Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 7:00:19 PM EDT

I live in a neighborhood with all underground utilities.   Years ago a cable guy told me that with the
utilities underground, you don’t need to worry about current surge from indirect lightning strikes entering
the house through the electrical or cable service… the only worry is a direct
hit on the house (or antenna if one is in place).  I’ve wondered about this… fact or
fiction?  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Not nearly as much protection as he thinks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Lightning consists of the near-instantaneous transfer of a large electrical charge between (1.) one cloud and another, or (2.) one cloud and ground.

In the latter case, tremendous currents flow through the ground over to the point where the strike occurs.

Buried cables are much better electrical conductors than dirt - which means that when a lightning strike occurs nearby, these cables often carry much more of the current than the surrounding dirt. Anything that happens to be connected to the cables during the strike is likely to be subjected to sudden, huge swings in electrical potential - which can most certainly cause major damage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top