Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/30/2011 6:24:31 AM EDT
Well, the DHL truck of goodness stopped by my place last night and dropped off a box from the UK.

Inside was my PRC-320! It is in good used shape with only one mechanical defect, a broken fin, that I'm certain some JB Weld will fix. I did some tuning around with it on 20M and, much to my surprise, the first station I heard was Art Bell! He's back in the US and was on from his place in Nevada. It was a real hoot to just sit and listen to him have a discussion with a few other folks.

This morning, I made a short QSO with a nearby friend on 40M and, according to my wattmeter, the 10 watts the thing was putting out was doing just fine. Great audio report, etc.

Photos to follow this afternoon.
Damn you, Piccolo!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Spray paint it orange and you can also say Damn you AR-Jedi.  

I looked up the radio... nice rig.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Damn!  Paper towels, I need paper towels!!!

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Burn the blasphemer!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuuuu!  It's got a wonky oscillator! Not a difficult repair but it is frustrating.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fuuuu!  It's got a wonky oscillator! Not a difficult repair but it is frustrating.

Betche gten98'll send you the part free.

Link Posted: 9/30/2011 10:14:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How did you troubleshoot the issue and what would you have to do to repair it?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:19:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I sent him a message.  It's not the oscillator, it's the power supply.  Seems like a simple fix, too.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 3:20:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did you troubleshoot the issue and what would you have to do to repair it?

it is a common problem with these radios.  Like any old radio, it is a capacitor problem, most likely.  

http://g4oep.atspace.com/rt320/rt320.htm

Replace two caps and maybe a few transistors and it's fixed.

ETA:  Replaced C8, a 1.7uF cap with the only suitable one I had on hand.   A 20uF electrolytic.  Needless to say... it takes the synth a little while to sloooowly get up to a stable freq.  

I'll do a proper repair on it when I get home.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top