Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2012 9:54:26 AM EDT
contemplating running a moble amp. I know they make them, and it's entirely feasible. Just curious if anyone does, what they use (amp, tuner, antenna), and if they think it's worthwhile.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of the 12V mobile amps aren't known for their spectral purity. A Kenwood TS 480 HX works well in this case. 73, Rob
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
For what band? For HF, get an SGV PowerCube if you can find one. The other option is the MFJ/Ameritron moble amp. It's ugly but tends to work well as long as you keep sufficient ventilation.

I have a 200 watt TS-480HX. I've never felt like I needed more power. I've had some nice ragchews on 75 meters at night while on road trips. One evening I was in a chat with 7 other folks and after two hours I mentioned that I was mobile. They didn't believe me I had been 10 to 20 over S9 the entire time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For what band? For HF, get an SGV PowerCube if you can find one. The other option is the MFJ/Ameritron moble amp. It's ugly but tends to work well as long as you keep sufficient ventilation.

I have a 200 watt TS-480HX. I've never felt like I needed more power. I've had some nice ragchews on 75 meters at night while on road trips. One evening I was in a chat with 7 other folks and after two hours I mentioned that I was mobile. They didn't believe me I had been 10 to 20 over S9 the entire time.

What kind of antenna? I'll admit, my antennas need some work as well. For HF, I'm using bumper mounted whips, which we all know are total shit.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What kind of antenna? I'll admit, my antennas need some work as well. For HF, I'm using bumper mounted whips, which we all know are total shit.

Tarheel 100a HP

Though I never use it. I'm thinking about removing the radio from the truck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 1:34:42 PM EDT
[#5]
If you decide to get rid of it, let me know.

In laws live out in North Dakota. So I get to take road trips out there every now and then. And I commute about a half hour on way to work. So I do tune in from time to time. I drive an 02 Suburban. Looking at upgrades. The antenna needs to be replaced/upgraded, and I've been thinking an amp as well. I already installed a spare battery bracket in the burban for added power/backup power. FT-857, LDG Z-11 Pro tuner (would need to be changed with an amp).

All in all, not probably worth going with the amp idea. But considering it nonetheless.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

For HF, get an SGV [SGC  -Slice] PowerCube if you can find one.

I ordered one of these from R&L on black friday 2010.  I'm still waiting...

They're apparently made of unobtainium.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:24:09 AM EDT
[#7]
don't forget rf safety when you add some fire in the wire w/an antenna so close to the noggin.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
For HF, get an SGV [SGC  -Slice] PowerCube if you can find one.

I ordered one of these from R&L on black friday 2010.  I'm still waiting...

They're apparently made of unobtainium.

Whoops, typo.

The PowerCube is made with transistors that are no longer manufactured. The amp hasn't exactly been discontinued, but manufacture has stopped until they find a replacement... so effectively it has been. You have to find a used one.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 7:35:15 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are going to run power mobile look at your antenna first. The ones the high power mobile guys are running are all pretty much Hi-q's. Built like a tank and don't have tubes that move up and down changing the length of the antenna. They use a fixed coil that has a contact inside that moves so little to no weather worry. I did the 5-160 and love it. Yes expensive but the antenna is where all the magic happens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top