Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:24:21 PM EDT
all the Icom 706 units that I find are in fact the IIG models (which is mho siemens dollahs)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The Icom 718's can be had for a decent price.

Keep and eye out on QTH. Always some good deals on there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What is your desired usage?  Are you looking for a mobile radio?

If not, a more standard full size radio is probably a lot easier to operate and learn on.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch for a used Yaesu FT-840. Great rig, and they can occasionally be found for around $300.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If not, a more standard full size radio is probably a lot easier to operate and learn on.

true though I was indeed thinking about something that could go into an orange box one day
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

true though I was indeed thinking about something that could go into an orange box one day

Tons of used radios out there that work fine.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Seriously try this:

Go to the 'Wanted' section of Craigslist and put in an ad for what you want.

Odds are pretty damned good that someone out there has something you can use. Occasionally you can land something NIB or only used a couple of times.

This hold true especially in good neighborhooods full of spoiled brats.

"Kid lost interest." is one I've heard more than once.

Prices vary. A few people will want the price they paid less a couple bucks, others will say something like "Gimme a hundred bucks" and off you go with a NIB IC-7200.

It is a crapshoot but it cost you nothing to try.

I have a shipmate that bought a NIB $300 netbook for $50 a while back.

ETA: I didn't read the ad well but this looks like an entire station for $500

Rat Cheer
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice Deal in Charlotte NC

I bought all of my gear-save the Wouxun-from QTH Swap to begin with and still 'shop' there-new radios aren't in my budget.  

I chose the Kenwood TS-50 for my HF rig-it's a little larger than some of the later HF rigs (706, 7000, 897) but was in my price range, it was proven and stupid silly easy to use (ease of use was hottest point for me)...I also wanted to have a dedicated rig for 2m vs an all in one-

Notice how soothing the Green Box is it exudes confidence and concealment unlike that glaring opaque eye-sore-the dreaded Orange Box .

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Saw a TS-120 listed on QRZ for $125, went pretty quick. Check QTH swap & QRZ swap several times per day, someone here stumbled on a FT-897D for $300 the other day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Nice Deal in Charlotte NC

I bought all of my gear-save the Wouxun-from QTH Swap to begin with and still 'shop' there-new radios aren't in my budget.

I chose the Kenwood TS-50 for my HF rig-it's a little larger than some of the later HF rigs (706, 7000, 897) but was in my price range, it was proven and stupid silly easy to use (ease of use was hottest point for me)...I also wanted to have a dedicated rig for 2m vs an all in one-

http://www.fotolode.com/images/SCWolverine/emb3.jpg

Notice how soothing the Green Box is it exudes confidence and concealment unlike that glaring opaque eye-sore-the dreaded Orange Box .

Oh now you went and done did it.

IBAJ

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
glaring opaque eye-sore-the dreaded Orange Box .

International Orange is the cat's meow (and purr)
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Seriously try this:

Go to the 'Wanted' section of Craigslist and put in an ad for what you want.

Odds are pretty damned good that someone out there has something you can use. Occasionally you can land something NIB or only used a couple of times.

This hold true especially in good neighborhooods full of spoiled brats.

"Kid lost interest." is one I've heard more than once.

Prices vary. A few people will want the price they paid less a couple bucks, others will say something like "Gimme a hundred bucks" and off you go with a NIB IC-7200.

It is a crapshoot but it cost you nothing to try.

I have a shipmate that bought a NIB $300 netbook for $50 a while back.

ETA: I didn't read the ad well but this looks like an entire station for $500

Rat Cheer

That is a smoking deal. The 570's are going for 600+ alone still. I wish I had the coin for that ad.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:57:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Saw a TS-120 listed on QRZ for $125, went pretty quick. Check QTH swap & QRZ swap several times per day, someone here stumbled on a FT-897D for $300 the other day.

I saw that too. Too bad property taxes just took a big bite out of the radio fund. Keep your eyes open danpass. The deals are out there but they don't last long.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I would steer clear of any used gear. Too many guys who think they know what their doing, go ahead and made mods and improvements to their equipment. No thanks, besides used gear is still a lot of money. I like the idea of having a warranty, and that new box smell just cant be beat!!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I like used gear.  I bought a new HT once.  Everything else is used.  And curently most is 40+ years old.  Well, 6 of my HF rigs are.   I have great luck with QTH.    I just could never see myself giving up the money for a new rig at the current prices.  I have bought used rigs that were basically NIB for hundreds less than store prices.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I just sold a Kenwood TS-140 for $300

It's a wonderful radio,  100watt, all mode HF, general coverage receiver, great audio, and easy to use.

best of all...no menus

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:46:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i am not sure budget and HF belong in the same thread. after looking here i finally sucked it and bought a new 897d. i don't know enough to test an older rig and sending one off to be retuned if i got a turd wasn't appealing. by the time i figured it all up i was into the cost of a new modern radio with a warranty for not much more money.

used gear around here commands a premium for some reason.

several days of internet searching actually inspired this thread
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]
danpass, IM sent.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
danpass, IM sent.

IM replied.  let me know what you think
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like used gear.  I bought a new HT once.  Everything else is used.  And curently most is 40+ years old.  Well, 6 of my HF rigs are.   I have great luck with QTH.    I just could never see myself giving up the money for a new rig at the current prices.  I have bought used rigs that were basically NIB for hundreds less than store prices.

Agreed. I buy used wherever possible. While a warranty is nice, I feel there is little risk buying used electronics from a reputable seller. With modern electronics, it seems like it either suffers infant death or lasts forever if treated used properly.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#21]
A few cheap (i.e., under $250) HF radios worth considering:

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Ski, your avatar is very frightening.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#23]
What do you mean?  It looks just like him.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I buy used wherever possible. While a warranty is nice, I feel there is little risk buying used electronics from a reputable seller. With modern electronics, it seems like it either suffers infant death or lasts forever if treated used properly.

Agreed x 2. I buy both, and am an avid producer of high-quality used gear

Don't forget to check the equipment exchange here. I just recently sold four radios on EE, two of which were virtually brand new,
and the other two of which were very gently used. As long as the seller is reputable and delivers the equipment, I think the risk
is pretty low (e.g. you're far more likely to get ripped off than get a broken radio.)
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:56:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
all the Icom 706 units that I find are in fact the IIG models (which is mho siemens dollahs)

You can find them, but they are a little harder than the MkIIg. There were more of the later models made, but it seems people tend to keep the 706 more than the others. It is funny since the 706 only has 10 watts on 2 meters, and no 70cm. The MkIIg is superior on RX with the DSP and is an all band unit, but it does suffer on RX of AM, and one of the common mods is to replace the factory filter with that of the 706.

I got lucky with mine, and picked it up cheap off of craigslist. The nice thing was I was able to demo the unit on the air at the guys QTH.

I love my 706, it is not the end all be all of radio's. It has a good receiver but it does have a wide front end, and it is a little noisy. The receiver on my TS-520s is better than my 706, but it is also 10 times larger and heavier.

I own 2 HF rigs, the Icom 706 and the Kenwood TS-520S, both are budget rigs, and both work very well. I would recommend either one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's a wonderful radio,  100watt, all mode HF, general coverage receiver, great audio, and easy to use.

best of all...no menus

What a coincidence, I just bought a Kenwood TS-140 for $300

I had it on 10m briefly today, its quieter than my IC-718.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Insider trading ……… reported

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

best of all...no menus

What a coincidence, I just bought a Kenwood TS-140 for $300

I had it on 10m briefly today, its quieter than my IC-718.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top