Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2014 3:03:16 PM EDT
Another  ham and I figured out enough JT 65 so I have a couple of QSOs on it.

It's pretty good. I finally got to read War and Peace between transmissions.

And I got through to France on 15 watts.

I wonder how long it would take to send the Gettysburg Address?

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been reqding about the digital modes as well.

It seemed every time I opened a new thread it was about yet another acronym mode.

There is a dizzying array lol
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It seemed every time I opened a new thread it was about yet another acronym mode.

View Quote

New language.
"Yeah, Joe. I QSO'd WX3YZA on 20 watts on JT-65  with a 7200 bouncing it off the moon."
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:53:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't mind acronyms, it is the macro QSO's I hate.  I have had some nice QSO's on PSK31 without the whole thing being a macro exchange and there were a few where the fan on my 857 didn't quit running for a full minute after I quit transmitting.

Everyone is different, some want the quick contact with just a basic exchange(macro) and some want to ragchew
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't mind acronyms, it is the macro QSO's I hate.  I have had some nice QSO's on PSK31 without the whole thing being a macro exchange and there were a few where the fan on my 857 didn't quit running for a full minute after I quit transmitting.

Everyone is different, some want the quick contact with just a basic exchange(macro) and some want to ragchew
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On PSK sometimes I just want to log contacts, other times I want to ragchew.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was thinking the "Better Nate Than Lever" joke.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#7]
JT65 may not be everyone;s first choice or what excites them the most about ham radio, but it is a different and unusual way to log a contact. Different from the other digital modes as well. It's nice to have options...congratulations on working through it and having a few "QSO's".

For me it's enjoyable because I can multitask while working JT65.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]
The only reason I see for JT65, is chasing awards.  

What else could it possibly be good for?  You couldn't have a rag chew if you tried.  

Which begs the question: If someone is chasing awards, why aren't they on LoTW?

I've picked up something like 35 states in the past three weeks on JT65.  It is definitely good for that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Try PSK128.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 2:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]
It is a great way to work and confirm stations 20db or more below the noise level.

If you are chasing WAS or DXCC  and using LoTW, this mode will net contacts to parts of the world or states that you may not be able to work any other way.

JT65 or JT9 is not going to promote world peace and camaraderie in the amateur world.....its just going to help you earn some QSL cards in a different way.

The nice thing about this mode is that it keeps the stupid to a minimum. Most LIDS are too dumb to figure it out and ruin it for the rest of us.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:30:39 AM EDT
[#12]
You can rack up some DX quick with JT modes, I love it!  Not many modes where you can fill out QSL cards, post on ARFCOM, trim your toenails, pluck nose hairs, dig out some naval fuzz, & browse through the latest QST magazine, all while having a QSO with Vladimir in Russia!  

HS
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm a big user of the JT modes. Is it for everybody? Nope. Is it useful for SHTF backup comms? Very limited. Can it help rack up contacts toward awards? Oh yeah!

The JT modes were developed with an eye toward EME work. In this end it has brought EME within the grasp of more people than ever before. 100w and a long boom yagi and you have a chance to work at least the big gun stations. Not a chance with any other mode with just 100w and a yagi. Then some guy got the bright idea to give the mode a try with terrestrial QSOs. You know the rest of the story.

Here's where the mode has it's place. Guys who are antenna limited due to HOAs. Although I'd love to have the antenna farm of W1AW it's not going to happen unless I sell off and move. I'm working with a guy right now who is trying to put up an antenna in a second floor apartment. A dipole or loop thumbtacked around the perimeter of his crib and the JT modes and he'll be on the air.

What are you going to do when this solar cycle hits bottom? When the SFI is in the 20s making contacts is going to be tougher on the traditional modes. JT modes are well known for getting through when conditions are absolutely poopy.

As K9-Bob mentioned the stupidity found on other modes isn't there. That alone is a big draw for me.

Love it or hate it. I don't care. It's just one more tool in the box.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Definitely not the mode for bragging about that turdy-point buck you took down last fall.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You can rack up some DX quick with JT modes, I love it!  Not many modes where you can fill out QSL cards, post on ARFCOM, trim your toenails, pluck nose hairs, dig out some naval fuzz, & browse through the latest QST magazine, all while having a QSO with Vladimir in Russia!  

HS
View Quote

Speaking of QST magazine, there is an article on there which discusses JT65 that I found particularly interesting, as a new operator. I performed my first international contacts last week on JT65.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top