally manage to bag a JA and a VK one right after the other. (Do a happy dance)

-Get frustrated because PSK Reporter shows the station in Botswana is receiving my signal, but is not responding.

-Attempt to beat out the 75 German stations calling Botswana.

-Fail.

-Realize that it's time for bed and I missed supper.

-Go to bed.

-Wake.

-Repeat.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:00:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

-Realize that I can't be saying my call sign repeatedly or it will wake up my kids so figure "Why not run some digital?"

-Listen for 2-4 cycles to see who is running and what I can hear. (make a pot of coffee).

-After the first transmission or two I usually check PSK Reporter to see how I am getting out as a general propagation check.

-Fail at calling Asiatic Somewherefarawayistan and decide to call CQ (drink another cup of coffee).

-Get an answer to my CQ from someone 200 miles away at -3dB and decide "What the heck, maybe he needs me for WAS" (have lunch).

-Finish QSO with 4 states that I have worked numerous times on JT65 only to find out that I have already worked 3 of the stations I have just had the QSOs with as well. (Eat mid-afternoon snack)

-Finally manage to bag a JA and a VK one right after the other. (Do a happy dance)

-Get frustrated because PSK Reporter shows the station in Botswana is receiving my signal, but is not responding.

-Fail.

-Go to bed.

-Wake.

-Repeat.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I missing something?

-Fail.

-Go to bed.

-Wake.

-Repeat.

Remarkably accurate.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/3v34ho_zps788da323.jpg

The ARRL's take

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I missing something?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/3v34ho_zps788da323.jpg

The ARRL's take

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I just let it run overnight... Wow. heard a lot of stations.

Now I just have to get the transmission side working correctly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:50:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm around this morning if you need to test anything.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

It also means you should stay up with your radio all night!  
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:00:20 AM EDT
[#9]

You'll also need time sync software

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You'll also need time sync software

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/
View Quote

I have one of these at home. No need to play any of those high-latency NTP games.

ETA:
Now that I think about it, I could build one with a raspberry pi, rtl-sdr, and a gps antenna. Ahh, technology development...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

-Fail.

-Go to bed.

-Wake.

-Repeat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I missing something?

-Fail.

-Go to bed.

-Wake.

-Repeat.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:03:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had good luck running Meinberg ntp service for my time sync.  It pings enough accurate time sources worlwide i don't have to mess with running a local hardware timeclock...and i can use my workstation to sync the other systems on my little network

http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

They also manufacture high stabiliy hardware solutions but this is open source so you can just use somebody else's timeclock.  Check it out.  It catches the leading edge of the packet remarkably close.  I mess with it from time to time by deliberately putting my local time off by a couple of seconds to see what the signal does,  and then force a re-sync and BAM,  right back where it's supposed to be.  

Manually setting your system from from Nat'l Bureau of Standards time tick is a waste  as pc time clocks are notoriously inaccurate, drifting seconds every day.

ETA:  runs through port 123, so your firewall may log these connections and look like an exploit
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've had good luck running Meinberg ntp service for my time sync.  It pings enough accurate time sources worlwide i don't have to mess with running a local hardware timeclock...and i can use my workstation to sync the other systems on my little network

http://www.meinbergglobal.com/english/sw/ntp.htm

They also manufacture high stabiliy hardware solutions but this is open source so you can just use somebody else's timeclock.  Check it out.  It catches the leading edge of the packet remarkably close.  I mess with it from time to time by deliberately putting my local time off by a couple of seconds to see what the signal does,  and then force a re-sync and BAM,  right back where it's supposed to be.  

Manually setting your system from from Nat'l Bureau of Standards time tick is a waste  as pc time clocks are notoriously inaccurate, drifting seconds every day.

ETA:  runs through port 123, so your firewall may log these connections and look like an exploit
View Quote

I tried running Meinberg for awhile, but in the end I found that Dimension4 had less issues on my setup. But, as you said, this does not require ultra accurate timing...only mostly accurate timing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#15]
You don't need time synch software.  I do just fine using WWV on 5 or 10 MHz.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]

BktTimeSync

I have been using this time sync program to keep my PC clock adjusted. You can select whatever time sync source you like.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top