Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:29:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The "Mk I", "Mk II" thing is from one of the suppliers, not Baofeng's designation.  The "Mk II" has a dual freq display and 18 or 19 menu items, instead of just 12.  The reason I say 18 or 19, they quickly added one more menu item after going to the dual display.

Antennas... you can do better than the stock rubber ducky.  I did some actual on-the-road testing.  Let me skip all the details and just  say, for the UV-3R, get a Nagoya NA-701.  Make sure you get the one with Male SMA connection.  They also have the same antenna with female SMA and BNC.  Male SMA is required for the UV-3R.

There is also a NA-702... don't get it.  A dog.  Get the 701.

The NA-701 added about 3 miles to my range.

Everyone changed the designation to the Mark II when the dual display unit came out, so if Baofeng didn't change the naming then I don't know who did. The 18 menus were available with the original UV-3R, but you are correct that some only had 12.

Original UV-3R with 18 Menus

The UV-3R + Plus is a 409Shop exclusive - at least for now.

Someone else mentioned the color cases - you can just buy the case, so you can change a black to a red or whatever. I know Ed at importcommunications.com has them and they are for the original or Mark II.

Lastly, every time I see a discussion about an antenna for these radios, people recommend the NA-701. So I think A_Free_Man is definitely pointing everyone in the right direction.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
According to Brickolore's awesomely useful site, the OEM for the Baofeng UV-3R is Vero Global Telecom.  I would assume they make the 5R too.

Their site doesn't show the 5R at this time, but it does show a category of radios intended for the amateur market.

The radio is cosmetically similar to a TYT TH-F8, but those rigs are single-band. So even if they share a mold, the Baofeng UV-5R got some different chips. I'm still not sure who really makes them.

I hope some of you may find the following links interesting/useful:

UV-5R Annoucement & TYT Notes
UV-5R Specs and Pics
UV-5R First Look Video
UV-5R Alphatags
UV-5R Size Comparison - UV-3R and Wouxun KG-UVD1P
UV-5R Programming Repeater Memory
UV-5R Manual

(And thanks for the compliment.)

Cheers,
B

A follow-up note on the Alphatags. In the software you are limited to 6 characters, but the display will handle 7.

You can manually edit the .dat file and add the seventh character.

Baofeng UV-5R: Alphatags 7 Characters Hack
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you ever figure out what was causing the low audio problem?

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Nope. I tried it on simplex this weekend and my report was crystal clear... Not sure what's going on with it...
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I know I read it in here somewhere.. or in one of the links...   what cable do you need to program this puppy??

Link Posted: 3/26/2012 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Wouxun is what I'm using. I THINK it is also the same as a Kenwood (Kenwood headsets work).
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Really liking this little radio...   pretty active yahoo user group...

just ordered a second one and the programming cable.. to play with the program/ing.. but impressed with the features so far...

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Really liking this little radio...   pretty active yahoo user group...

just ordered a second one and the programming cable.. to play with the program/ing.. but impressed with the features so far...

How has your audio been?  I'm just about to pull the trigger on one.

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#9]
thinking same thing, really sold on my Wouxun, but these are nearly 2 for 1....
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#10]
am I the only one who thinks these are uglier than Sarah Jessica Parker?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
am I the only one who thinks these are uglier than Sarah Jessica Parker?

Spoken like a true bachelor I've been around long enough that how well something works far exceeds it's need to be pretty

That can only be pretty to me...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

Ever notice how Ugly and Utility share some letters....

yanking your chain bro, but really, the looks don't offend my dull senses
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:12:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Do these include a drop-in charger base? Curiously, the radioshop888 website doesn't mention it.

If so, is the charger base capable of operating on 120VAC and 12VDC?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Does come with a drop-in charging base..

Radio has a 7.4V 1800mah  Li-Ion Battery...  the charging cradle is fed with a 8.4V / 600mA output wall wart..

So, you could rig up something from a 12V source...

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How has your audio been?  I'm just about to pull the trigger on one.

Vulcan94

Have the second radio in and set up...  this weekend, I'll run a few audio tests between various setups and see what I can learn...

Mobile/base rig to 5R, Mobile rig to Ft60...   5R to ft60 and 5R to 5R....

Will report my findings.....
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

A follow-up note on the Alphatags. In the software you are limited to 6 characters, but the display will handle 7.

And a follow-up to my follow-up...the CHIRP software now supports the 7 character alpha tags. If you haven't heard of CHIRP, it is a universal radio programming app. It won't program every feature of every radio, but it makes loading a standard set of frequencies very easy.

Direct link to CHIRP: http://chirp.danplanet.com/
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 5:22:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And a follow-up to my follow-up...the CHIRP software now supports the 7 character alpha tags. If you haven't heard of CHIRP, it is a universal radio programming app. It won't program every feature of every radio, but it makes loading a standard set of frequencies very easy.

Good deal...  the Uv-5R software is not real impressive...   I hear they are working on it, but not impressed with the current vers.

Will check out CHIRP this pm...  thanks
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw this software mentioned in the old MKII thread. I was able to get it to open but I couldn't get it to load on the radio and it wouldn't save a file with my info. I ended up giving up and using the factory baofeng software.

Link Posted: 5/18/2012 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Are there any other updates on this radio?
Link Posted: 5/18/2012 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I've been suffering from a lot of cross channel bleed over. I was listening to my local repeater on 147.220 and was getting local PD and the Coast Guard weather warnings... Neither of those do I hear on my Wouxun...
Link Posted: 5/19/2012 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is a new HT, the Baofeng UV-5R.   http://www.radioshop888.com/radioshop_product.php?id=104276

I have purchased three of the UV-3Rs so far, one for me, two for friends.  These are nice little radios considering the giveaway price.

But this is new, the UV-5R.  It has a keypad, but not DTMF tones.  Power is 4 w vs. the UV-3R's 2 w.  

Unlike the UV-3R, this newer model charges in the charging base.

All this for just a few bucks more than the UV-3R.

Some very interesting little radios!

ETA:  It does have DTMF.

I cant go to the show so I have to mail order.  I will end up with one of these also.  They will make perfect glovebox radios.

Link Posted: 5/19/2012 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I 'm happy with it...   software is really lacking, but that will improve in time...  one would think...

Put a better antenna on it and I think it is a nice ht for the $

no performance issues/concerns to speak of on this end....

the FM radio feature is a hoot... I listen to my local oldies station and if anyone hits the repeater, it swithes over   :)

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 4:24:16 PM EDT
[#22]
There have been several postes on the yahoo group about very low audio output.

Apparently, some units need to have the mic hole opened up.  The manufacturing process has left the hole constricted.    as a user posted

CAREFULLY drilling out the mike hole in the case with a 3/64" drill bit. DON'T DRILL DEEP ENOUGH TO HIT THE MIKE ELEMENT.

Apparently, this has been the source of several low audio issues... and a resolution

Link Posted: 7/23/2012 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#23]

How's the Low Audio issue ?

Anything new ?

Link Posted: 9/21/2012 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Mine just arrived this am.

Neet looking little HT!

Link Posted: 9/22/2012 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I got 6 of them last week for use as business radios on a construction site. Git a programming cable too, but unfortunately the computer doesn't read it. The cable came without software and I downloaded a driver from the net. I got the chirp program as well, but since I can't connect I had to program the radiis manually. Any advice on how to get the cable to work?
Link Posted: 9/22/2012 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#26]
What cable, computer, operating system?
Link Posted: 9/23/2012 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#27]
The computer runs on windows xp. As far as the cable, the secretary ordered it from Amazon and I'm not sure which one it is.
Link Posted: 9/26/2012 2:18:09 AM EDT
[#28]
On another note, I've noticed (in typical BaoFeng fashion) there are now two additional models available: a UV-5R+ and a UV-5RC. Aside from cosmetic differences (that inhibit, but not PROhibit, the use of the extended battery) and new firmware, does anybody have any hands-on with the new units? Significant differences?
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't seem to be able to set up CTCS codes through the radio in channel mode. If frequency mode they work, but when I try to do it in frequency mode, the radio doesn't save it. I have read that these codes can be set up through the program, but the freaking cable doesn't work.

Can anyone help me get it going?
Link Posted: 9/27/2012 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
On another note, I've noticed (in typical BaoFeng fashion) there are now two additional models available: a UV-5R+ and a UV-5RC. Aside from cosmetic differences (that inhibit, but not PROhibit, the use of the extended battery) and new firmware, does anybody have any hands-on with the new units? Significant differences?

There's also apparently a UV-5RE.  They look to just be different outside case/housing designs, since button layout and positions look to be the same.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally sent to me by email

How to program the Baofeng UV-5R manually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Ze-0C9qJs

In all cases, you must program the UV-5R while in VFO, or "Frequency Mode".  And you must program from the upper line, that is, the A line, of the display.  There will be a "cursor" present on the left side of the line that is active.  This is chosen with the A/B button.

The programming sequence is, Menu (to enter Menu mode), then Up or Dn button (or enter the menu number via keypad) to get to the Submenu you want to change. Once there, press Menu again, and use the keypad (such as setting tones) or Up or Dn buttons to make the changes you want.  When you have it set the way you want, press Menu again, then press Exit.  The radio will say "confirm".

Also, set the Band button for the band you wish to program, VHF or UHF.  Now continue with the video.

BUT...

at 01:26, do NOT enter tones in Submenu 11, R-CTCS.  That is receive squelch tones.  Not all repeaters retransmit the tone from the station talking on the repeater.  If you enter a tone in Submenu 11 the radio will only un-squelch if it receives that tone.  This can be handy if you live in an area halfway between two repeaters on the same frequency, but only want to listen to one or the other.  Those repeaters will likely use different tones.

You COULD set up, in that case, one Channel with that frequency, and the tone for repeater A, and another Channel with the same frequency, but the tone for repeater B.  But for the most part, do not activate Submenu 11.  With this rare exception, you should leave it Off.  Likewise, set Submenu 10, R-DCS, to Off.

At 01:55, Submenu 13, T-CTCS (transmit tone), this is the tone your radio must transmit, and the repeater must hear, in order to activate the repeater.  This is not used on all repeaters.  If you set a tone, and your repeater does not require a CTCS tone, your radio will still work the repeater.  However, if your repeater requires a tone, and you do not set a tone, or set the wrong tone, the repeater will not work.  Set Submenu, T-CTCS accordingly, Off for no tone, or to whatever tone required.

Before you start programming there are some settings I suggest.

This radio has "Dual Watch".  That means you can have the upper, or A line set to one channel, and the lower, or B line to another channel, and the radio will switch back and forth to whichever is active.  That is a pain in the drain.  I suggest you set Submenu 7 to 0, which is Off.

Next, Submenu 1, tuning step... I suggest setting to 5 khz.  The UV-5R can go down to 2.5 khz steps, but that is not needed.

Submenu 2, power, set to High (appx 5 watts) or Low (appx 1 watt) as you wish.  I have mine set to High, and can toggle it down or back up at any time, without going into the menu, with the # button, lower right on the keypad.  There is an L (for Low) present on the screen when set to Low.

Submenu 3, Battery Save, set to Off.

Submenu 4, VOX.  Voice Operated... this means it will transmit just from your voice, or other sounds, without using PTT button.  Set this to Off.

Submenu 5, WN (Wide-Narrow bandwidth).  For ham use, set this to W (Wide).

Submenu 6, ABR, display illumination timer.  The number is the number of seconds the display stays lit.  Normally set it to 5 (5 seconds).

Submenu 7, we set already to Off.

Submenu 8, Keypad Beep.  If you want it to beep every time you press a button, set this on.  If that constant beeping irritates you, as it does me, set to Off.

Submenu 9, TOT, Time Out Timer.  This cuts off transmission after so many seconds.  This is good, and will keep from hanging the repeater open if PTT gets stuck on, jams down between the seat and console resting on the PTT, etc.  I set mine to 90 seconds.

Submenus 10, 11, 12, 13, discussed in the video and above.

Submenu 14, voice prompt.  Choices are Chinese, English, or Off.  I set to English.

Submenus 15, 16, 17, 18, ignore unless you have a use for these.

Submenu 19, PTT-ID, set to Off.

The following two Submenus determine how the A and B lines read in channel mode... Frequency, Channel Number, or Name.  You can only put in an alpha-numeric name via software.  With software you could name CH-003, which is the Smithtown Repeater, SMTHTN, and the Jonesville Repeater as JNSVIL.  This requires software programming.

Submenu 21, MDF-A (In channel mode, how Line A reads, Freq, Ch, or Name)
Submenu 22, MDF-B (In channel mode, how Line B reads, Freq, Ch, or Name)

Submenu 29,30,31, leave as they are.  These choose color of backlight for RX, TX, etc.
Submenu 32, set to 0 (Site)  This setting prevents the radio from transmitting the alarm siren sound, it will only sound on the speaker, not on the air.  There is no way to disable this completely.

Submenu 34, set to 0 (Off)

Tail tone stuff, set as follows:

Submenu 35, set to 0 (Off)
Submenu 36, set to 0 (Off)
Submenu 37, set to 0 (Off)
Submenu 39, set to 0 (Off) ("roger beep")

Make all of these settings FIRST. Then proceed to programming your Channel Memories as per the video.

When in Channel Mode, you may navigate to a channel via the Up and Dn buttons OR by pressing three digits for the channel number.  That is, Channel 3 is entered as 003.

In Frequency Mode, if you are entering numbers and it keeps screwing up when you punch in the last digit, check that you have the Band toggled correctly.  That is, if entering 146.520, as you hit the 0, it won't take it, you probably have the Band set for UHF instead of VHF.

You cannot easily edit a channel once it is entered into memory.  The best thing to do is use Submenu 28 to delete that channel number you wish to change, then program that channel from scratch and enter it via Submenu 27 as per the video.

"Setting the Wide/Narrow (Submenu 5) to Narrow will give weak audio if everyone else is Wide band.  For ham use, it should be set to Wide."

I about to shoot the author and email to see if he would like to be named.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 9:11:06 AM EDT
[#32]
In case anyone is interested, the price of these HT's has been dropping lately.  I bought one last week off Amazon for just under $46 shipped.  I looked today and they are now $44 shipped.  That's a bit less than they were when they were first introduced.  They truly are becoming a bargain HT.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I also ordered one from Amazon last week and It's supposed to be here tomorrow. For the price, it may be worth while to get a second one as a backup.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

The computer runs on windows xp. As far as the cable, the secretary ordered it from Amazon and I'm not sure which one it is.

You actually need an older version of the driver –– also when I write to the radio it often times fails to connect with transcevier the first time I hit write second time it goes thru.

Once you get the com port for the serial cable sorted out the programming is a breeze.

Go here they have the driver / software and plenty of helpful info.

I tried chirp but its a little more complicated to use and there is a learning curve the Baofeng SW is clunky but is easier to use in the short term.

I am trying to figure out how to get the alpha tags to display ––I have them programmed into the SW but they dont come up on the radio display.

I found how to change the welcome screen to display a custom tag ––so it shows my call when powered up.

I am interested in other antennas people are using with thier 5R's

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I also ordered one from Amazon last week and It's supposed to be here tomorrow. For the price, it may be worth while to get a second one as a backup.

I bought one specifically for UHF to play on the Texas Tech repeater. It works and has good battery standby. Still like my FT-270 better (RX seems to be better on 2m), but the UV-5R (mines a plus) is a good budget radio, may buy another just to have a spare.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 1:03:32 PM EDT
[#36]
just realized AFM began this thread...miss that dude!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 3:40:36 AM EDT
[#37]
I ordered one from amazon. $43.50 shipped

4 days later it had not shipped.

I sent the vendor an email asking
Is this in stock?
when will it ship?

next day I got shipping notice.

I should have it Tuesday

Hope my KENWOOD programming cable talks to it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, came over here to ask about this very radio, not a ham myself, but seemed smart to buy a receiver at least so I could listen in if there were an emergency in my area.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not to derail, but what happened?
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 1:38:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got 3 of these little jewells and love them.

My question is, what has been your experience with battery life.

I know that you can get larger extended use batteries that fit.

Does anyone make an adapter that you could use regular batteries if necessary?
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've got 3 of these little jewells and love them.

My question is, what has been your experience with battery life.

I know that you can get larger extended use batteries that fit.

Does anyone make an adapter that you could use regular batteries if necessary?

Many of the venders sell a "battery eliminator" - it's basically a battery box with no batteries, but with a cigarette lighter cable coming out of it. You could hack that off and put power poles on it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's also apparently a UV-5RE.  They look to just be different outside case/housing designs, since button layout and positions look to be the same.

I also found a 5RA.

I'm very interested in this HT, but what revision is best?

ETA:  The RA and R+ both say "2013 latest version"
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 4:42:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/27/2012 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, did I miss something?
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, came over here to ask about this very radio, not a ham myself, but seemed smart to buy a receiver at least so I could listen in if there were an emergency in my area.

I'd recommend buying one and getting the cable that goes along with it. I'd program it for whatever the local PD/EMS/FD are. Generally most cities use trunked systems on a higher band but County's tend to rely on public services bands. I assume the Baofeng software lets you program for names in the memories instead of just frequencies (which is what your stuck with if you program by hand) but I know CHIRP lets you use 7 characters for a name as well as reprogram to extend the RX past 480MHz on the UHF band. Beware, the radio does come from the factory with the ability to TX on all RX ranges (I'm not quite sure if you can manually program it for FRS channels 1 and 2, but I do know you can't program it for FRS channels 1 & 2 as it comes from the factory by hand.

As far as not being a ham, if you have some spare time one weekend I'd highly recommend taking the test. A EE buddy of mine that I worked with had to have his for ha series of labs and he challenged me the day before the exam (I'm a ME) knowing that I was getting bored with playing with my CB. I studied a few hours and took the exam the next morning…that's how I got my technician license.

If you were in the same area as me I'd offer to let you come check mine out before you buy, but I doubt your in the Lubbock area.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I also found a 5RA.

I'm very interested in this HT, but what revision is best?

ETA:  The RA and R+ both say "2013 latest version"

they are all the same except for the cosmetics ––some have the metal front –– the "c" model is rounded on the edges and a little more ergonomic etc but as far as functionality goes they all work the same ––even some of the clone brands (TYT etc ) have models that look exactly like the UV-5R. The only thing I suggest is the 3800Ah battery and a better antenna ––the stock antennas suck.

Solid Radio and RadioShop888 have combos out with the 3800ah battery and the cable (dont worry about the sw its downloadable everywhere) for like 45-50 bucks shipped ––thats the best deal then get a better antenna and you will have an nice littel HT package for under 100 bucks

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Just as an FYI –– the adds on ebay and the like feature chineese hands to make the radio look bigger –– I on the other hand (no pun intended) have gargantuan hands ––the sigpro in the backround is a (sub)compact according to me despite being a full size 15 round 9mm

thats why the 3800ah battery is in my mind a useful accessory –– it extends battery life DAYS and it makes the radio more man sized for me

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#48]
I just got mine.

without opening the book, I was able to VFO to my local repeater, and get the .600 spilt set.

was on the air with good reports in a few mins.

grabbed my KENWOOD (valley) programming cable and updated ( freeware)CHIRP (build) software and got it programmed

this thing is smaller and lighter than my FT-60 and for $43.50 it's a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#49]

I guess I'm Old School, but that photo (with added battery) makes me want a few of these!

Am I correct in my understanding that the Battery will only work with the original version w/o trimming?
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:41:05 PM EDT
[#50]
sorry I meant to add a pic of the larger battery installed and a side by side comparison ––I dont know which versions it will fit on the basic 5r of course and as long as the battery holds to that form factor......

and yes the desk is a mess I am trying to go hru hundreds of business cards and sort out the ones that are no longer any good and get them organised.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top