Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 1 of 16)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 3/14/2013 10:00:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jupiter7200]
On another thread I had said I would post something on programming the Baofeng UV-5R.  I'm figuring out to do "hot links" here, so here goes.

The Baofeng UV-5R, and related models, -5RA, -5R+, etc, are all the same under the skin.  There is no difference, they all have the same chassis and circuitry.

There are "firmware versions".  They all work just as well, but you run into some programming and cloning problem across some firmware versions.  No one is better than another, and the "latest firmware" is not a better performing radio than the older ones.  To find out your firmware version, turn the radio off.  Press 3, and while holding it, turn the radio on.  For just a second or two you will see the firmware number such as BFB281.  They all have BFB, so all you have to look for are the last three digits.  Make note of that somewhere.  It will come in handy later.

About version 251, the English voice was changed from a Chinese accent, known as "China Girl" to an American accent.  The earlier China Girl versions work as well as the later ones.

There are two sites you need to bookmark, where you can find all that I am going to outline, the Miklor site, and the UV-5R yahoo group.  I suggest you join.

http://www.miklor.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/baofeng_uv5r/

Here is a great English manual not written by the manufacturer.  It actually makes sense.

http://radiodoc.github.com/   Click the "Go Get It" button to download this good manual.

The Miklor site above tells you how to fix your Prolific driver problems IF it has a fake Prolific driver.  Most are.  

In my next post I'll go over manual programming.  Meanwhile, download and print this Menu description.

http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/UV-5R%20Menus.pdf

Jupiter7200

Link Posted: 10/7/2019 1:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged

The GT-3WP appears to be a waterproof (sort of) UV-82 and is sort of off the radar. Uses different mic/earpiece cable but is a neat option.

Trying to decide between RT systems & Chirp.

I've gor big paws, and the uv5r's feel too small for me. Figure for an extra $10 or so per radio + getting waterproof in the bargain was good enough reason to move to the GT3WP

http://www.miklor.com/COM/Review_GT3WP.php
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 4:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_Man:

From their website:

HOW DOES IT WORK?
When in range of one of the Freedom Group connected repeaters, you simply enter the repeater frequency, offset and PL tone into your radio of the nearest repeater and you will communicate with the full area of the Freedom Group FULL TIME CONNECTED Repeaters. In other words, the system is like ONE WIDE AREA REPEATER. If traveling, simply plot your travel route in relation to our repeaters. As readability lowers, simply switch to the next Freedom Link Repeater in your path. We hope to have a more detailed coverage map soon to assist you in your communication frequency selections.

For those that have been following the growth of the Freedom Ling Group, we have simplified the current format of the system. (No PL tone changes required) At some point there may be some instructional needs to connect with an outside repeater, but for this point in time the process is as easy as connecting to any repeater. All connections currently are 100% connections and are via RF (Radio Frequency) connection.

So there's two main ways that these networks of repeaters are linked.  The "easy" way is via the internet.  Easier to setup, but of course, dependent on the infrastructure carrying the internet connection, so it could go down in certain cases.

The other way, and according to the bold above is how they do it.  All of the repeater sites are linked together via RF.  How this is usually done is each repeater site tower has an additional radio and directional beam antenna setup (or several) that also repeats the signal that came into that site out to adjacent sites over the air.  Then those sites also daisy-chain it out until it hits all sites.  There are computers controlling everything, but everything goes out over the air so the links stay up so long as the sites have power.  Its also can be done on a different band to avoid interference with the main repeater, so say it's a 2 meter repeater, the link setup might be a 70cm setup.  Another way is to have the linking radio+beam antenna tuned to the input frequency of the other repeater it's pointing at, so it simply keys up that other repeater as if you were talking right into it.
View Quote
I get how the Freedom Link works within itself. But what about transmission outside of that system say to southern Arkansas or even further out?

I am guessing a better radio with a better antenna will get me further distant communication without the need of a repeater?
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 8:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By pumbaajk:

I get how the Freedom Link works within itself. But what about transmission outside of that system say to southern Arkansas or even further out?

I am guessing a better radio with a better antenna will get me further distant communication without the need of a repeater?
View Quote
Yes.  A VHF/UHF radio, even a 75 watt mobile, will only go line of sight. With a directional antenna and some open elevation, that can get up there, but for most users at or near ground you're limited to local use only of maybe the tens of miles.

To go furthur without added infrastructure, you'd need a radio in the HF bands.  The frequencies these operate are able to bounce signals off the atmosphere and back to Earth, giving them great range when conditions are good. You'd also need an appropriate antenna, which will be much larger and less portable than what a VHF/UHF radio can use because as you go down in frequency, you increase wavelength, and that means the size of a resonant antenna also increases.  And then the type of antenna and how its put up will effect the take-off angle of your signals and who you can reach. An antenna arranged for NVIS operation will allow for Your signals to cover a footprint about the size of most states, but you'll be mute past that. An antenna meant for good long range operation across the country or around the world will probably be useless for those regional sotuations within a hundred or two hundred miles, etc.  That side of the hobby has a lot more variation and experimentation to it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Well I bought a uv-5 a couple years ago with idea to get my tech and never got around to it. Now the ban got me to panic buy another but I mistakenly bought the GT model so the battery compartments are a little off but no to big a deal to overcome.

Anyway...now I got the bug to get my tech and I've started watching a YT course and taking the practice tests. And I'm trying to pick up some accessories to maximize these two radios. I got a couple of AA adapters and a programming cord for CHIRP. But what antennas should I get to maximize what these will do? I see the guy on YT has about a 18" antenna...

So which one...and what should I get to use the radios in the car?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

View Quote
Best thing you can do for vehicle use is mount an antenna on the outside of your vehicle.  Such as a mag mount.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 3:49:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TinLeg:

Best thing you can do for vehicle use is mount an antenna on the outside of your vehicle.  Such as a mag mount.
View Quote
But what length is best length?
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:00:30 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
For VHF/UHF ham bands, I'd just get a quarter wave whip dual bander. The vehicle's body acts as the ground plane, so mount it up on the roof or center of the trunk.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Merrell:
Tagged

The GT-3WP appears to be a waterproof (sort of) UV-82 and is sort of off the radar. Uses different mic/earpiece cable but is a neat option.

Trying to decide between RT systems & Chirp.

I've gor big paws, and the uv5r's feel too small for me. Figure for an extra $10 or so per radio + getting waterproof in the bargain was good enough reason to move to the GT3WP

http://www.miklor.com/COM/Review_GT3WP.php
View Quote
Chirp all day long.  Multiple radios, multiple tabs, all with one program is a big plus with me.  Well, and not having to use RT's branded cable, either.  I gave up with RT software when they forced you to use their cable with their software.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Don't overthink it.  Any Amateur dual band antenna mounted to the vehicle will be very much improved over using the ht from inside the truck.
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Well I bought a uv-5 a couple years ago with idea to get my tech and never got around to it. Now the ban got me to panic buy another but I mistakenly bought the GT model so the battery compartments are a little off but no to big a deal to overcome.

Anyway...now I got the bug to get my tech and I've started watching a YT course and taking the practice tests. And I'm trying to pick up some accessories to maximize these two radios. I got a couple of AA adapters and a programming cord for CHIRP. But what antennas should I get to maximize what these will do? I see the guy on YT has about a 18" antenna...

View Quote
For that HT, just one of those short 1/4 wave mini mag mounts for about $10 work fine.  Throwing a huge antenna on something with a very sensitive (and not very selective) receiver, will just lead to overload.  Even the chinese mobiles have that issue, sometimes.  I've had that problem once in a while with my QYT KT-7900D tri-bander.  (Same radio as the BTech 25X4, the 4th band is useless).
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I ordered the  MV-5R and a spare battery Monday from "those whom we do not speak of".
Link Posted: 10/8/2019 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Sept 29 I ordered another UV-5R+Plus but in blue and just finished installing Chirp with the B-Tech PC03 FTDI programming cable. Took 15 min to get everything the way I wanted, now waiting on a wire extension so this awkward Abbree 48" tactical antenna does not snap in the radio This radio came with a different stock antenna than the previous one, it's flexible and thinner towards the tip. The radio works just the same as the one I purchased last year for like $20 on Woot.com
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:07:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I have enough spares that I don't need to order more.  Just gotta remember to charge the batteries every so often to keep them in better shape.  I have a couple spare BF-F9V2+'s, spare red and yellow uv5r's.  UV6R, a couple UV-82's, blah blah blah... It's a sickness.    That's along with the small fleet of Yaesu and Kenwood HTs.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:16:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#15]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Good info, thanks!  I knew not to store them discharged, but the other info helps.  Maybe I'll get a nice box to keep in the fridge to keep them from getting damaged when the wife moves stuff around.  Tho, she's an Extra, too.  She should know better.  lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#17]
tag
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Doppleganger871:
Good info, thanks!  I knew not to store them discharged, but the other info helps.  Maybe I'll get a nice box to keep in the fridge to keep them from getting damaged when the wife moves stuff around.  Tho, she's an Extra, too.  She should know better.  lol
View Quote
If you want more protection build yourself a simple ammo can faraday cage, many tutorials on YouTube. Everyone wants these for SHTF, might as well protect them till then
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By aeroworksxp:
I have two GT-3tp radios. Work very well. Highly recommend. 8 watts.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71nnFehi7rL._SX679_.jpg
View Quote
Cost?
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Anybody got an freq list of the TV stations in north Florida so I can listen to the news?
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mamasboy:
Anybody got an freq list of the TV stations in north Florida so I can listen to the news?
View Quote
If anyone has the info you need it would be this site.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Seth_Livzz:

If anyone has the info you need it would be this site.
View Quote
Yea got that but no TV. I found TV47 at 450.460 but that's all so far.
Link Posted: 10/22/2019 6:17:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#23]
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm having an awful time with a set of F8HP radios and SMA to SO-239 adapters. I started with a set of the short patch cables and it worked for a couple of weeks and then I went to test a brick and when I assembled it all the radio was cutting in and out. I thought it was a bad brick (it's old) and removed it and the problem was still there.

I thought it was the cable so I tried the second one in the set and it didn't work either. Then I tried a second and third TX and they didn't work either. Then I got a set of solid adapters and they don't work any better.

I can assemble any combination of male and female patch cables and adapters (I have extras for my vna) and they all work fine on my base station and between the ht and it's rubber ducky, including a short run of coax. If I connect the ht to my jpole with an adapter it doesn't work. Dead silent.

Anyone else have a similar set of issues? Maybe the impedance of the adapters is wrong?

I tried to measure the rubber ducky's impedance on the vna using a short cable and then adding in a pair of adapters back-back and measuring it again. I didn't have a good ground plane (cookie sheet...) and I don't really know how to use it or trust it (not shielded). That said either the impedance is the same or it's 45ohm instead of 50ohm at 140mhz.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:45:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthCRF] [#25]
Originally Posted By Nmbmxer:
I'm having an awful time with a set of F8HP radios and SMA to SO-239 adapters. I started with a set of the short patch cables and it worked for a couple of weeks and then I went to test a brick and when I assembled it all the radio was cutting in and out. I thought it was a bad brick (it's old) and removed it and the problem was still there.

I thought it was the cable so I tried the second one in the set and it didn't work either. Then I tried a second and third TX and they didn't work either. Then I got a set of solid adapters and they don't work any better.

I can assemble any combination of male and female patch cables and adapters (I have extras for my vna) and they all work fine on my base station and between the ht and it's rubber ducky, including a short run of coax. If I connect the ht to my jpole with an adapter it doesn't work. Dead silent.

Anyone else have a similar set of issues? Maybe the impedance of the adapters is wrong?

I tried to measure the rubber ducky's impedance on the vna using a short cable and then adding in a pair of adapters back-back and measuring it again. I didn't have a good ground plane (cookie sheet...) and I don't really know how to use it or trust it (not shielded). That said either the impedance is the same or it's 45ohm instead of 50ohm at 140mhz.
View Quote
Mine do the same with any real antenna. Overload issue. Turning on tdr (menu 7 iirc) makes it work for some reason. Still hard to scan because tdr is off when scanning.

With it off, I can tune to a known strong broadcast (noaa) and hear nothing, even opening squelch manually. Turn on tdr and it is crystal clear.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Turning TDR fixed my no receive issue. A set of new cables from MPD Degital fixed my connection issues.

TDR stinks on the Baofeng, with no automuting I basically have to tune to a dead frequency and only have the A channel working. Unless I put a crappy antenna on it and then it's fine...
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 12:33:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Turning TDR fixed my no receive issue. A set of new cables from MPD Degital fixed my connection issues.

TDR stinks on the Baofeng, with no automuting I basically have to tune to a dead frequency and only have the A channel working. Unless I put a crappy antenna on it and then it's fine...
View Quote

I was putting a/b on same channel which still seems to work for the reception issue. I think I'm going to program my 000 slot to a frequency out of the radio's physical limits with transmit inhibited for times when I connect to roll-up. That should fully inhibit tx/rx on one "side" while allowing to work around the tdr bug
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 3:20:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By brass:
When you say turn on TDR, do you mean set it to always use A or B, or to turn on "xmit last receive" (the "off" setting)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthCRF:

Mine do the same with any real antenna. Overload issue. Turning on tdr (menu 7 iirc) makes it work for some reason. Still hard to scan because tdr is off when scanning.

With it off, I can tune to a known strong broadcast (noaa) and hear nothing, even opening squelch manually. Turn on tdr and it is crystal clear.
When you say turn on TDR, do you mean set it to always use A or B, or to turn on "xmit last receive" (the "off" setting)?
A, B or last receive would be the priority setting.  I believe he means just turning the feature (dual standby) on.  That is, dual standby can be switched off (default mode from factory).  I hope that helps.  Or I don't understand the question.
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/21/2019 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kates:
A, B or last receive would be the priority setting.  I believe he means just turning the feature (dual standby) on.  That is, dual standby can be switched off (default mode from factory).  I hope that helps.  Or I don't understand the question.
View All Quotes

Yes, that is what I meant.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 12:00:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kates] [#32]
Ok, thanks.  I'm trying to figure out why I can receive NOAA, and a very occasional short chat on GMRS, but the local Ham repeater is silent, I programmed it from Radio Reference, I suppose I should verify it to make sure it didn't change or go out of service (and make sure I didn't do it wrong).
View All Quotes

Ok, thanks.  I'm trying to figure out why I can receive NOAA, and a very occasional short chat on GMRS, but the local Ham repeater is silent, I programmed it from Radio Reference, I suppose I should verify it to make sure it didn't change or go out of service (and make sure I didn't do it wrong).
One of the things I have found annoying about the Baofengs is in channel mode they will not display the offset or the tone settings (they in fact appear not to be set at all).  That threw me off and I even posted the question (maybe in this thread?) and others confirmed that is how they are.  So you have to rely on the programming from the computer and assume it's right.  As far as I know, it is right.  I used Chirp and it seems to be correct.

ETA: yup, I asked in this thread.   Right here.
Link Posted: 12/7/2019 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Bump so it won't archive.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 4:08:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankW134] [#34]
Anyone pickup a UV-9R yet?  Price point looks good, advertised as IP67.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/baofeng-uv-9r-plus-ip67-waterproof-walkie/493984210.html#s1-5-1b;srp|0938425696
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Tagging for VA Lobby Day prep.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:22:55 PM EDT
[#36]
So I take it these are still for sale?
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 3:19:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Yes, they are still for sale.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By AndBen:
Tagging for VA Lobby Day prep.
View Quote
Ditto
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 3:04:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BrowardMason] [#39]
I've got a couple of these set up for GMRS. I bought the GMRS license and programmed the radios with CHIRP.

Can someone recommend a decent antenna?

How about an earpiece and mic too?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BrowardMason:
I've got a couple of these set up for GMRS. I bought the GMRS license and programmed the radios with CHIRP.

Can someone recommend a decent antenna?

How about an earpiece and mic too?
View Quote
Antenna

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KBZLOHC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KC4PWQQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Speaker mic

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MX4J3W8/?coliid=I33TKJOMC1GMO0&colid=1PBA450ZLOSCG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

or

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-QHM22-Platinum-Rainproof-Shoulder/dp/B00Z4X3MM6/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2RS0Z77VW92RG&keywords=btech+speaker+mic&qid=1578258655&sprefix=btech+spe%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-3

I don't use an ear piece. Radio comes with one that is ok, not great
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Picked up several of the AA alkaline battery cases for the UV5R along with some place holder dummy batteries. They work very well. Five AA cells and one dummy gives 7.5v
The ones I got required taking an exacto knife the the latch face and removing a tiny sliver of material for them to lock up on the radio.
Also bought a 6 gang drop in charger, the perfect thing when using multiple radios.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeyes711] [#42]
How do you use ctcs, and dcs? Using either,  doesnt matter how configured won't work.  If i set one radio to t ctcs 67 htz, the other radio still picks it up when you transmit.  Same with dcs settings.  I'm under vfo freq. Mode.

I can't figure it out. it does work for scan,  you have to select a number before selecting scan. Can't scan with set to off. My frs cobra radio can still pick up the transmit when ctcs settings are on...
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:38:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthCRF] [#43]
Originally Posted By snakeyes711:
How do you use ctcs, and dcs? Using either,  doesnt matter how configured won't work.  If i set one radio to t ctcs 67 htz, the other radio still picks it up when you transmit.  Same with dcs settings.  I'm under vfo freq. Mode.

I can't figure it out. it does work for scan,  you have to select a number before selecting scan. Can't scan with set to off. My frs cobra radio can still pick up the transmit when ctcs settings are on...
View Quote
That's not how tones work. The receiving radio will hear all transmissions unless its receive tone is set.

It doesn't give you ANY privacy, only eliminates you from hearing chatter you don't want.

Set your receive and transmit tones the same on both radios if you want to only hear each other. This may cause you to step on others sharing frequency.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 6:46:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: snakeyes711] [#44]
That's not how tones work. The receiving radio will hear all transmissions unless its receive tone is set.

It doesn't give you ANY privacy, only eliminates you from hearing chatter you don't want.

Set your receive and transmit tones the same on both radios if you want to only hear each other. This may cause you to step on others sharing frequency.
View Quote

Crystal

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pronto-Tonto] [#45]
Gentlemen,
Could I ask for you valuable assistance.  I have 2 baofeng 5R2 radios.  I do not have my Ham licenses yet but got my gmrs a couple of weeks ago.  Do you know if my model is capable of being used for gmrs communications.   And if so how could I go about selecting the frequency to do it?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#46]

You can send any radio to a Nanocoating service which then puts a hydrophobic coating over all the circuit board, speakers, etc.   Even a non-sealed radio won't be hurt being in water.

I think it's around $50 to get it done, but cheaper than buying a rated underwater one if the worse anticipated is it's rained or spalshed on or gets dropped in mud.

View Quote

What I've used on my RC items to protect them from water:

https://www.corrosionx.com/collections/corrosion-prevention-control/products/corrosionx

How to Water Proof All Electronics-Corrosion x

Link Posted: 8/2/2020 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Sorry if this is a bit of a necro-post.  I just passed my Technician exam yesterday.  I currently have a Baofeng "UV-5R8W" (that I ordered as a package with an extended battery and 18.5" Abbree foldable antenna on Amazon through the Abbree store).  I just placed an order for the Baofeng Tech programming cable, so it should be here this week, along with my call sign in the FCC database.  My firmware number, as it appears on my radio's display screen is BFB298.  I have downloaded the CHIRP software.

Now for my questions:  I have not seen this model variant of the radio anywhere else.  I think it was perhaps a special model number given to a large batch of these that Abbree possibly ordered from BF.  Does anyone know whether I would select "UV-5R" or "BF-F8HP" once I start programming this in CHIRP?  Does my firmware number indicate whether or not I will have any problems with programming this?  Anything else I need to be aware of before I start programming this in the coming week?  Once I begin to program, how do I know what frequencies and offsets to program into the radio?  Is this something I find online?  Or is this something that comes up in CHIRP?
Link Posted: 8/3/2020 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By NC_Parrothead:
Sorry if this is a bit of a necro-post.  I just passed my Technician exam yesterday.  I currently have a Baofeng "UV-5R8W" (that I ordered as a package with an extended battery and 18.5" Abbree foldable antenna on Amazon through the Abbree store).  I just placed an order for the Baofeng Tech programming cable, so it should be here this week, along with my call sign in the FCC database.  My firmware number, as it appears on my radio's display screen is BFB298.  I have downloaded the CHIRP software.

Now for my questions:  I have not seen this model variant of the radio anywhere else.  I think it was perhaps a special model number given to a large batch of these that Abbree possibly ordered from BF.  Does anyone know whether I would select "UV-5R" or "BF-F8HP" once I start programming this in CHIRP?  Does my firmware number indicate whether or not I will have any problems with programming this?  Anything else I need to be aware of before I start programming this in the coming week?  Once I begin to program, how do I know what frequencies and offsets to program into the radio?  Is this something I find online?  Or is this something that comes up in CHIRP?
View Quote

For frequencies, you are going to want to use whatever online resources for your area - such as RepeaterBook and radio clubs nearby you find on Google.

For the record I strongly recommend programming several repeaters by hand, this way you know how to do it when you lose power and your laptop battery is dead. I programmed over 150 repeaters by hand in 2 hours when I got my first UV5R and now I’ll never forget how to do it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#49]
I appreciate the advice.  Did some quick googling and found a good cheat sheet on programming by hand and did a few before my cable came in.  (And my questions were stupid - CHIRP is pretty much dummy-proof.)
Link Posted: 8/8/2020 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By NC_Parrothead:
I appreciate the advice.  Did some quick googling and found a good cheat sheet on programming by hand and did a few before my cable came in.  (And my questions were stupid - CHIRP is pretty much dummy-proof.)
View Quote
care to share your cheat sheet?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Baofeng UV-5R information (Page 1 of 16)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top