Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2013 8:18:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:30:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I would think the TS-2000 would have made the cut. At least the TS590 is up near the top. More reason to save my pennies
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn the FTDX-5000 has some nice specs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#3]
That's makes be feel prety good with my recent purchase.

Thx for the link

HS
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
When you compare the top ten 100 watt rigs....and the price,  the TS-590 is a hell of a great radio.

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you compare the top ten 100 watt rigs....and the price,  the TS-590 is a hell of a great radio.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/0590lrg.jpg
View Quote

I have to agree.  I still wonder if I had bought one instead of going the IC-7000 then FT-2000D then K3 route if I'd still have the 590.  I still would love to have one as a back up rig, and that is a huge compliment.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have to agree.  I still wonder if I had bought one instead of going the IC-7000 then FT-2000D then K3 route if I'd still have the 590.  I still would love to have one as a back up rig, and that is a huge compliment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been talking to the wife about this empty spot beside my TS-2000...

I hope that kenwood replaces the 2000 with something like the IC-7000. Or I was just rich enough to afford the whole K3 setup
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I hope that kenwood replaces the 2000 with something like the IC-7000. Or I was just rich enough to afford the whole K3 setup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be able to pay for a fairly large portion of the K3 if you sold your 2000.  The base K3 is still a lot of radio... The add ons are nice, but the only one you really NEED is the ATU.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You should be able to pay for a fairly large portion of the K3 if you sold your 2000.  The base K3 is still a lot of radio... The add ons are nice, but the only one you really NEED is the ATU.
View Quote

I know I know... But my 2000 is an LE and I don't want to sell it, besides 2 is 1 and 1 is none
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

All they need to do in fix the damn RF output spike issue and it would be just about perfect.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Filters would be the better options to get.....especially if you run an amp and have an external tuner.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Filters would be the better options to get.....especially if you run an amp and have an external tuner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, externals are handy if you own one already.  The 500Hz roofing filter is kinda snazzy and the 200Hz is down right badass for contesting and busy bands.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:10:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

A nice rig indeed
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn. I may need to switch my next rig plans from an IC-7100 to a TS-590...
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I visited HRO in Oakland 2 weeks ago and spent half a day testing different radios. FTDX5000 was light years ahead of them all in receiver and DSP performance. That rig is truly amazing. They had an S4 noise at their QTH and the 5000 rig sounded like 2m FM, no noise nor distortion. Very impressive.
FTdx3000 came second. It has a very nice receiver and decent ergonomics but I did not like using the "fish finder" menus to change basic settings. It will probably take some time to get used to. I'm leaning towards purchasing one because it's cheap and it comes close to FTDX5000 in performance.
I was pleasantly surprised by Icom IC-7600. Nice receiver and well designed DSP. I would give it B+ for ergonomics because of tuning (VFO) knob location but it could be just my big hands getting in the way. This radio definitely deserves a frontline sticker.
This is how I like to compare radios. Same antenna and location. Just flip the switch and hear the difference.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine has recently (this year)  purchased a FTDX 5000, and an Alpha 9500. I really need to get over to his house and check them out one day.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I visited HRO in Oakland 2 weeks ago and spent half a day testing different radios. FTDX5000 was light years ahead of them all in receiver and DSP performance. That rig is truly amazing. They had an S4 noise at their QTH and the 5000 rig sounded like 2m FM, no noise nor distortion. Very impressive.
FTdx3000 came second. It has a very nice receiver and decent ergonomics but I did not like using the "fish finder" menus to change basic settings. It will probably take some time to get used to. I'm leaning towards purchasing one because it's cheap and it comes close to FTDX5000 in performance.
I was pleasantly surprised by Icom IC-7600. Nice receiver and well designed DSP. I would give it B+ for ergonomics because of tuning (VFO) knob location but it could be just my big hands getting in the way. This radio definitely deserves a frontline sticker.
This is how I like to compare radios. Same antenna and location. Just flip the switch and hear the difference.
View Quote

Did the same thing at my local HRO a couple of years ago and liked the 7600 better than the 5000. However I will say that I'm not a fan of Yaesu ergo's or styling, so that may have played a psychological role... I could buy a lot of 590's for the price, though...
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Actually I went there to test drive a 590. It not for me. I did not like the receive quality.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:17:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn. I may need to switch my next rig plans from an IC-7100 to a TS-590...
View Quote

I would
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Actually I went there to test drive a 590. It not for me. I did not like the receive quality.
View Quote

What exactly didn't you like about it?  Was the RX EQ set up all funky?  I thought on CW the thing sounded fantastic.  I didn't listen to one on SSB.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 2:28:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I had business trip near Milwaukee right after the TS-590 came out.

AES left me test drive and compare it to the FT-950 and Icom rigs

I played radio for about 45mins and fell in LOVE with the TS-590

they have a nice station set-up in there store

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What exactly didn't you like about it?  Was the RX EQ set up all funky?  I thought on CW the thing sounded fantastic.  I didn't listen to one on SSB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stop by a store and thoroughly test drive one sometime. You may have a different opinion.
SSB is my primary mode of operation. I did not spend a lot of time listening to CW.  I do some CW but good SSB audio is what really makes a good transceiver shine. This was my second time with the 590. I played with one in HRO in Virginia but they had lousy antennas and grumpy sales people to really form an opinion about any radio. I also assumed that something was set wrong and it was about closing time to go through the settings.
This time I had a manual and spent over an hour going through all parameters to make sure I did not miss anything. IMHO, the receiver seems too noisy when compared to others. Preamp was not on. Noise reduction is what really turned me off. It distorts audio quality quite a bit and sounds like you are listening underwater and it's audio sounded rasp with some ringing effect.  I found this very annoying and disappointing. Some people don't care about noise and never use NR function. I always use it on my radios, even with low noise level at my QTH (less than S1 most of the time). I was really thinking about buying one based on it's advertised parameters and low price.  
I also listened to a new TS-990. It does have a better receiver but not as good as Icoms and Yaesus (in the same class category). I only listened to the main receiver. TS-990 finish quality and ergonomics are superb. Kenwood engineers did a great job designing this radio. Everything looks in place and I wanted to put gloves before touching that marvel. I absolutely love the simulated analog VFO dial.. I wish there was a radio with FTDX5000 guts and TS-990 body and interface.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top