Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2012 7:02:35 PM EDT
I feel like I need to make an admission akin to how AA meetings go...  I'm a ham, and I'm not too good with the a few technical aspects of the hobby

So to my problem.   I bought a valley enterprises USB CT-62 CAT Cable (FTDI chipset) to connect my radio to my asus netbook.    HRD is not connecting IIRC it's saying frequency not detected.  

I'm perplexed because my USB CAT cable for my ICOM 718 from valley enterprises does allow me to connect to HRD without any problems.
-I do have the drivers installed and up to date.
-I'm using the same usb port
-I'm plugging the radio end of the cord into the right spot.

What else can I do to get my 857d connected to HRD before I worry about the cable being defective?
Cable: http://www.valley-ent.com/catalog/yaesu-ct62-cable-ft100-ft817-ft857-foot-ftdi-chipset-p-562.html

On another note what cable do I need to get to connect my signalink to my FT857d?   I got this cable and hope it's the right one.  I didn't get far enough to test it today as I spent all my time working with the USB CAT cable.

Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm 99% sure you got the right data cable, the 6-pin cable is used on the 817 and 897s I've had, and the 857 should be the same, Yaesu is pretty standardized on the
6-pin.

Remember inside the tigerlink you need to bridge the right pins on the IC socket connector to get the audio in/out and PTT to the right pins on the cable.

On the USB cat cable, those are the cables I've used (Valley Enterprises) and I've been very happy with them. I doubt it's defective.

Key things to check are to make sure you've got the CAT data rate setting on both the radio and the PC set the same
(I think Yaesu defaults to 38400, Icom default is 19200) then of course you need to set HRD to use the Yaesu and not Icom.

Also make sure you're powering down both the radio and HRD, then power up radio, then HRD. You may not always have to do this,
but often the radio will get "confused" during the configuration process and the power down/power up sequence makes sure
it comes back online in a sane state.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
All of this "what cable/adapter do I need?" stuff is why I highly recommend the Donner Digital Interfaces.  You order them for your particular radio and they will come with all of the correct connections needed.

But some will say, "What if I want to use it with another radio?"

Simple, you order another Donner interface for THAT other radio.  They are only $40.

To the OP, pardon the hijack... back to your problem.  If it makes you feel any better, I never did get my FT-897 working with my Rigblaster Plug & Play.  The P&P worked OK with an Icom 718, and the guy I sold it to has it working with his radio, whatever that is.

I had some problems with my Ten-Tec Jupiter.  I could get receive, but could not make the Jupiter kick into transmit from the computer.  I ordered a Donner like I used with my 718, and had it all working in about 15 minutes.  BTW, there is a level pot you can adjust inside the Donner interface.

Hopefully someone will come by with some help for you.  The CT62 is the correct cable.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, this is a common problem, too... make sure HRD is recognizing the correct ComPort.  Hook up your CT62 and go into your computer's Device Manager.  See which ComPort is assigned to it.  Make sure HRD is looking for that same Comport.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

All of this "what cable/adapter do I need?" stuff is why I highly recommend the Donner Digital Interfaces.  You order them for your particular radio and they will come with all of the correct connections needed.

Simple, you order another Donner interface for THAT other radio.  They are only $40.

To the OP, pardon the hijack... back to your problem.  If it makes you feel any better, I never did get my FT-897 working with my Rigblaster Plug & Play.  The P&P worked OK with an Icom 718, and the guy I sold it to has it working with his radio, whatever that is.

I had some problems with my Ten-Tec Jupiter.  I could get receive, but could not make the Jupiter kick into transmit from the computer.  I ordered a Donner like I used with my 718, and had it all working in about 15 minutes.  BTW, there is a level pot you can adjust inside the Donner interface.

Hopefully someone will come by with some help for you.  The CT62 is the correct cable.
I agree. AFM turned me onto them.
Works nice with my IC-728

I have one of the USB cables for my 70g and I cannot seem to get the FTDI chip to work for me.

Check your jumpers on your SignaLink I guess.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:45:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll try the power down sequence thing... I wasn't doing that, And I'll double check the comm port.  Worse case scenario, surely a local ham can help me troubleshoot it.   I did have the data rate set correctly, I remember that 38400 number.

I'll get a Donner for the 857 if this doesn't work...too bad, I have the pre made jumpers so I can switch my signalink from the Icom to Yaesu really quick.  FWIW I do like the ability to use the signalinks soundcard instead of my computer's  I can stream netflix or pandora and still have a psk31 QSO...not sure I can do that with the donner.

Thanks for the advice  I'll try and get this setup working in the AM.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I'll try the power down sequence thing... I wasn't doing that, And I'll double check the comm port.  Worse case scenario, surely a local ham can help me troubleshoot it.   I did have the data rate set correctly, I remember that 38400 number.

I'll get a Donner for the 857 if this doesn't work...too bad, I have the pre made jumpers so I can switch my signalink from the Icom to Yaesu really quick.  FWIW I do like the ability to use the signalinks soundcard instead of my computer's  I can stream netflix or pandora and still have a psk31 QSO...not sure I can do that with the donner.

Thats the good thing about the SiganLink, its interchangeable for cheap.

I had a hell of a time trying to figure out my cable as I stated.

I have the RS-232 cable with a computer tower and it works great in that combination.

I read somewhere that laptops might not have enough power for the radio.

Good luck OP!

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have the RS-232 cable with a computer tower and it works great in that combination.

Good luck OP!

I'm hoping it has enough power...never thought of that. My netbook does great with the ic-718

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#8]
delete the driver software then plug the cable in and then install the drivers. you will need to change the com port to one that HRD will see. try changing it to com 1 or 2 then fire up HRD with the radio on. i had the same problem at first with my cable and my FT100D. that fixed it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Good luck OP!

I'm hoping it has enough power...never thought of that. My netbook does great with the ic-718

your laptop isnt trying to power the radio and USB is 5v across the board. there are no power differences even from 1-3.0. its all 5V.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd say it's most likely an issue with the drivers & the netbook. I ran into a similar problem where the touch-pad shared the Com port number with the serial port and it drove me bonkers. The laptop wouldn't boot half the time, the touch-pad wouldn't work.

Google & download USBDview, it's a utility that tells you what is/was connected to your USB ports and uninstall previously used USB devices.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#11]
1. It looks like you've got the correct Signalink cable. You probably know this already, but jumper settings can be found here: http://www.dxengineering.com/pdf/TigerTronics-Cables-Rev38.pdf and on the Tigertronics website.

2. You can use your Signalink without CAT control. The Signalink will key the rig for you using the Signalink built-in VOX function. You will have to make frequency and mode changes manually, of course. Make sure you put your Signalink delay control on minimum. There are VERY few modes that need any delay setting at all (Feld Hell comes to mind...)

3. Check menu items 19 and 20 on your 857D. The default CAT rate is 4800 (menu 19).

4. Do you know exactly which COM port the USB cable instantiates when you plug it in? Remember, this may change depending on which USB port you plug it into.

Keep us posted. At least tell us you have the Signalink running for this evening's digital net...
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#12]
What OS?

There are two types of chipsets in the USB/Cat interfaces, and one does not work with x64. I found out the hard way.

ETA: Prolific will not work with x64, FTDI should.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

2. You can use your Signalink without CAT control. The Signalink will key the rig for you using the Signalink built-in VOX function. You will have to make frequency and mode changes manually, of course. Make sure you put your Signalink delay control on minimum. There are VERY few modes that need any delay setting at all (Feld Hell comes to mind...)

Keep us posted. At least tell us you have the Signalink running for this evening's digital net...

My experience setting up the Signalink on the FT-897D ( same as the FT-857D):

In windows, where you set the levels for the Signalink, be sure to set the levels to max: Wave & Speaker. Disable all the others, CD etc. Next, open up the Signalink and move JP2 so it is shorting both pins, you need extra audio level from the FT-857/897 data port.

I had to disable my Avast anti virus because it would cause the Signalink TX to chatter for some reason when it did an update.  I probably need to disable all Windows Sounds which would explain it.

The Signalink receive audio control should be about 12 to 1 o'clock.

Go into the FT 857 menu and set the Digital Mic Gain to 20 (or lower if you like). Set TX power to 20-30 watts. The Signalink TX level control should be around 9 o'clock. Select the ALC meter then use Fldigi to key the TX and adj. the Signalink TX gain control until you just see one bar barely flicker on the ALC.
FWIW, I got the exact same Valley cable the other day and it works fine with HRD5 and the FT-897 on WinXP. Driver install was a little hinkey, I had to read the directions to get it right, it was a two step process but it works fine with the Signalink attached. Shoot me an IM this eve. if you want to compare Win settings.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wait...what? Did I miss the memo?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait...what? Did I miss the memo?

The Memo.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#16]
OS is 64 windows, and I'm using an FTDI chipset.  Tried the prolific much earlie

To the other poster...I can run my netbook with the IC-718 and signalink no problem.  But unless the net is before 1830CST, I've got to go to work
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My experience setting up the Signalink on the FT-897D ( same as the FT-857D):

In windows, where you set the levels for the Signalink, be sure to set the levels to max: Wave & Speaker. Disable all the others, CD etc. Next, open up the Signalink and move JP2 so it is shorting both pins, you need extra audio level from the FT-857/897 data port.

I had to disable my Avast anti virus because it would cause the Signalink TX to chatter for some reason when it did an update.  I probably need to disable all Windows Sounds which would explain it.

The Signalink receive audio control should be about 12 to 1 o'clock.

Go into the FT 857 menu and set the Digital Mic Gain to 20 (or lower if you like). Set TX power to 20-30 watts. The Signalink TX level control should be around 9 o'clock. Select the ALC meter then use Fldigi to key the TX and adj. the Signalink TX gain control until you just see one bar barely flicker on the ALC.

FWIW, I got the exact same Valley cable the other day and it works fine with HRD5 and the FT-897 on WinXP. Driver install was a little hinkey, I had to read the directions to get it right, it was a two step process but it works fine with the Signalink attached. Shoot me an IM this eve. if you want to compare Win settings.

This is the reason I'm bothered, this works with the IC-718, and doesn't with the 857d.  I'll I'm you tomorrow...have work tonight.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, I feel your frustration.
I hope you get things figured out.

I went through almost the same headache a while back.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm interested in this as I ordered that same cable from Amazon last night.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm runnign the FTDI cable with my 857D on an x64 installation of Win7. No problems.

Is windows perhaps trying to default to the old driver?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
i have had some issues with mine under win7. it appears windows somehow got the USB config confused and it would intermittently drop only a reboot would fix it. i finally uninstalled the ports rebooteed to allow windows to reinstall the usb bus, then installed the drivers again and connected the cable to the bus, then the radio. no issues since.

I had a similar problem. In my case, it was the prolific chipset. When I switched to FTDI, no more problems.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I just realized, in reading some ham forum posts, that I didn't check menu #20, which chooses what that port does (cat vs linear). Think that could be it?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:05:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just realized, in reading some ham forum posts, that I didn't check menu #20, which chooses what that port does (cat vs linear). Think that could be it?

Oh sure. Pay attention those ham forum posts. But not my post above...

Or did you mean to say this ham forum? Yeah, that's it, you saw it in this ham forum...
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or did you mean to say this ham forum? Yeah, that's it, you saw it in this ham forum...
You mean there are other ham forums? WHAT!!!

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That was the problem.  Now if I can just get my signalink re-setup.   Thanks!    And it was this ham forum, and another.  sometimes you just have to read twice to get it in your head.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was the problem.  Now if I can just get my signalink re-setup.   Thanks!    And it was this ham forum, and another.  sometimes you just have to read twice to get it in your head.
So youve got it figured out?

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, iz it iz or iz it ain't workin'?

If it is, tell us what you did, so others can learn.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yea, wut he sed.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:01:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Upon your recommendation I ordered one of the Donner Digital interfaces for my FT-857D.  It shipped today, so when it gets here I might need some help getting it setup correctly.  I'm usually pretty good with computers.  Combining that with Ham Radio might leave me scratching my head.  

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:09:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Had a surprise in the mail box today.  The Valley Enterprises USB CT-62 CAT Cable that I had ordered had arrived!  Plugged it in, downloaded the drivers and I'm now controlling my Yaesu with HRD.  Now I can't wait for my Donner Digital interface to arrive.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#33]
SWEET!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
SWEET!

Really!  Considering how much trouble the OP was having I thought that I might had to have pulled out some of my hair to get it to work.  It basically was plug and play.  I just had to make sure what com port it was assigned and that the port baud speed as set correctly. (used the default 4800 bps)

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SWEET!

Really!  Considering how much trouble the OP was having I thought that I might had to have pulled out some of my hair to get it to work.  It basically was plug and play.  I just had to make sure what com port it was assigned and that the port baud speed as set correctly. (used the default 4800 bps)

Vulcan94

I could never get my cable to work on my computer. I hate the USB. I think Im just too stupid to

figure out the drivers maybe. For some reason I had a hard time with FTDI driver.

I found an RS-232? (9 pin) connector at a hamfest to go into my computer and to my 706.

With the SignaLink and that, Im good to go.

Ive also got a Donner for my 728 that I havent used since I got the 706. Happy with the Donner too.

Before I did all of that, I homebrewed a cable to go from the computer to radio and had to key the radio manually.

It got confusing at times but very very effective.

Hope to see ya soon!!

Link Posted: 1/8/2012 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, wut he sed.

My problem was not setting menu 20 to cat. Once I get the signalink working again and I have some more experience with the 857, I plan on writing a quick start guide. I had to restore my netbook right before I got the cables, so I need to reinstall drivers.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top