Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2014 6:31:45 AM EDT
Do I pick up this Swan Mark II amp with its power supply for $550 cash?

So, do I go to an ATM then make the drive?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a nice looking 1200w I got for free. Never really tried to use it and sold to get gear.

Couldn't you put that $ into something new?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:12:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd say go get it, if that's what you're looking for.  The design is solid but they're old, like made from 1967 to 1972.

I'd rather put the money towards something newer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd be tempted if there was room and it worked.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:27:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know how much better I can do than 47 cents per watt. If I figure it may need $100 in repairs, I'm still at only 56 cents per watt. Running a 220V outlet (which I'd need to do no matter what) $40 for the breaker, plug, and socket, then probably $60 for the wire, I'm up to $750 or 65 cents per watt.

Show me a legal limit amp that goes for 65cents a watt, shipped.

ETA: $100 in repairs meaning new caps in the power supply.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]
It doesn't do 160m so I would pass.  But it is up to you.  You can find Ameritron AL-811s used for roughly the same price.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Elijah1. Look for something newer. BTW, what tubes are in the Swan? It may have some obscure tubes that are unobtanium now.
ETA -- I see it uses 3-500Z tubes which are common and available, but expensive.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:19:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Back of my car picture.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats and have fun!  There seems to be a lot of info on the web about those and she should serve you well.  Have you named her yet?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats and have fun!  There seems to be a lot of info on the web about those and she should serve you well.  Have you named her yet?  
View Quote

I didn't know people named their linears. lol. But it doesn't surprise me.

Here's the kicker:

Read that note, and then take a look at these images:

It doesn't look like any Swan amp I've ever seen. Looks a lot more "stout" in the band tuning section. Note seems to indicate that it's from an SB-220 or something... Oh well. As long as it works, right?

Now I need a tuner that will support this kind of power, coax that will transmit it, and a 220V outlet in the comms room.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Sexy!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:08:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, this sucks... There's no room in the breaker box...
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well, this sucks... There's no room in the breaker box...
View Quote

Dang that sux. My address is....

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, it's running on 117V, but I have NO IDEA how to tune it up, and youtube doesn't work on this machine for some reason...

Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.

Looking at tuners now, and I'm seeing a trend. Everything that will tune up to 2kW is going to cost as much as I paid for this amp. Now I'm tempted to really trim down the antenna nice and tight so I get a sane SWR.

ETA: Figured out how to tune it. Works very well now. My feet are getting warm.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Well,

On the breaker box...

Depending on the mfg of the box, they make double breakers for 120v lines...

Take two low load (preferred) 120v circuits and combine them...do this twice...then you'll have two open spaces...

It's fairly easy to move loads around...there is usually plenty of room for extending or rerouting the black line(hot), neutral and ground can stay where they are...

I had to do this at my old cabin , before I built a new one...

Even a couple of reasons for extended or splices hot wires on electrical panels...my electrical at my new house is all automated...11 high voltage electrical panels...feed from two 320a mains...

Bret
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:38:38 AM EDT
[#15]
You've got to love the design and construction of the older amps and the 3-500Z tubes are SEXY!!!

Take a close look at your existing circuit breaker box as earlier suggested. Unless it's an older, obscure box, there should be some options to add half height breakers in a couple of spots to ultimately allow you to install a double pole 220v breaker to run to your shack.

Good luck and keep us all updated on your progress!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You've got to love the design and construction of the older amps and the 3-500Z tubes are SEXY!!!

Take a close look at your existing circuit breaker box as earlier suggested. Unless it's an older, obscure box, there should be some options to add half height breakers in a couple of spots to ultimately allow you to install a double pole 220v breaker to run to your shack.

Good luck and keep us all updated on your progress!
View Quote

I took a quick look this morning before I left for work... It looks like there's a single breaker that ONLY powers my doorbell and the post lamp in my front yard. So that's one. Just one more to go.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, it's now running on 240v.

$134 later, I have a 20A 240v outlet in my radio room.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well, it's now running on 240v.

$134 later, I have a 20A 240v outlet in my radio room.
View Quote

Good job!  How does it do?  Have you cranked it up?  Find any weak links in the antennas or perhaps devices susceptible to strong RF fields?  When I got my first 600W amp I found things around the house that didn't like a lot of RF.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the QSO awptickes and medic_man
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, I have cranked it up, and I have no issues on 80m even with 100W of drive (max drive I can give it.)

I just need a better wattmeter (this 500W one isn't gonna cut it) and a better tuner.

Hopefully I won't melt any coax until I can get some RG213 to replace the rg8x run to the OFCD.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice!!! Way to adapt and overcome. I'm sure the Swan is happier on 220v than it was on 110v. Now you get to find the weak link(s) in your system. In the end, your shack will be more sound and efficient. It's hard to go wrong with the old boat anchors and your price per watt was very reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Speaking of weak links, my power supply just blew. (Pyramid PS-21KX)

Time to see if Pyramid really has a warranty. :(

ETA: http://youtu.be/DZgTvYFlh00
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#23]
This may help you in tuning, and is applicable to most amps.

http://www.ameritron.com/helpvideos.php

Also, SWR/Power meter... Daiwa.

Tuners, two come to mind, the Ameritron ATR-15 and the Dentron Super Tuner.  In general, the Dentron is cheaper and easier to find.  These are older tuners but both are built like tanks.  Look on QRZ.com, eHam.com, and QTH.com.

Transceiver > Amp > Power Meter > Tuner > Antenna

Don't discard your RG-8X.  You can use that for Field Day or special event activities.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 5:19:51 AM EDT
[#24]
So, I'll be on the lookout for a Daiwa CN-801HP, and keep trolling the for sale forums for a tuner.

For now, I'll just trim down the antenna a bit more. And besides, that's free.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#25]
look for a heathkit sa-2040 turner on  ebay  built like a tank and ligel limit
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#26]
So, I had a friend come over with his 3kW power meter and a 2kW dummy load... It's putting out right at 2kW on sideband on the low end of 40m.

He showed me how to tune it up, and how I should be running it. This is going to be fun. Now I just need to figure out how much to put into it on each band to stay legal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top