Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2013 3:57:17 PM EDT
As we had been talking about on the Friday night net (Shameless Plug Here)  I had promised to get a build-out doc of what it consisted of and what it took to make it work.  This is my first crack of documenting this setup.

Below are the major components

" />

Bill of Materials:
1. Raspberry Pi Rev 2b with Case        $    59.00
2. IRLP Board Modified for 3.3V           $  110.00
3. Modified Parallel Cable for PiRLP       $  30.00
4. Motorola Radius M130 - with 16 pin connector from Ebay $37.00
5. Plug and Play Cable for IRLP  $56.00
6. USB Sound Card $7.50
7. 8GB SD Card $10.00
8. 12 amp power supply - flee market  $15.00

Total      $ 324.50

Setup Steps:
1. Program Maxtrac/Radius
- Far and away the most challenging part of the whole build.

There are a couple of ways to go on this
       A. Find a local Elmer who has the Motorola RSS setup up on an old dos based PC. and go through the setup screens and hope it works ok.
       B.  Find a local 2 way radio shop that can preform the service.

I was fortunate enough to find the former but after the inital programing and setup of the IRLP i could listen to IRLP traffic but could not TX since the IRLP software did not see the radio keying up.  The reason for this error was that the radio was not passing COS out pin 8 on the connector on the back to let the software know that squelch was being broken with a proper pl tone.  I did some digging on the bat lab forums on this Radius and other Maxtrack/Radius and this seams to be a common issue for those trying to build repeaters or IRLP simplex nodes.  THIS IS THE KEY TO GETTING THE PROGRAMMING RIGHT ON THE RADIO.

"what i had to do to get cor on pin 8, and discriminator on pin 11 was to put the RSS in repeater mode, program the radio as a TX, read the CP, then program it as a RX radio (setup as 'Radius RICK' mode). The RSS then popped up a screen saying "configuring accessory pins". Once i did that, i reprogrammed it back into radio mode and it kept the pins the same. It is now repeating bi-directional. "  Forum Link Here

2.  Software Install
A. Download disk manager Here
B. Download the most recent release of Rasbian (debian for PI) Here
C. use the disk manager to put the image on the SD card that you just downloaded

3. Software Configuration

A. Boot the raspberry Pi with the SD card you created above and configure the inital questions as follows
1) expand_rootfs Expand root partition to fill SD card
2) change_pass Change password for 'pi' user
3) change_locale Set locale (as required)
4) change_timezone Set timezone
5) NEW - Set up the keyboard layout (defaults to UK keyboard)
6) memory_split Change memory split (set to 16)
7) ssh Enable ssh server
8) boot_behaviour DO NOT BOOT INTO DESKTOP

B. Reboot server and get the IRLP install script with the following command
wget ftp://ftp.irlp.net/get-irlp-files
chmod +x get-irlp-files
./get-irlp-files
GO GET A BEER THIS WILL TAKE A WHILE (45+ minutes to complete the cleanup of the Rasbian install and getting the IRLP packages)

C. Reboot again and begin the IRLP configuration dialog
I didn't take the best notes here because I did grab that beer but it was all logical and localization questions that will help assign a proper node number for you.

D. Validate that the firewall ports are correct and you will not have connection issues by running the following commands:
su - repeater
troubleshoot-irlp

E. Wait for confirmation that they have processed your PGP keys for node authentication from step 3c.

F. Use PI IRLP node and profit.

I will update this OP if other things come to mind but so far I am very happy with this node.

Any questions?

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have lots of questions. But I won't ask any of them until after I've actually read your post, then read it again.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Good setup there.

I did it with a Beofeng UV5R.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately my iphone decided to drop its echolink connection durring the raspberry pi talk on friday night.  Regardless I caught enough of the conversation to peak my interest.  It appears that you can run echolink on a raspberry pie using svxlink.

This got me thinking

-KD2FCN
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unfortunately my iphone decided to drop its echolink connection durring the raspberry pi talk on friday night.  Regardless I caught enough of the conversation to peak my interest.  It appears that you can run echolink on a raspberry pie using svxlink.

This got me thinking

-KD2FCN
View Quote

It's sooo much easier to use an IRLP board.

Google " RPI IRLP" and you'll find lots of data.

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for posting this CaptainSkullet!
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:09:44 PM EDT
[#6]
dam something else I need to do with my PI
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This got me thinking

-KD2FCN

+1. I am digging now to see if there is a way run echo irlp with a pi based system.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
dam something else I need to do with my PI
View Quote

I could've sworn I mentioned something like this to ya they other day when you texted me…

I'd be willing to help ya setup a repeater (or simplex node) at your place for All Star or something.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
+1. I am digging now to see if there is a way run echo irlp with a pi based system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This got me thinking
-KD2FCN

Most definitely.  Theres ECHO-IRLP.
Once you snag the IRLP board, you simply use an apt-get install command and it will install ECHOLINK on your IRLP node unix (PI) box.  Very smooth installation.

While I have not installed it on my RPI node, theres a debian install now on echo irlp's site.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Great build by the way!

I have been thinking of running an IRLP board with my PI, but the extra cost has kept me from doing it. I have to put the finishing touches on a 6.5 grendel build first. I am currently running an Echolink node on mine using SVXlink, and a UV5R radio. As soon as I can find an old radio to use for a little more power and eliminating the need for the batteries it will be on 24-7. So far it has worked well, on the first net there was some problem on Echolink dropping, but everyone was experiencing that to some degree, and all of the other testing has been flawless, so may have been something on the conference room end.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Great build by the way!

I have been thinking of running an IRLP board with my PI, but the extra cost has kept me from doing it. I have to put the finishing touches on a 6.5 grendel build first. I am currently running an Echolink node on mine using SVXlink, and a UV5R radio. As soon as I can find an old radio to use for a little more power and eliminating the need for the batteries it will be on 24-7. So far it has worked well, on the first net there was some problem on Echolink dropping, but everyone was experiencing that to some degree, and all of the other testing has been flawless, so may have been something on the conference room end.
View Quote

Power is not much of a relevancy on simplex nodes. But this is easily fixed with an alinco 135.  If you run 2m, 1w will get you out pretty far if you have a good antenna.

The UV5R has a battery eliminator cable. Connect it up to 12v.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't get svxlink to make on my RPi…
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top