Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/10/2012 5:52:47 PM EDT
Tell me about 30 meters.  I have owned two HF rigs in the 33 years I have been a ham (off and on active) an HW101 and the Ten Tec Triton 2 I have now.  I have never had the WARC bands.  Anyway I have been considering buy one of the Ten Tec (youkits) radios either the R4020 or the R4030.   I had been leaning towards the R4020 because those are the bands I am on most of the time.  I was thinking tonight maybe the R4030 would be a better option as I would pick up another band and what little I know about 30 Meter band it seems to be low power friendly.  It seems positioned well in the spectrum for some interesting propagation.

Link Posted: 7/10/2012 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It's between 20M and 40M. It's open to RTTY and data only

I've wanted to try it out but never have.
Link Posted: 7/10/2012 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It's between 20M and 40M. It's open to RTTY and data only

I've wanted to try it out but never have.

And CW.  It is a fairly good band, I have talked all over the world on it. The band seems best in the evening and is a blast.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I didn't specifically say CW since it's allowed everywhere but 60. It was in the back of my mind. Shoulda said it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, I didn't specifically say CW since it's allowed everywhere but 60. It was in the back of my mind. Shoulda said it.

30m is a very good band to learn CW on. There is always a good variation of speed on the band.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can use CW on 60m now.....

The new rules took effect on 05 MARCH 2012.

The FCC adopted the use of the name "60 meter band", to refer to 5MHz amateur radio in the frequency range 5330.5-5406.4 kHz, but USA hams are still only allowed to transmit on 5 specific channels in the band.

The FCC changed the rules to allow: Phone (Upper Sideband), RTTY, Data, and CW; with specific new limitations on the use of these modes.
Amateur radio is a "secondary user" in this band, and must not cause harmful interference to other services! Amateur Radio Service must accept interference from primary, other services, and other nations services.

Operators transmitting data or RTTY must exercise care to limit the length of transmission so as to avoid causing harmful interference to US Government stations.
General, Advanced, or Amateur Extra Class license only.

The maximum allowed power level is 100 Watts PEP (ERP) effective radiated power referenced to a halfwave dipole. If another type of antenna is used, the station licensee must maintain a record of either the antenna manufacturer's data on the antenna gain or calculations of the antenna gain.

Upper SideBand Phone, Data, or RTTY transmissions may use dial (VFO) USB suppressed carrier frequency as listed. Transmissions must not exceed the 2.8kHz bandwidth channel. RTTY modes such as PSK31 must not exceed 60Hz necessary bandwidth. Data modes must not exceed 2.8kHz bandwidth. CW bandwidth must not exceed 150Hz bandwidth and the CW frequency must be at the center of the channel.

Section § 97.221 automatically controlled digital station, excludes the 5MHz channels.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks. I missed that change.
Link Posted: 7/12/2012 6:02:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't made many 60m contacts since the change.....but there is a bit of CW and PSK being used.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top