Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2012 10:18:42 PM EDT
And they use business radios and have a repeater.  They were in the 440-460ish range and I could pick up their communications.  I had one of my friends who turns out is a HAM guy with a general license shoot me the repeater outbound frequency but I couldn't hear it.  Why couldn't I hear it?  

Now for business radios, they work in both VHF in the 150-175 range and the UHF at around where I was. But besides the length of the antenna, how can you tell how each radio is transmitting? I had to eventually just search until I picked up traffic and that was cool, but are there some tips or tricks to do this to make it easier?

also, I had a thought, like if you were on a band and chatting couldn't someone listen as well and if you were on a frequency transmitting data couldn't someone else read the data?  And is or is not encryption allowed when transmitting data over the air?  

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 4:42:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
And they use business radios and have a repeater.  They were in the 440-460ish range and I could pick up their communications.  I had one of my friends who turns out is a HAM guy with a general license shoot me the repeater outbound frequency but I couldn't hear it.  Why couldn't I hear it?  Maybe nobody was talkikng? (not trying to be a wise-guy)

Now for business radios, they work in both VHF in the 150-175 range and the UHF at around where I was. But besides the length of the antenna, how can you tell how each radio is transmitting? Do you mean which band?   I had to eventually just search until I picked up traffic and that was cool, but are there some tips or tricks to do this to make it easier?

Also, I had a thought, like if you were on a band and chatting couldn't someone listen as well and if you were on a frequency transmitting data couldn't someone else read the data?  Yes, absolutely

And is or is not encryption allowed when transmitting data over the air?  Encryption is not allowed on the amateur radio bands

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Encryption is not permitted on ham bands, but spread spectrum is.  This mode effectively hides your transmission unless you have the specialized
equipment and DS or PN codes to follow the signal.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 1:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they use business radios and have a repeater.  They were in the 440-460ish range and I could pick up their communications.  I had one of my friends who turns out is a HAM guy with a general license shoot me the repeater outbound frequency but I couldn't hear it.  Why couldn't I hear it?  Maybe nobody was talkikng? (not trying to be a wise-guy) If you heard them on frequencies other than the repeater output then they were using simplex (i.e. direct).  If that were the case you wouldn't hear anything on the repeater.  

Now for business radios, they work in both VHF in the 150-175 range and the UHF at around where I was. But besides the length of the antenna, how can you tell how each radio is transmitting? Do you mean which band?  The radios are most likely programmed as channels.  You'd have to either hear them on the air or know how they're programmed to know which band they're using (assuming they're dual-band radios, anyway) I had to eventually just search until I picked up traffic and that was cool, but are there some tips or tricks to do this to make it easier? Find out which frequencies are programmed on each channel and set those frequencies in your HT's memory.  You can then scan your memory channels.

Also, I had a thought, like if you were on a band and chatting couldn't someone listen as well and if you were on a frequency transmitting data couldn't someone else read the data?  Yes, absolutely  If you're talking about Amateur bands then yes, legally speaking.  Amateur Radio is open by design.  There is no expectation of privacy.

And is or is not encryption allowed when transmitting data over the air?  Encryption is not allowed on the amateur radio bands  Some say encryption is legal so long as you post the key in an open place.  I wouldn't risk it, though.

Link Posted: 11/21/2012 3:58:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And they use business radios and have a repeater.  They were in the 440-460ish range and I could pick up their communications.  I had one of my friends who turns out is a HAM guy with a general license shoot me the repeater outbound frequency but I couldn't hear it.  Why couldn't I hear it?  Maybe nobody was talkikng? (not trying to be a wise-guy) If you heard them on frequencies other than the repeater output then they were using simplex (i.e. direct).  If that were the case you wouldn't hear anything on the repeater.  

Now for business radios, they work in both VHF in the 150-175 range and the UHF at around where I was. But besides the length of the antenna, how can you tell how each radio is transmitting? Do you mean which band?  The radios are most likely programmed as channels.  You'd have to either hear them on the air or know how they're programmed to know which band they're using (assuming they're dual-band radios, anyway) I had to eventually just search until I picked up traffic and that was cool, but are there some tips or tricks to do this to make it easier? Find out which frequencies are programmed on each channel and set those frequencies in your HT's memory.  You can then scan your memory channels.

Also, I had a thought, like if you were on a band and chatting couldn't someone listen as well and if you were on a frequency transmitting data couldn't someone else read the data?  Yes, absolutely  If you're talking about Amateur bands then yes, legally speaking.  Amateur Radio is open by design.  There is no expectation of privacy.

And is or is not encryption allowed when transmitting data over the air?  Encryption is not allowed on the amateur radio bands  Some say encryption is legal so long as you post the key in an open place.  I wouldn't risk it, though.

Super helpful. Thank you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top