Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 8:19:06 AM EDT
Years ago I had some Alinco HT's and they were actually pretty decent radios.

Is anyone here using the currently available models, and if so what has been your experience with them.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't heard any complaints, and reviews in QST have been good.  I mainly have Yaesu and Chungkung Fooey brands, tho.  Alinco seems to put out good products at a fair price.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a DJ-G7t, it is a great radio, I use it often. We have a 23cm repeater in the town I live in and on 1w I can hit it pretty much everywhere.  It has a lot of cool feature that I actually use, dual VFO's, spectrum scope analyzer and also a cool bug finding feature that work a charm in fox hunting.  The build quality is very nice, solid chassis, nice controls and there are a few antennas in the tri-band range that work nicely with it.  The two feature I do not like are the belt clip, its horrible and the power button is very small.  Other than those two nit pickings the radio is solidly worth the asking price and it comes with a nice desk top charger.  I would get the G9 except that around here 900 is super noisy and I already have several radios for 220.  You wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't heard any complaints, and reviews in QST have been good.  I mainly have Yaesu and Chungkung Fooey brands, tho.  Alinco seems to put out good products at a fair price.
View Quote

I would like to get a couple of good inexpensive HT's (Alincos)
to replace the cheap Chinese radios I have.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I want the 220/900 one.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
One of our club members had an Alinco mobile rig that he couldn't program.  I worked with it 4 or 5 hours and couldn't get the first repeater into it.  The manual was useless.

I got a programming cable for it from RT Systems, used CHIRP to program, and BAM!  Done.  

I hope they can write better manuals for their other radios.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:47:06 PM EDT
[#6]
While not an "HT" more of a scanner I have always wanted one of these:

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010670

The Alinco DJ-X11T wideband receiver covers 50 kHz to 1299.995 MHz (less cellular) in AM, FM wide, FM narrow, SSB and CW modes. The illuminated LCD display supports two lines. In addition to frequency information, it will also show the operating mode, memory channel, battery strength, signal strength and a number of other user-selected operating parameters. The keypad is backlit. Six types of memory banks are supported. The DJ-X11T even supports dual frequency simultaneous reception giving you the ability to concurrently listen with the main band and sub band (with some frequency limitations). Please note that sub band coverage is 118-174 MHz and 336-470 MHz. The F tuning function allows you to automatically tune very strong, nearby signals. The built in MW ferrite bar antennas provides good AM band reception The DJ-X11T features 1200 memory channels and three scan speeds are available. The supplied SMA antenna is removable. Other features include: APO Auto Power Off, Attenuator, BS Battery Save function, Beep On/Off, ext DC input jack (5.4-6VDC) and battery-low icon. This radio's firmware may be updated over the web (with optional cable and software). One year limited manufacturer's warranty. This radio comes with the EBP-174 3.7V 1800 mAh lithium ion battery, EDH-36 cell holder, AC adapter, SMA flexible antenna, belt clip and hand strap. 2.4 x 4.17 x 1.5 inches 8.3 oz.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a DJ-G7t, it is a great radio, I use it often. We have a 23cm repeater in the town I live in and on 1w I can hit it pretty much everywhere.  It has a lot of cool feature that I actually use, dual VFO's, spectrum scope analyzer and also a cool bug finding feature that work a charm in fox hunting.  The build quality is very nice, solid chassis, nice controls and there are a few antennas in the tri-band range that work nicely with it.  The two feature I do not like are the belt clip, its horrible and the power button is very small.  Other than those two nit pickings the radio is solidly worth the asking price and it comes with a nice desk top charger.  I would get the G9 except that around here 900 is super noisy and I already have several radios for 220.  You wont be disappointed.
View Quote

I have one also, and ditto all of the above.  I can't comment on the 1.2GHz though, as I'm alone on that freq around here.

The belt clip (weird strap really) is annoying and about worthless for my purposes, but I just use a Maxpedition radio pouch instead.

One other complaint is that the output doesn't seem to be what they spec on 2m.  It's only about 3.5 watts out according to my meter.  Maybe that's because it's on battery and not off of a power cord or something.  It works well nonetheless.  

Mine's been out in the rain a good bit, and hasn't had any water issues, so it seems to hold up to weather okay.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:55:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I want the 220/900 one.
View Quote

this

and, if nothing else they make a pretty nice looking rig!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top