Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2013 3:25:45 PM EDT
It was the electronics that originally got me in to Amateur Radio.
For a long time (about 10 years) I stayed a Technician because I had little interest in
transmitting on HF because I had so much more spectrum to play with in VHF/UHF.
At the Time I was into Packet, ATV, and Building Repeaters.

Then with the lowering of the code requirement I finally to upgrade to Extra.
I spent 99% of my HF time on SSTV but  later lost interest in HF due to so many jamming SSTV, etc
I sold off and gave away most my gear, and even within the past few years gave away
what remained of my antennas. The only thing I kept was a big Astron Power supply.

About a year ago my son showed me the little cheap Chinese Handhelds, I picked up a few)
then the Kenwood TM-281 went on sale so I picked one up so I could see what was going on locally again.

I got a Bitx20 SSB kit as my Christmas present a year ago (since I'm a builder at heart).
Then I camre across the thread by k9-Bob about the SoftRock RX Ensemble II Receiver Kit
The price was right so I picked one up.... now that (SDR) really set the hook for me to come back.

I scraped up my pennies and got a Flex-1500, and built a 20 meter vertical out of some tubing I had left over.
Later I added a TenTec amp, and once winter finally broke I put up a decent Vertical antenna.

Here I am about a year after coming back to Amateur Radio with nearly 1800 logged contacts.
It was just an interesting journey back, and to be honest one I really never planned on making.

I just thought I would share that and take a moment to say Thank you to the ones here who not only
inspired me but helped me to get the wheels in my mind turning again and thinking about radio.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent....I am very glad you jumped back into ham radio!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Great to hear Mr. Harry.

Now, if we can only get you to check in to the Friday net more than once.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:34:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent....I am very glad you jumped back into ham radio!!!
View Quote

Thank you, had I never seen the Softrock thread I probably would have built the Bitx20a then left it on a shelf.

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Umm, happy anniversary?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Great to hear Mr. Harry.

Now, if we can only get you to check in to the Friday net more than once.

View Quote

Yes, hopefully someday again

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top