Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/24/2012 12:11:20 AM EDT
This is a new HT, the Baofeng UV-5R.   http://www.radioshop888.com/radioshop_product.php?id=104276

I have purchased three of the UV-3Rs so far, one for me, two for friends.  These are nice little radios considering the giveaway price.

But this is new, the UV-5R.  It has a keypad, but not DTMF tones.  Power is 4 w vs. the UV-3R's 2 w.  

Unlike the UV-3R, this newer model charges in the charging base.

All this for just a few bucks more than the UV-3R.

Some very interesting little radios!

ETA:  It does have DTMF.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:36:38 AM EDT
[#1]
No DTMF? That would be a pain in the ass if you were met control and couldn't figure out how place the repeater in net mode with the warning tones or to release it after.

As I typed I realized my iPhone makes DTMF as you dial. You could acoustically couple the iPhone with the Baofeng.

Keep us posted on further thoughts on this radio.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 6:31:13 AM EDT
[#2]
This was brought to my attention yesterday. I think I am going to pick one up also.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Think this one is acceptable for use on both bands?  I'm just thinking back to the QST review of the old model.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 10:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
This One?

Where are you buying from?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, I've been looking at the UV3R and decided to try out this new version. I like that it'll charge in the cradle. I also like that it has an SMA-Female antenna connector so I can use my Wouxun antennas for it also. I'm really liking the cheap HT's. I love my Wouxun, and hopefully will love this.

Edit: I just purchased off ebay for $62 shipped to my door. The auction price is listed in GBP (great Britain pounds) but Paypal does the conversion for you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I bought my last Baofeng UV-3R and other items from www.409shop.com I've placed a couple of orders and everything has gone well. Cheap price delivered. I expect service to be a nightmare if ever I encouter the need.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 4:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
409shop is where my ebay auction is from. I'll probably post a review and maybe a video of this when I get it in.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
the squelch is worthless on my 3R, ill hold off on any more of their products unless I can try it out first.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#9]
An update... according to a poster on the UV-3R yahoo group, he contacted the 409 Shop, and they replied that the UV-5R DOES have DTMF.

Repair or service?

I bought three UV-3R's from ebay seller "solidradio".  One would not allow programming Rx or Tx tones (Menu 01, Menu 02).  I contacted the seller via ebay, who suggested I first try a full reset, and he gave instructions of how to do this.  No joy.  He then said to remove the antenna and battery, send back only the radio, keep everything else.  3 weeks later I received a replacement radio.  Radio only, no battery, antenna, etc... I had kept those as instructed.  It works just fine.

Think of these as the "Bic Pen" of HTs.  Use them up, toss, buy another.  At this price, well, why sweat it.  And the sellers are all good to deal with as far as problem radios, according to guys on the UV-3R group.  While few have any problems, they do happen, as they do with all products.  The problem I had is one of the more common ones.

Antenna, after testing 2 of the more highly recommended aftermarket antennas, they both work well, and better than the stock rubber ducky.  The rubber ducky (4-1/2") is not bad, but the longer antennas are better.  I tested the Nagoya NA-701 and NA-666.  Both are about 8-1/2", with the 666 being much skinnier (about 1/16") and more flexible.  The thicker NA-701 is about 1/8" diameter, but can still be bent around with the tip touching the tuning knob on top of the radio without damaging the antenna.  

As I said, both antennas were said to be audibly better than the rubber ducky at its extreme range (10 miles into a repeater), and of the two Nagoyas, the NA-701 was said to be better than the NA-666.  General consensus on the yahoo group is to avoid the NA-702, a dog.

I'm happy with the little UV-3R so just may try the UV-5R, too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This One?

Sorry, I had meant to post that same link.

Yes, that's the radio.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the squelch is worthless on my 3R, ill hold off on any more of their products unless I can try it out first.  

The squelch in this radio is really only two levels.

Squelch Settings
Settings 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are all the same - they let through weak signals and a signal can
reduce to nothing before the squelch closes. Settings 3, 4 and 5 are all the same and do not
allow weak signals through.

Set Squelch to "5" and be done with it.

If you join the UV-3R yahoo group there is a great FAQ in the files.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Why do I get the sense that these are for drug traffickers?

And howtf are they type accepted if they come from the factory set to TX out of band?
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The squelch in this radio is really only two levels.

Squelch Settings

Settings 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 and 9 are all the same - they let through weak signals and a signal can

reduce to nothing before the squelch closes. Settings 3, 4 and 5 are all the same and do not

allow weak signals through.

Set Squelch to "5" and be done with it.

If you join the UV-3R yahoo group there is a great FAQ in the files.

wtf thats weird..... I had just cranked it up to 9, when it still wouldn't shut up I turned it off and keep it laying around and charged for a last resort... ill have to try it on 5

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a uv3r and it is a neat/ inexpensive little radio.  I do like my wouxun much better but I still keep the uv3r for a backup.  One thing that I miss on the uv3r is channel naming... I listen to over 15 different repeaters and have over 75 saved freq... and it is hard to remember freq numbers vs channel names.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

And howtf are they type accepted if they come from the factory set to TX out of band?
Type acceptance for an amateur HT?  Say wha?  Edit:  Never mind.  You must be referring to Part 90 acceptance.  Gotcha.

I've had the 3R on my sort-of-want list for a while, but the second harmonic issue caused me to shy away.  I'd love to see a spectral analysis on the 5R.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://news.yahoo.com/mexicos-cartels-build-own-national-radio-system-200251816.html

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://news.yahoo.com/mexicos-cartels-build-own-national-radio-system-200251816.html

I'm familiar with that article.  When a gun manufacturer introduces a new product, do you also speculate that it's intended for drug trafffickers or murderers?

Given that the U.S. has more amateur licensees now than ever before and competition among manufacturers is very limited, my guess is that these radios are for amateur radio operators –– a segment of our society that is overwhelmingly comprised of law-abiding citizens.  One report of bad guys in another country misusing radios doesn't inspire me to make the same enormous logical leap that you did.

The comment was WAAAAY out in left field, so my smiley stands:  

So . . . let's talk about this Baofeng UV-5R radio again!    I made up my mind.  I'm ordering one Wednesday.  Anybody have one in-hand?
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:36:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Type acceptance for an amateur HT?  Say wha?  Edit:  Never mind.  You must be referring to Part 90 acceptance.  Gotcha.

I've had the 3R on my sort-of-want list for a while, but the second harmonic issue caused me to shy away.  I'd love to see a spectral analysis on the 5R.

The 2nd harmonic thing is a non-issue.  It wasn't really a problem with the early models.  With the correct antenna it simply does not radiate much on the 2nd harmonic.  It is far down in the noise floor and a perfectly acceptable output there.  Further testing on the current models ("Mark II") it is less of an issue.  One of those overblown things.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Cool.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 10:30:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, a ding against the UV-5R:

hi,

We are sorry to inform you that UV-5R do not have  tone searching function.

Is it OK ??

IF OK, then we will send out your order ASAP.

If not, then we can cancel order and refund to you.

Sorry for the mistake of the description

This is not a big deal to me, so I'm continuing my order. I'm more worried about what they did say it has, and it really doesn't...
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We have heard the same thing said about inexpensive gunz.  But getting actual penetration in that market took some special encouragement, we have learned.

Link Posted: 3/1/2012 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have a uv3r and it is a neat/ inexpensive little radio.  I do like my wouxun much better but I still keep the uv3r for a backup.  One thing that I miss on the uv3r is channel naming... I listen to over 15 different repeaters and have over 75 saved freq... and it is hard to remember freq numbers vs channel names.

I don't think any of these cheap radios have channel naming do they?  It's ridiculous to offer a radio without it, especially one that's part 90 approved.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 7:45:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Labeling, no, I don't think so.  And why offer 99 or howevermany channels with no labeling?  Hope you have a great memory... between the ears that is... or a big cheat sheet.

Yes, that would be nice.
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
An update... according to a poster on the UV-3R yahoo group, he contacted the 409 Shop, and they replied that the UV-5R DOES have DTMF.

I've still not seen one in the wild, but both the programming software and the manual show DTMF. Screen shots here:

http://www.brickolore.com/2012/03/baofeng-uv-5r-dtmf.html
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Got mine today. Initial thought are its pretty sweet. Small, light, and 5 watts. Tried getting a signal check on the repeater, but no one else was around apparently. Heard the repeater ID loud and clear though. VFO programming is tedious at best. Use the software. The software is burried in the disk that comes with it, and was a pain to dig through. Once it is programmed, changing from memory to VFO is a single button. It will monitor v-v, u-u, and v-u. I haven't figured out how to make it monitor a single frequency yet (like hitting the TDR button on my wouxon).

Now for pictures:

I'll get some better pictures and maybe a video in a few days once my camera is charged, and I'm not working a 36hr shift. I'll try to answer any questions as best I can. So far, its very worth the $62 from 409shop.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the photos, Jester!

Did the programming cable come with it, or was that an extra cost item?  If so, how much?
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm using the cable I got with my wouxun radio. I believe a Kenwood cable will work also. It's the same connector.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:56:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What is "PWA NLFR"... some kind of menu?  (fishing for alphanumeric channel names)

Thanks for the photos!

One more question, I thought I had read that these had a locked-down channel only mode which would emulate an LMR type radio with just the ability to scroll through preprogrammed memory channels.  Could you give that a try (if possible) and see how it works.

Quoted:
my guess is that these radios are for amateur radio operators

Actually they aren't.  They are simply OEM two way radio products, made in China for land mobile radio use both for their domestic market as well as export.  The Wouxun for example that is available with 220MHz... those aren't because we have 220 amateur radio band in north and south america, it's because that band is used for land mobile radio in ITU regions I and III (europe/africa and asia).  Most all are intended to be, as LMR products normally are, programmed for the desired use and then not changed.  The fact that amateurs find them useful is a secondary market.

By the way, Baofeng isn't even the OEM, they are just a reseller... I found the actual OEM online and they have some neat stuff.  They have a nice dual band waterproof handheld.  Wonder what their minimum order is... no idea what it would cost to get them US type accepted for part 90 though.  They also have a dual band mobile (not the same as the Wouxun), and some single band mobiles which are already for sale in the US under a couple different brand names.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#30]
You hooked that fish... PWA/NLFR are alpha tags (ambulance and fire). I haven't been able to lock out the keypad or frequency entry yet besides the normal lock button. There are some menu items I just don't get. It may do it, but I don't know at this point. Let me play with it some more.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a UV-3R MKII on the way from Hong Kong, UV-5R will be next on the list.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is "PWA NLFR"... some kind of menu?  (fishing for alphanumeric channel names)

Thanks for the photos!

One more question, I thought I had read that these had a locked-down channel only mode which would emulate an LMR type radio with just the ability to scroll through preprogrammed memory channels.  Could you give that a try (if possible) and see how it works.

Quoted:

Actually they aren't.  They are simply OEM two way radio products, made in China for land mobile radio use both for their domestic market as well as export.  The Wouxun for example that is available with 220MHz... those aren't because we have 220 amateur radio band in north and south america, it's because that band is used for land mobile radio in ITU regions I and III (europe/africa and asia).  Most all are intended to be, as LMR products normally are, programmed for the desired use and then not changed.  The fact that amateurs find them useful is a secondary market.

By the way, Baofeng isn't even the OEM, they are just a reseller... I found the actual OEM online and they have some neat stuff.  They have a nice dual band waterproof handheld.  Wonder what their minimum order is... no idea what it would cost to get them US type accepted for part 90 though.  They also have a dual band mobile (not the same as the Wouxun), and some single band mobiles which are already for sale in the US under a couple different brand names.

Who's the OEM?  I'm slow at work today and admit I'd like to browse their stuff...

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Context is king.  If you leave my comment in its original context, you'll see that I was countering JBlitzen's comment, "Why do I get the sense that these are for drug traffickers?" which, in my opinion, is silly.

But I maintain that radios that operate on different bands will have some design differences as well.  The PA and filtering on a 220 MHz radio is probably not the same as in a 144MHz/440 MHz radio.  It's reasonable to assert that the OEM is cranking out several models with variations for different markets and uses.  But when a specific radio is sold in the US market and it operates on the two most common amateur radio bands and within FCC-mandated parameters for the amateur radio service and it has the agility and programmability that the amateur market demands, I think it's safe to say that the intended purpose of the unit is for amateur radio use.

So I'll stand by my comment, inside or outside of context.    

Quoted:
Who's the OEM?  I'm slow at work today and admit I'd like to browse their stuff...

According to Brickolore's awesomely useful site, the OEM for the Baofeng UV-3R is Vero Global Telecom.  I would assume they make the 5R too.

Their site doesn't show the 5R at this time, but it does show a category of radios intended for the amateur market.  <Friendly for Gamma762  >
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#34]
According to Brickolore's awesomely useful site, the OEM for the Baofeng UV-3R is Vero Global Telecom.  I would assume they make the 5R too.

Their site doesn't show the 5R at this time, but it does show a category of radios intended for the amateur market.

The radio is cosmetically similar to a TYT TH-F8, but those rigs are single-band. So even if they share a mold, the Baofeng UV-5R got some different chips. I'm still not sure who really makes them.

I hope some of you may find the following links interesting/useful:

UV-5R Annoucement & TYT Notes
UV-5R Specs and Pics
UV-5R First Look Video
UV-5R Alphatags
UV-5R Size Comparison - UV-3R and Wouxun KG-UVD1P
UV-5R Programming Repeater Memory
UV-5R Manual

(And thanks for the compliment.)

Cheers,
B
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, after a quick QSO with some locals, they said my audio was very quiet and difficult to hear. I was also told that I had some treble noise that was hard to deal with. This was with both the stock antenna, and a Diamond SRJ77CA. Switched to my Wouxun KG-UV3D and they said my signal was crystal clear. Receive audio is just fine though. I decided that since this radio is not a bank breaker, I would take it apart and see if there was a water barrier between the keys and radio (there isn't). While I had it open, I decided to make the microphone hole in the case a little bigger. This resulted in a slightly clearer signal, but still very quiet. So, my thoughts are either I got a bad one (BrickO'Lore, how is yours working out) or they still have some issues to fix. Also, here is a picture of the insides....

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 11:30:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like you have it programmed to narrow [low] deviation.

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 1:58:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Sounds like you have it programmed to narrow [low] deviation.

If it's set for narrowband TX that would explain the audio reports.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Checked that, and it was set to wide. I'll recheck my programming tomorrow after work, but I'm pretty sure it was on wide. This possibility was discussed over the air, but everyone cleared off before I could test with VFO (had been using the programmed channels).
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
(BrickO'Lore, how is yours working out)

I got a bad antenna that I need to play with, but I swapped it with one from my Wouxun temporarily and I haven't noticed any other problems yet. I have not been able to spend a lot of time with it.

http://www.brickolore.com/2012/03/baofeng-uv-5r-stock-antenna.html

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm interested in this thread as I need a new HT.  I really want to know if the low audio problem can be figured out.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Ordered one today... for that price, it is worth a shot....

Have read of a few quality control issues, but once those are worked through, the reports are not bad.

We'll see when it gets here....
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I just got my UV-3R+ in the mail today, ordered March 2nd. Amazing how small it is. Anyone know how long the batteries stay charged while off? I'd like to have these for emergencies but since there isn't a AA option (that I know of) does anyone have any experience with the 5R, 3R etc on battery life? I may have to spring the extra for a Wouxun as there are some AA backs for them but if the shelf life of the charged battery is long enough I may just get extra batteries at $10 each. The charging base on the 3R is built to hold either the whole radio to charge or just a battery.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I just got my UV-3R+ in the mail today, ordered March 2nd. Amazing how small it is. Anyone know how long the batteries stay charged while off? I'd like to have these for emergencies but since there isn't a AA option (that I know of) does anyone have any experience with the 5R, 3R etc on battery life? I may have to spring the extra for a Wouxun as there are some AA backs for them but if the shelf life of the charged battery is long enough I may just get extra batteries at $10 each. The charging base on the 3R is built to hold either the whole radio to charge or just a battery.

Ordered my UV-3R MKII on the 11th,  tracked it to NY where it showed up on the 19th. Still waiting..............
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#44]
For anyone that is interested these just popped up on Amazon Prime for $75.95.

Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ordered my UV-3R MKII on the 11th,  tracked it to NY where it showed up on the 19th. Still waiting..............

What is the dif of the MKII?

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
For anyone that is interested these just popped up on Amazon Prime for $75.95.

I know you're sorta new to arfcom, but you really need to include a link when you make a claim like that.  

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-BAOFENG-UV-5R-DUAL-BAND-RADIO/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_80?ie=UTF8&m=A10EAPE4CAYC9P&s=generic&qid=1332699939&sr=1-80

http://www.amazon.com/NEW-BAOFENG-UV-5R-DUAL-BAND-RADIO/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=sr_1_80?ie=UTF8&m=A10EAPE4CAYC9P&s=generic&qid=1332699939&sr=1-80

You have to click on "more buying choices" to see the one fulfilled by Amazon.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Between Mk I and 2 or Mk II and the +?

I got the + and it has a different case(bigger/beefier too it looks like), clip(reviews say better), charging base (not sure about mk I and mk II but I can't tell if you can charge it with the battery still on the radio, you can on the +) I think the menus and features are the same on the + as the Mk II. I also think you can get mk I's in different colors.

For me I just paid the extra few bucks for the latest model even though I think most of the internals are probably the same.

hope this helps

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#48]
The "Mk I", "Mk II" thing is from one of the suppliers, not Baofeng's designation.  The "Mk II" has a dual freq display and 18 or 19 menu items, instead of just 12.  The reason I say 18 or 19, they quickly added one more menu item after going to the dual display.

Antennas... you can do better than the stock rubber ducky.  I did some actual on-the-road testing.  Let me skip all the details and just  say, for the UV-3R, get a Nagoya NA-701.  Make sure you get the one with Male SMA connection.  They also have the same antenna with female SMA and BNC.  Male SMA is required for the UV-3R.

There is also a NA-702... don't get it.  A dog.  Get the 701.

The NA-701 added about 3 miles to my range.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 2:18:51 AM EDT
[#49]
What kind of range are you getting with the Baofeng UV-5R radios?

Is the NAGOYA NA-701 antenna upgrade worth the $17?
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#50]
I can get into a repeater 25+ miles away with a Diamond SRJ77CA antenna.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top