Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:53:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats man!  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Congrats man!  
THANKS!!

NE to LA. Had a good signal although it was coming in and out.

I admit, I had a little bit of help with decoding.

He gave me a report of 599 (but, dont they all?)

Anyhow, he is/was a nice guy and took his time.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Congratulations!

Took his time with you... a true gentleman!

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Congratulations!

Took his time with you... a true gentleman!

Yip, he was real patient and slow. Maybe a little too slow but Im not arguing.

It was cool!!!!

I cant wait for my keyer to get here but, I may not like it and go back to using my mic.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Congrats.

I've made it a point to make at least one CW QSO every time when I sit down to operate. The more you do it the easier it gets.

Just wait till you snag a guy who wants to rag chew. Trying to send CW without a script takes it to a whole 'nother level. When you finally send the last dit-dit you look at the clock and wonder where the last 45 minutes went. And you're exhausted.

dah dit dit dah

Refesh my memory. Were you licensed after 2007 when the code requirement was dropped? Meaning you're a "no-code" ham who decided to learn CW anyway, like I did. Lately I've been running into a bunch of us no-coders who've taken up the key.

And for the lurkers, what learning method did you use?

dah dit dit dah

If you would, send me his call via PM. I just might know him. Got quite a pocket of CW operators in the area. Finally if you, or anyone else needs a crash test dummy to practice CW on, send me a PM and we'll try to sked something.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:25:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you would, send me his call via PM. I just might know him. Got quite a pocket of CW operators in the area. Finally if you, or anyone else needs a crash test dummy to practice CW on, send me a PM and we'll try to sked something.

I test in a few hours, so I'll definitely need to take you up on that.   When I finally get some gear

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Congrats.

I've made it a point to make at least one CW QSO every time when I sit down to operate. The more you do it the easier it gets.

Just wait till you snag a guy who wants to rag chew. Trying to send CW without a script takes it to a whole 'nother level. When you finally send the last dit-dit you look at the clock and wonder where the last 45 minutes went. And you're exhausted.

dah dit dit dah

Refesh my memory. Were you licensed after 2007 when the code requirement was dropped? Meaning you're a "no-code" ham who decided to learn CW anyway, like I did. Lately I've been running into a bunch of us no-coders who've taken up the key.

And for the lurkers, what learning method did you use?

dah dit dit dah

Yip, tested after they drop the requirement. 2008 is when I tested.
My learning method? HA HA HA HA.

I have a sheet with the alphabet and numerals on it.

Im also just using the mic and not a key or paddle.

PM sent.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#9]
CW is a wonderful means of communication.  I have been learning it the "hard" way for a few months.  I find it is getting a bit easier, but I still get frustrated easily.  I have made confirmed contacts with 10 countries (LOTW) and am hoping to make CW DXCC within the next two years.  I have a friend W9BGJ who is a big CW operator that has been helping me.  From what I have found on the air, there are a lot more gentlemanly CW opps than any other mode.  Good luck and have fun,
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 1:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I made another contact in Indiana.

Very nice guy. Again, he slowed way down to make it easy for me.

Im liking the new keyer but still need to remember to lift a little sooner than I do.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats, VRMN8R!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top