Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2011 12:19:54 AM EDT
Since Im deployed I guess I will study a little a take the test when I go back.

In the mean time??

If you want to have "personal conversation" is it possible to have a radio set you can encrypt? Like a LMR/ or VHF handset?

Second, is there an freq hopping radios available, not encrypted but close enough. Can you program two radios to do this?

I fly and I'm familiar with the mil nets/ops/radios etc, hence the question

Basically any secure radios?
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:52:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You can get secure Sabers on ebay all day long.

You cant do any of it with a ham license. except FHSS on UHF.

(Frequency Hopping spread Spectrum) but not the "secure" kind.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#2]
"Encryption" is specifically not permitted in the amateur service.

How secure do you want to be?

Some of the secure stuff you can use IF you publish the encryption key.

There are a lot of restrictions on spread spectrum, and frequency hopping is a form of spread spectrum.  Someone may come along that knows the SS rules, I don't remember them off the top of my head.

For lower level security you can just use uncommon modes and/or bands to avoid most casual eavesdropping.  Something like NXDN digital, or in some (many) areas of the country, just use 222MHz.  SSB in an out-of-the-way part of the 70cm band would never be found.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Use EBCIDIC over RTTY using a 500 hz shift.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That probably falls under the heading of "cruel and unusual".

I love it...

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That probably falls under the heading of "cruel and unusual".

I love it...

If you want to get really evil, uuencode your text then base64encode it for transmission.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
"Codes or ciphers intended to obscure the meaning" are prohibited, but there is no rule that states how much information you must transmit.  If you identify correctly and transmit only as much information as you need to communicate effectively, you're completely legal and anyone hearing your transmission might as well be hearing encrypted audio if you do it right.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
"Codes or ciphers intended to obscure the meaning" are prohibited, but there is no rule that states how much information you must transmit.  If you identify correctly and transmit only as much information as you need to communicate effectively, you're completely legal and anyone hearing your transmission might as well be hearing encrypted audio if you do it right.  

Or go the other direction. Transmit random dictionary words with your "payload" words every 10th

Example:

Loch Ness reduplicate Congress of the United States Beersheba or bola lifeboat briarwood Gracefulness red algae kinesiologist OK79 -th go Unbounded Molecast Cyanometer Irad El Monte Willow-gall feijoa the Virgin Islands National Park kobold strapper zymotic retinular Feeblest other Prosopium unintellectual apostolicity yarn-spinning Postposit Veratralbine go beyond direction Platus anhinga Abies pectinata timber hitch codependent dulciana 02TX transmit Improbity slip-joint pliers hydrophone Closehanded Stropharia hornemannii explosive random filled mine zithern zufi derma- Vengeably localite ACTH FORTRAN program dictionary Swiss Confederation OR07 millenarianism Masonic raw meat Continualness Undergird NHZ words Scotticism cystotomy Xiang RNAS Duster unpolitic watermelon begonia Toison SN29 with gelly 31IL petite Glorify Tracheophonae Outweary water-washed Petalous Zeuzera your aesculi Theologer Potatoes rapture dry masonry prothetic freshwater pearl modern payload man McRae, Carmen Prerequire estheticism Privileged wild crab Quotient HBW words At leastways metrification Planudes Oneirocritic from hence ferica Progne every subis dorso- SIGLOS solid fuel liturgy Alfred Bernhard Nobel a tenth load off mind hosel inflammable Packstaff north western genus Hemachatus noncombatant Hopping

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you want to have "personal conversation" is it possible to have a radio set you can encrypt?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=604477&page=2#10323386

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you want to have "personal conversation" is it possible to have a radio set you can encrypt?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=604477&page=2#10323386

ar-jedi

It is officially OK to use codes for telecommand of a satellite. So OP, if the guy you want to talk to is in space, you can use encrypted means to tell him to go into power save mode
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top