Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2013 4:56:21 PM EDT
It takes little power and provides a wireless document library in your AO. Store band plan files, antenna recipies, reference books, and maybe even something recreational too.

What purpose can you come up with for having a wireless library built into your EMCOM?

Link Posted: 11/5/2013 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I probably don't fully understand the capability but what is the advantage of the Library Box over a thumb drive other than you can have multiple users if they are close enough?
Link Posted: 11/5/2013 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Think of it as a wifi enabled thumb drive that you can access from any device that can open a web page over wifi, not just a full computer with a USB slot. It is also multi-user instead of only being accessible by one person/device at a time.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 2:30:55 AM EDT
[#5]
OP this post makes me happy

I bought one of these for when I was away from home. It worked great but it gave me some ideas.

1) it allows you to share files over it via a micro SD
2) it has gps that can be shared to any connected device
3) the battery last for days

Cons
1) no port forwarding
2) file share interface is lacking

All and all it was pretty good to go. My biggest complaint was the port forwarding.

While it doesn't have 4g capabilities I set DD-WRT up on my raspberry pi. Bam everything that was lacking with the mifi is now there. File shares are easy. I am trying to look around to get the same gps dameon into DD-WRT so that connected devices can have a gps stream.

The reason I went down this road was because during field day we setup a networked logging system that wasn't as simple as I thought it should be.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:25:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Huh....What about a Rasberry Pi setup as a file-server with a small wifi router attached?

Can that work?

Power requirements are minimal,  Small Form Factor,  Might be a winner!
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#7]
That was the plan for my JNOS box, to allow message passing but also to serve relevant documents via packet.  Turns out the biggest problem was training people how to use packet!
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:50:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Can someone explain this to my dumb self?

What advantage does this have over a tablet or even a smart phone that most people have these days? For example, I carry my iPad with me almost everywhere and I keep lots of useful reference information on it. How is this different?
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Huh....What about a Rasberry Pi setup as a file-server with a small wifi router attached?

Can that work?

Power requirements are minimal,  Small Form Factor,  Might be a winner!
View Quote

See my post above. There is a DD-WRT image for the pi. All you need is a USB wifi card, I recommend the Alpha ones
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 6:43:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What advantage does this have over a tablet or even a smart phone that most people have these days? For example, I carry my iPad with me almost everywhere and I keep lots of useful reference information on it. How is this different?
View Quote

Say for some reason we are together doing something. We are in the sticks and you want to pull up a band plan or some other technical document that your don't have. This device and others like that can act as file servers.

You connect your iPad or phone to this devices wifi signal and can browse the files stored on it.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

The idea is very similar, but the execution is much different as it is locked to one specific device. For a single person, that could be a good answer.

If you're using your ipad for something, I can't use it for something else.

If you leave your ipad somewhere or it gets broken or runs out of juice, nobody can use it for anything.

If multiple people have ipads with your information pre-loaded on them, you now have to keep track of what version of what doc is on what ipad.

With a running library box, everyone in the area could be accessing different information from it all at the same time.

If one device goes down, just pick up another and keep going.

Everyone will be looking at the same version/revision of every document.

Now, I'm not going to claim its perfect. I don't know how you'd update the info on it without pulling the flash drive and updating it offline from a computer. I will probably end up with one sooner than later, so I can answer questions then.

This is not a fancy digital data box or GPS enabled or, well, much else fancy.

What IS is VERY simple. One small box, one small flash drive, and a 5v USB power source.

Maybe the DD_WRT/PirateBox/Library box idea can be extended onto more capable hardware to offer the extra features you are asking for.

Link Posted: 11/6/2013 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]
I am not seeing a price but the kickstarter looks like it will run about $100. For half  that a raspberry pi or begalbone black will do the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/6/2013 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I am not seeing a price but the kickstarter looks like it will run about $100. For half  that a raspberry pi or begalbone black will do the same thing.
View Quote

The MR-3020 router is available on Amazon and Newegg for $35-$36 or so. Add a USB flash drive and the rest is free software. The kickstarter should be for a pre-built box, but this should be a simple DIY project.

the LINK wherein the hardware requirements are laid out

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:32:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very cool!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Did this and it worked, but I was a bit disappointed that the result was text only. I suppose the full wiki with images is too big...
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:51:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did this and it worked, but I was a bit disappointed that the result was text only. I suppose the full wiki with images is too big...
View Quote

click here for the post on the first page of the thread above, and see the paragraph starting with "important note":
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_17/649069__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Would_someone_provide_DETAILED_steps_to_download_the_Wiki_to_a_USB_drive___.html&page=1#i11071957

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Hmmm....  This might be of some use to distribute how-to or where-to information during a natural disaster response.

Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
The PirateBox software this is based on says you can upload files to it. I wonder if this feature is still available in the Library Box version?

Hmmm... I wonder if I can wait till Christmas to get an mr3020 to play with. :-)
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The PirateBox software this is based on says you can upload files to it. I wonder if this feature is still available in the Library Box version?

Hmmm... I wonder if I can wait till Christmas to get an mr3020 to play with. :-)
View Quote

Get a pi or bbb, install samba and you can upload and download.

What is it that is so appealing about this over any of the other embedded linux computers?
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#19]
It's fairly simple, very low power requirements, and exceptionally inexpensive. Those are all great points when I'm looking at shoehorning something completely outside my experience and comfort zones into my playtime.

I looked at the Kickstarter page -- They hit the stretch goals for supporting more hardware, putting FTP file update and mesh networking into the 2.0 release. Cool stuff. Now all I have to do is wait for the updated release.

"If we make it all the way to $30K, we will add mesh networking to LibraryBox 2.0. What is mesh networking? In short, it would allow LibraryBoxen to connect, peer-to-peer, and automatically compare and cross-load content from one box to the other."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top