Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2012 9:56:44 PM EDT
My wife is a school teacher an has a preprogrammed walkie talkie.  No LCD screen.  It is a motorola radio and has like 10 channels.  Is there any tricks to find out what frequencies it broadcasts on?
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a frequency counter to display the transmit frequency for each channel?

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 10:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked up the product specs online to figure out what band they are broadcasting in and then have her hold down the PTT key and talk while you scan through the VHF/UHF listed.  Worked for me I guess.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Not sure if this is true with your wife's Motorola, but with an Icom you can use the relevant programming software/cable to read the configuration. Whenever I buy a used radio I make it a habit to back up the existing configuration before wiping the unit and uploading my own-just in case the previous owner needs it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
What model is it?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#5]
since its a school im going to take a guess it is either a MURS radio or a FRS/GMRS radio.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 10:59:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
since its a school im going to take a guess it is either a MURS radio or a FRS/GMRS radio.

99.999999% chance it's on neither of those sets of frequencies.  Probably a preprogrammed low power business frequencies radio, or else a standard programmable LMR type.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Key the mike and have her count to 100.

Have the FT60 on scan till you hit it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Use a frequency counter to display the transmit frequency for each channel?

+1

use a freq counter

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#9]
This is reason enough to get an inexpensive frequency counter. Can come in handy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I would google the model number and try to find the manual. The manual will probably help you figure out the best/cheapest of the above options for finding the frequency, and may even help you figure it out just from the documentation alone.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

99.999999% chance it's on neither of those sets of frequencies.  Probably a preprogrammed low power business frequencies radio, or else a standard programmable LMR type.

hate to tell you but every school here is using MURS. some are still using the old "DOT" freq's but they are all scheduled to be updated by years end to MURS. the schools are only talking around there own school/property so they work just fine for that. the school board does have a UHF repeater setup for the buses and bus shop but thats its own system with limited users.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top