Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2013 5:58:25 AM EDT
1. Get an Extra ticket. There are frequencies that are open to Extras that open a whole new world to you.

2. Learn to run splits. Guys running pileups on DXpeditions do this often.

3. Learn the DC code of conduct

4. Learn patience. Learn to work the bands and don't let the bands work you. When you have a scratch signal, just leave the rig on and do housework or something else. Either the signal will go away or improve. Screaming into a microphone when the station can't hear you only serves to add to the pileup and serves no purpose. Remember often the station you want is running a lot more power than you are. Make sure you have a good solid signal before you enter the fray.

5. If you are working for an award, get Log of the World. I did not do this and my DXCC has cost me a fortune in postage, cards and had led to frustration in getting QSL cards. Between mail thieves and lazy hams on the other end it has added an entire year to getting my award. I am STILL getting cards from QSOs well over a year ago. While not everyone does use LoTW, enough do so it will save you a bundle. You can mix paper and LoTW by filling out 2 applications.

6. Set a REALISTIC goal and work at it. Unrealistic goals lead to failure and frustration. Also know when to quit. I hit my DXCC with 106  mixed band phone and now my paper chasing days are pretty much over but I suppose I may add to it here and there for the hell of it. I am no longer driven but as I pick up an interesting one here or there I'll put the card aside and maybe every so often have them added to the pile every so often. It won't be a priority. My goal was to get a DXCC award to shut someone up and I did it.

7. Make sure it's fun. If it isn't, why bother?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Listening is the most important thing I have learned.  When you chase DX especially rare ones that generate huge pile ups, you have to be come a sniper, unless you have a contest grade station.  If you don't know what a contest grade station is, don't worry, you are a sniper...

You need to figure out what a DX station's pattern is, you need to learn propagation, and you also have to have a bit of luck. It brings me great joy to beat the big guns with my wire antenna, and that is why I do it

Thanks Pic, as always great post!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
1. Get an Extra ticket. There are frequencies that are open to Extras that open a whole new world to you.
View Quote

Yep, this was soooo obvious last night...everything I needed that was out there was outside general bands.  Working on it!

Quoted:
2. Learn to run splits. Guys running pileups on DXpeditions do this often.
View Quote

This took me once getting it wrong to learn how to do it on my rig...now I get all excited when I find someone running splits.

Quoted:
3. Learn the DC code of conduct
View Quote

Screaming like a looney?  Oh you mean being polite and trying to behave in the way the DX station seems to like callers to behave?  

Quoted:
4. Learn patience. Learn to work the bands and don't let the bands work you. When you have a scratch signal, just leave the rig on and do housework or something else. Either the signal will go away or improve. Screaming into a microphone when the station can't hear you only serves to add to the pileup and serves no purpose. Remember often the station you want is running a lot more power than you are. Make sure you have a good solid signal before you enter the fray.
View Quote

The one thing I have learned is when it sounds like there will be a chance for me based on the other stations calling.  If I am a dwarf among giants, I move on and come back later.

Quoted:
7. Make sure it's fun. If it isn't, why bother?
View Quote

I have seen this simple truth ruin so many hobbies for folks.  If it is annoying you, go do something that doesn't.  I was once ranting about a project I wasn't getting done quickly and the wife asked "What would you be doing now if you had that done?"  Well the next project on the ...oh...good point.  Now I try to acquire projects just so I won't ever run out.

How about 8.  Don't tune on the callers freq!  Man I hate that.  I guess that is really in #3 though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top