Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2012 4:57:41 PM EDT
So... I'm currently deployed and have a decent amount of free time at my disposal. Part of my free time has been dedicated to the study of amateur radio. Due to that interest, I am thinking that I would like to purchase a portable shortwave radio to hold me over during my deployment until I can get back to the states and get my actual license. It would also allow me to get a bit more SA on what's around me.

My two options on the table are currently a TECSUN PL380 and a TECSUN PL660..

The PL380 is about half the price of the PL660 but at the cost of several key features, such as AIR band. I'm not sure what to do.

I am very new to the study of radio technology; therefore, your greater wisdom and instruction is being requested in this endeavor.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So... I'm currently deployed and have a decent amount of free time at my disposal. Part of my free time has been dedicated to the study of amateur radio. Due to that interest, I am thinking that I would like to purchase a portable shortwave radio to hold me over during my deployment until I can get back to the states and get my actual license. It would also allow me to get a bit more SA on what's around me.

The PL380 is about half the price of the PL660 but at the cost of several key features, such as AIR band. I'm not sure what to do.

I am very new to the study of radio technology; therefore, your greater wisdom and instruction is being requested in this endeavor.

Thank you.

me = neither
why? neither unit has access to SSB (Single SIdeband) that the majority of Hams utilize for phone (vox) comms.

If I could, I'd spend the extra and buy this one! YMMV

smarter posters to follow

ETA: Maybe this one if you need to save $20 and really want Airband
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#2]
The PL660 actually DOES use SSB, and the first link you provided links to a pole step.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Between those two I'd go with the PL-660 because it does SSB and has a jack for an external antenna.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

me = neither
why? neither unit has access to SSB (Single SIdeband) that the majority of Hams utilize for phone (vox) comms.

If I could, I'd spend the extra and buy this one! YMMV

smarter posters to follow

ETA: Maybe this one if you need to save $20 and really want Airband

ignore my dumb a$$ (I just recommended a unit I just said not to buy!?), this new to me netbook is gonna be the death of me...

This SONY is what I was trying to link to.....?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Nice little receiver (I have one of these).  Add an external antenna and a pair of headphones for best results.

ETA:

eham reviews for Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver
eham reviews for Sony World Band Receiver ICF-SW7600GR
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:08:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Meter Bands
November 19, 2012, Submitted by: Ken (Admin)

A list of shortwave radio and amateur radio (Ham radio) ‘meter’ bands. It is a general list of ‘bands’, their associated frequencies, and a general description of what to expect.

Depending on your specific shortwave radio, you can receive lots of international broadcasts as well as some or all of the amateur radio (Ham radio) bands. The bands (meter bands) vary regarding what is better during the day or better at night.

Your shortwave radio may have some of these ‘meter’ bands labeled, or the frequencies themselves. Other radios require that you enter the frequency directly.

By the way, the meter bands themselves represent the approximate height of the signal’s wavelength. For example the popular 31 meter international broadcast band consists of ‘invisible’ wavelengths of about 31 meters from bottom to top (about 100 feet!).

Download and/or print your own copy:
Shortwave and Amateur (Ham) Radio METER BANDS

Meter      Band Frequency  (kHz)     Condition Comments:

120             2300 – 2495                    Night Mainly used ‘locally’ in tropical regions
                                                          Also used by government in North America

90                3200 – 3400                    Night Mainly used ‘locally’ in tropical regions
                                                           Used by various agencies of U.S. government

80               3500 – 4000                     Night Amateur (Ham radio) band
                                                           LSB (voice) and CW (Morse code) mode

75               3900 – 4000                    Night Mainly used in Eastern Hemisphere
                                                          Mainly Europe, Africa

60               4750 – 5060                    Night Mainly used ‘locally’ in tropical regions
                                                          Best reception during Fall and Winter

49              5900 – 6200                   Night Popular band for nighttime broadcasting
                                                        The best overall nighttime band for Int’l broadcasting

41              7100 – 7350                   Night / Day Int’l Broadcast, except North-South America
                                                        which is reserved for Amateur radio

40             7000 – 7300                   Night / Day Amateur (Ham radio) band
                                                       LSB (voice) and CW (Morse code) mode

31           9400 – 9990                    Night / Day Most Popular Int’l broadcasting band
                                                      Best mid-afternoon to mid-morning

25           11600 – 12100                Mostly Day Popular Int’l band for daytime broadcasting
                                                      Good any time of day

22           13570 – 13870               Mostly Day Int’l broadcasting
                                                     Not heavily used

20           14000 – 14350               Mostly Day Amateur (Ham radio) band (Popular long-distance DX)
                                                     USB (voice) and CW (Morse code) mode

19          15030 – 15800               Mostly Day Int’l broadcasting
                                                    The best overall daytime band for Int’l broadcasting

17          18068 – 18168               Day Amateur (Ham radio) band

16          17480 – 17900               Day Int’l broadcasting

15          21000 – 21450               Day Amateur (Ham radio) band

13         21450 – 21850               Day Int’l broadcasting
                                                   Seldom used

12        24890 – 24990               Day Amateur (Ham radio) band
                                                 USB (voice) and CW (Morse code) mode, Best during sunspots

11        25670 – 26100               Day Int’l broadcasting
                                                 Seldom used

10       28000 – 29700               Day Amateur (Ham radio) band
                                                 USB (voice) and CW (Morse code) mode, Best during sunspots

Most popular portable shortwave radio, Sony ICF-SW7600GR

Appreciate topics of survival, emergency preparedness – or planning for disaster?
Read our current articles on Modern Survival Blog

link
ETA: Chart in PDF form for downloading
even after a couple of attempts that chart still don't look like it should....save your time and download the PDF chart
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top