Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2012 4:41:06 AM EDT
Are there any programs for DSTAR? Like fldigi that allows your computer and sound card to do the work and be adapted to any radio?

Link Posted: 12/24/2012 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#1]
D-STAR uses a patented, closed-source proprietary voice codec .....you have to pay to play.

The only thing I can think of is a DV Dongel

There is nothing free that I can think of that will let you play D-Star.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I found this the other night.
http://dstarradioclub-international.com/
After the holiday and gun rush I am going to research it more.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 1:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So why can't I just use my soundcard? I can emulate packet ax25 with a soundcard.

what's this gun rush y'all are talking about.
Link Posted: 12/24/2012 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Those interfaces I linked to use an Icom module that has the encoding and decoding protocols hard coded in them.
The coding is a licensed copyright product and no one can reproduce it in software without violating copyright laws.

Packet is much less involved. Consider it more or less broadcasting and DStar is directed station to station or repeater. Like each station has an IP address.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 3:04:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
D-STAR uses a patented, closed-source proprietary voice codec .....you have to pay to play.

The only thing I can think of is a DV Dongel

There is nothing free that I can think of that will let you play D-Star.

The DVAP and DV-DONGLE products will let you use a computer to connect to DSTAR.  However the radio that you might buy does need the digital decoder/encoder. There are a few 3rd party companies now that make these.  As far as I know, ICOM does not charge someone to make a radio with DSTAR capability, it just needs the same chip.

You can now convert ANY analog radio into a DSTAR radio. You just need some gear.

DSTAR Adapters

And NW radio is making a 25w hotspot unit also.

LINK TO RADIO

HotSpot Info

I got into it because of the Digital mode. The audio quality is very good, it just sounds a little different than a typical FM modulation.  You learn to recognize the voices of folks very fast.  I have the 92AD and also a DVAP.  What I ALSO like, is someone with a scanner cant decode my signal :)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top