Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2013 8:07:34 PM EDT
I'm hoping to find a feature based DB for ham radios.

For example, I go to Cabelas' Web site looking to purchase a gun.  Once I select guns, I get a menu on the side of their Web site where I can select various check boxes, e.g. Rifle or Pistol.  If I check Pistol I get to choose Revolver or Semiauto, caliber, etc, etc, etc

Same deal if I go to Microcenter's Web site looking for anything, but let's use an SD or micro SD card as an example.  I can pick the form factor (SD/microSD/miniSD), capacity in GB, brand, or maybe even the class of memory.  I can select a range of prices, etc, etc, etc.

Now I notice that online ham radio stores don't have this feature in their shopping menus.  I'm wondering if someone has a radio DB somewhere online so I can pick band (HF/VHF/UHF/SHF), vendor, output power, bands (2m, 6m, 900MHz), features (digital modes, and which ones), and so on.

Does such a thing exist?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
No.

But go to www.universal-radio.com.

On the left, click Online Catalog.

Now click what you want.  You can read the features of each.

I'm not a big fan of eHam reviews.  There are some guys on there that must have personally tested every radio against every other radio and, well, I call BS on their posts.  They have reported things in some of their reviews that I know for fact are simply wrong, and they could not have actually gotten the results they claim.  BS artists.

And I can't say, stick to the top brands and you'll be fine.  There are some less popular brands that are just terrific, such as Ten-Tec.  EVERY Ten-Tec user loves his radio, you just don't see a lot of them being used.

Also, the specs aren't everything.  Radio A might have some particular spec that is better than Radio B's spec, but that does not necessarily mean that Radio A is the better radio in the real world.  Rather than looking at the numbers, look at the features.  Does it do what you want?

Also, I am not a big fan of the all bands in one radios.  They are a compromise all around.  I really prefer a dedicated HF rig and a dedicated VHF/UHF rig.  In fact, in my particular case, I don't need UHF as there is NO 440 activity in my area.  None.  That is one place to save money, by getting a plain 2m rig, for example.

Please don't ask us what's the best/cheapest widget.  Those two terms, best and cheap, are not compatible.  Better to ask, "I have $xxxxx to spend on a 2m rig.  What do you recommend in that price range?"
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy whatever Jupiter7200 tells you to.  That's what I do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:19:47 AM EDT
[#3]
This might get you part of the way there:

RigReference.com Advanced Search

Cheers,
Brick

Shamless self-plug...I don't maintain a database, but I do have a list of mostly Chinese radios here:

http://www.brickolore.com/p/the-radios.html
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cheers,
Brick

Shamless self-plug...I don't maintain a database, but I do have a list of mostly Chinese radios here:

View Quote

That is an impressive list...

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Cheers,
Brick

View Quote

I have drooled on your site extensively, and your work is appreciated.

ETA

Nice link on the Rig Reference as well.  About 2/3 of what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Brick -yes thank you!

Not a DB, but the catalogs Univrersal Radio used to send out did offer a side by side comparo of radios w/ specs FWIW
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just buy whatever Jupiter7200 tells you to.  That's what I do.
View Quote

This. He has never steered me wrong.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#8]
If you get the AES paper catalog it has comparison charts

http://www.aesham.com/

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If you get the AES paper catalog it has comparison charts

http://www.aesham.com/

View Quote

If you want a paper AES catalog, get one now. The latest rumor I heard (from someone at AES) is that the currant catalog is going to be the last. PDF from here on. I told the guy its hard to keep a PDF on the back of the toilet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top