Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 1:27:10 PM EDT
The kit came in today and I put it together

Over all it is a nice kit and I would say for the quality priced about right (about 130 shipped)

I made a few minor changes from the manual and now it feel s a little nicer:

The instructions tell you to take some sand paper and smooth out out the ends of the contact
thumb screws I also sanded the "paddle adjust screws" to smooth and slightly round them.
(at first I assembled it as per the manual but it became apparent the screws would most likely gouge in)
I also used a heavier silicone oil/Teflon mix and put a tiny dab on the paddle adjust screws
where they touch the paddle. I also put about a half drop of Breakfree CLP on each pivot pin.

I only use 3 of the 4 stick on feet so the key would not wobble (if you use 4 feet they can wobble)
I also installed the paddle arm upside down to lower it  (it is more comfortable for to use now)

It was missing 1 Allen key, but came with an extra shaft and washer.

Once adjusted it feels nice though the paddle is a little smaller than I like.

The finish is nice, and over all the action is nice.

In the end it let me realize just how rusty my cw has become

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:20:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I need a second key like a hole in my head, but I really want one. Or the Begali HST
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I need a second key like a hole in my head, but I really want one. Or the Begali HST
View Quote

It (the bushwhacker) is a nice key but I like the action of the Kent better

Edit... the more I use it the better it feels

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I also installed the paddle arm upside down to lower to  (it is more comfortable for to use now)
View Quote

It's nice to have that option.  The standard configuration looks like it would be a little too high for me, too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a sickness.  

I love the paddle I have now, but I want another one just like it, only with a different finish.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's nice to have that option.  The standard configuration looks like it would be a little too high for me, too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I also installed the paddle arm upside down to lower to  (it is more comfortable for to use now)

It put my wrist at an awkward angle, without the base it would be OK, but with the base it was too high
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's a sickness.  

I love the paddle I have now, but I want another one just like it, only with a different finish.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a sickness.  

What I REALLY want is a stainless steel paddle and the Begali traveler. And about 100 different ones I can't name off hand.  But the one I dream of is one of the Hy-mound special paddles they made in the 80s.  But they go for a bit more money that I would ever spend.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:34:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Give me my leg key and PRC74. Oh, the good old days.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Give me my leg key and PRC74. Oh, the good old days.
View Quote

I once had a CW QSO with a guy from Italy. He was operating a straight key with his LEFT leg.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the review - I'm liking my Mini-B so far too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey Harry , how do you attach the cable to it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:13:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey Harry , how do you attach the cable to it?
View Quote

Solder Lugs

The manual is  Here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top