Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2013 6:09:56 AM EDT
State-issued license plate for your car, showing amateur call sign.  Available in all 50 states.

Good idea to promote Amateur Radio, and to identify the driver to fellow Hams?  Or bad idea for OPSEC?

My father had a Ham plate on his car for many years, but of course it was a different world back then.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I've considered it a couple of times. OPSEC always told me not to do it.

Let's face it, it's pretty easy to identify a fellow ham's car, just look for a non-factory antenna.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:20:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've considered it a couple of times. OPSEC always told me not to do it.

Let's face it, it's pretty easy to identify a fellow ham's car, just look for a non-factory antenna.
View Quote

Same.. .  Any one can find out info on a plate... Just gota pay...  A call sign makes it easy, that is if the person knows they can just google search it... Most probably don't.

I always just decided to keep my issued plate...
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

State-issued license plate for your car, showing amateur call sign.  Available in all 50 states.

Good idea to promote Amateur Radio, and to identify the driver to fellow Hams?  Or bad idea for OPSEC?

My father had a Ham plate on his car for many years, but of course it was a different world back then.
View Quote

Even though my call is assigned to a UPS address, I still dont want someone to be able to tag my car with a name without further incentive to use a paid service.

FCC.GOV via ULS or a simple google search will tell you my name.  I just dont want it THAT easy.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:03:16 AM EDT
[#4]
What I have considered is a regular vanity plate with my call sign on it, and NOT the kind the state issues labeling you as a ham.

OPSEC but a ham would recognize it
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:17:48 AM EDT
[#5]

I have a marked squad car that has been sitting in front of my house for the last 25 years.

If someone had planned on doing me harm, then they would have done it by now.

I don't believe that the ham plates on my POV will bring any additional trouble my way.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#6]
OPSEC for me, but piccolo's way of doing it might be OK.

Texas must have at least 200 different license tag options. There are 86 different options for military tags, alone.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Personal opinion, I will not get a call sign plate for OPSEC reasons, but love my horny toad plate, want to keep it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:23:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I have them on my jeep. It stands out enough that it just doesn't matter. Yes someone could find my house. Whatever.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Personal opinion, I will not get a call sign plate for OPSEC reasons, but love my horny toad plate, want to keep it.
View Quote

I don't have a horny toad plate, but I sure as hell am not going to advertise my name and address to every clown who owns a smart phone, either.

OPSEC - live it, love it, learn it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I have ham plates on my jeep.  Given the number of times I've had this conversation, non-hams have no earthly notion what it is.

"Hey, what kind of plate is that?"

"Ham radio plates."

"What?"

"Ham radio....amateur radio..."

"What?"

When I had them on my Crown Vic, my neighbors just thought I was a cop or a G-man.  When I start hearing about someone being targeted based on their ham plates, or anyone for that matter, then I might worry about it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:17:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I have ham plates on one of my vehicles.  In my state they are the same look as a standard vanity plate.  It was only a $12 and change one time fee, so I went for it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:23:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have ham plates on my jeep.  Given the number of times I've had this conversation, non-hams have no earthly notion what it is.

"Hey, what kind of plate is that?"

"Ham radio plates."

"What?"

"Ham radio....amateur radio..."

"What?"

When I had them on my Crown Vic, my neighbors just thought I was a cop or a G-man.  When I start hearing about someone being targeted based on their ham plates, or anyone for that matter, then I might worry about it.
View Quote

Yeah, Ohio plates even say "Amateur Radio" on them and most people still can't figure it out.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:30:27 AM EDT
[#13]
OPSEC, I don't want some dildo running my sign off my plate through QRZ and having my address. Not all dirtbags are stupid.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What I have considered is a regular vanity plate with my call sign on it, and NOT the kind the state issues labeling you as a ham.

OPSEC but a ham would recognize it
View Quote

I've been thinking of doing the same. Amateur Radio plates are ugly in South Carolina. Another option is to print a vinyl sticker with 1" call sign letters and put it on the rear window in my truck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to have them, but got ones I liked better, so I took them off.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#16]
I dont want people to look up my plates and find out where I live...........

I NEVER plan on driving my car home.....

I didn't list my ULS address to a PO box....

So if your plates are issued to a PO box, whats the worst they find out? What town you live in? I bet your apartment parking pass says the same thing, or your dealer specific tag frame or emblem, etc etc
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Apartment parking pass?  Dealer tag frame or emblem?  WTF are these you speak of?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Apartment parking pass?  Dealer tag frame or emblem?  WTF are these you speak of?
View Quote

Nice tank icon. Let me tell you exactly where you work and what pay bracket you fall it.....
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I just got them on my truck. ULS is my QTH as well.

If you want to know where someone lives just follow them. Don't stop at his house just keep going.

Meh.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nice tank icon. Let me tell you exactly where you work and what pay bracket you fall it.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Senior NCO, and I don't work for .mil anymore.  Not everyone advertises where they live on their vehicles.  Michigan doesn't even list a county on the plates.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Senior NCO, and I don't work for .mil anymore.  Not everyone advertises where they live on their vehicles.  Michigan doesn't even list a county on the plates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how long did you drive around with a red sticker with the name of your base on the windshield?

If someone is trying to collect on you, QRZ is the least of your problems.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So how long did you drive around with a red sticker with the name of your base on the windshield?

View Quote

Lot of good that would have done them.  That base was in a different state except when I had TDY orders to be there.  Only information that would give them is I was a SM that did not rate a special rank sticker to go with it.  You are correct that sites such as spokeo and zabba pose more of a threat than someone snooping around the FCC page or qrz.  My point is why make it that much easier to gather info about me?  OPSEC has nothing to do with it.  PERSEC might though.  Spend enough time around convicted felons and get back with me on wanting to advertise certain information ALL the time.

Not knocking those that want to, but it is not for everyone.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I used to have them, but got ones I liked better, so I took them off.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:54:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Lot of good that would have done them.  That base was in a different state except when I had TDY orders to be there.  Only information that would give them is I was a SM that did not rate a special rank sticker to go with it.  You are correct that sites such as spokeo and zabba pose more of a threat than someone snooping around the FCC page or qrz.  My point is why make it that much easier to gather info about me?  OPSEC has nothing to do with it.  PERSEC might though.  Spend enough time around convicted felons and get back with me on wanting to advertise certain information ALL the time.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am just saying if anyone is going to notice 1) that you have a amateur radio tag, 2) know what/how to look up the call 3) then map it an hope that it's not an outdated address they could just follow you home, go back the next day in the evening and see if your car is there again.

What info does your Call sign give them? Your address and name? How long you have been a nerd?

I guarantee I can get that same info from 99% of hams using social engineering.

I don't have the tags on any of my vehicles, neither does my wife. Facebook gives away more info than any tag would. (I don't do FB anymore )
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I used to be concerned about the OPSEC issue. That's why I got someone else's callsign on my plates.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 11:52:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Not for me because AZ charges $25 per year for the tag. Money goes into the general fund...no thanks. If it went to an emergency affiliated group I would re-consider.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I am just saying if anyone is going to notice 1) that you have a amateur radio tag, 2) know what/how to look up the call 3) then map it an hope that it's not an outdated address they could just follow you home, go back the next day in the evening and see if your car is there again.
View Quote

Spent good money to have a garage, and about 6-7 months of the year the house is pretty well obscured from the road by vegetation anyway.  Again, I realize there are other ways to get information on someone.  I'm just not willing to put an easier way to identify me and my address everywhere I drive.  Not everyone has that reservation and that is great.  I also do not see me trying to talk with folks on the other side of the world.  Some of you all do.  Just because it is not for me, don't mean you shouldn't do it.

I know folks that put USPSA/IDPA or firearm manufacturer stickers all over their car, too.  I've shot USPSA for years and have yet to put their sticker on my car.  There are some things I just do not feel like advertising.

BTW, the main reason I take the dealer stickers and such off my vehicles is I paid them for the wheels, they don't pay me to advertise for them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 1:10:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Funny, we were just talking about aids for having a mobile QSO. People wanted more visibility - not less.

For the record, I have ham tags with my call on it. In TN, the tags are labeled as "Emergency" - more than once I've had someone zoom up on my bumper and then back-off. I'm assuming this is not because they have realized their mistake, but rather they read the tag and think they might be behind a cop. I strongly suspect that if someone is out to do me harm, my ham tag will not be the source of my demise. In general, I hope there are softer targets than me.

Cheers,
Brick
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Funny, we were just talking about aids for having a mobile QSO. People wanted more visibility - not less.

For the record, I have ham tags with my call on it. In TN, the tags are labeled as "Emergency" - more than once I've had someone zoom up on my bumper and then back-off. I'm assuming this is not because they have realized their mistake, but rather they read the tag and think they might be behind a cop. I strongly suspect that if someone is out to do me harm, my ham tag will not be the source of my demise. In general, I hope there are softer targets than me.

Cheers,
Brick
View Quote

Huh, how about that. Never saw one so I had to google.

Yeah, I can see how that would make a tailgater back off
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I used to be concerned about the OPSEC issue. That's why I got someone else's callsign on my plates.
View Quote

What did he do to piss you off?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pssst, it's your callsign.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:06:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn't do anything to piss me off. Just thought your callsign would look good on the back of my truck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ding
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:54:03 PM EDT
[#34]
No reason to advertise too much.  Although I do have a small NRA sticker on the side window.

Bill
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#35]
You guys do realize anyone can find out who you are:

Some states allow DMV records access

County assessor's office if your name is on the deed to your house

If you rent, public utilities may be accessible (Elec., gas, water, sewer, garbage)

Public records for civil actions or criminal/traffic

Credit Bureau (not your credit report but everything associated, and you have to pay)

So if you want to remain anonymous, you've got your work cut out to do some hiding.

I'm not concerned if I'm parked at the house, but some looney/road rager who does know how to use qrz, maybe a bit concerned.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#36]
I kind of like the way they look in TX (and in CT where I used to live).  And they're cheaper than the regular plate.  The average malevolent schmuck who may want to do you harm is not going to know that A) the squiggly shapes on your license plate are a radio call sign or that B) they can look up the call sign online.  Even if they do, all they get from mine is a name, PO box, license class, etc.

Anyhoo, much of my interest in radio revolves around emergency support, so the plates are a helpful way to communicate to officials what my purpose is.  And that's the reason states offer them, usually at very reduced cost.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:00:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you rent, public utilities may be accessible (Elec., gas, water, sewer, garbage)
Credit Bureau (not your credit report but everything associated, and you have to pay)

View Quote

Agreed, for example:

I got letter informing me of a Freedom Of Information Act request... related to my backflow device for my irrigation system. A few days later I got a flyer in the mail for a company that wanted to service my system.

Brick
http://www.brickolore.com/

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#38]
I had them, but opted for VA's DTOM plates and the call sign didn't flow with the snake in the middle of the plate.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I thought about it but my Marine Corps plates > Ham radio plates

can't customize vanity plates in PA so that's that.....

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So if you want to remain anonymous, you've got your work cut out to do some hiding.

I'm not concerned if I'm parked at the house, but some looney/road rager who does know how to use qrz, maybe a bit concerned.  
View Quote

So, its a wast of time to lock my doors too?
There is no way to stop someone from find info or breaking in, but I don't have to make it that much easier for them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Just for a chuckle, put your call sign in Google, see what comes up.  I just did, only the call sign, and name, address popped up within a couple hits.  So, if you have it on your plate, anyone just putting that in Google has you.  Since your call sign is a matter of public record, it is everywhere, even places you never knew.  Now, to be realistic, what are the odds!  However, a couple years ago I found out I had expensive tickets to a basketball game in Atlanta!  Obviously, someone in a restaurant or whatever copied my name and address off a credit card.  When I called the ticket broker, they even had my phone number!  And it is a cell phone!  Googled my name and the third hit showed my phone number.  It was from the web page of a gun club I was an officer in!  So, does not require a rocket scientist to get enough on you for fraud.  Good news, ticket broker believed me and refunded to my credit card.  Now, I check card every couple days on line for strange charges.  We are all betting on the odds or we have to live in a cave.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We are all betting on the odds or we have to live in a cave.
View Quote
And this is it in a nutshell.

Personally I have a problem paying a premium to the state to have vanity plates. I get no increased value in having my call rather than some letter/number combination. However I did spring for my vanity call sign. There I did get some value in that I got a call that was easy on CW and didn't sound as if I smelled something bad.

On the OPSEC side I've always kept a low profile. No gun stickers, no skydive stickers, no ham stickers, no politics stickers. My truck is a plain truck that looks like the other 10,000 plain trucks out there. It's the way I want it. If you want to know something about me you'll have to a least put a tiny bit of effort into it rather than me give you my life history in a bound volume with a bow around it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I have had ham plates on my car since around 1992.  I currently have the old-style New York ham plates that have embossed lettering.  The current ones have the same design but are flat with printed lettering.  In fact, all New York vanity plates are now flat.  Only sequentially issued plates are still embossed.  Personally I prefer embossed to the flat plates.  They just look better and I think the embossed font is cleaner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top