Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2011 8:25:56 AM EDT
Doctors say its an uphill battle....

took a turn for the worse last night when I ordered this:

they say that the next phase of VX-8DR is buying the bluetooth and GPS add ons... after that they don't know how bad it will get

ETA: on the up side, its submersible, and I should have it just in time for the flood

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:30:38 AM EDT
[#1]
What model....I'm looking now myself
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#2]
VX-8DR, forked over the 400$....  haven't been notified of a tracking number, should get an email sometime today
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:15:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Just picked up the gps and speaker mic at the hamfest this last weekend. It is a true disease.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
can you post pics of the GPS installed? wondering how klunky it is....  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I too have an 8DR with the GPS and stand combination.  I ran this for a while, but when I started clipping the radio to my backpack, I picked up the speakermic, which is a very nice unit.  I wouldn't say it's clunky, and has a very nice slim profile.

I'll say that if you don't get the GPS, you should have just bought the VX7, so you HAVE to get it

I have the BT kit in my Yaesu FTM-350, and don't use it as much as I thought I would, though it is nice when the YL is in the car and doesn't want to hear radio stuff.

While you're at it, you'll want to pickup a larger battery like the Yaesu 1800mah one or this 2000mah version from Batteries America..  And like the rest of us, you will likely hate the clip that comes with this radio, so you'll end up wanting the spring clip from the same link.

Congrats on a picking up a GREAT moneypit radio!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I got the 8r over the 7 because of the APRS functionality, it gets used sometimes here at school when they launch balloons with experiments on them. I figure the bluetooth might be handy as well.

ill get a 350 when I can afford one
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
BRD has a lot of manifestations. Black rifles, black radios, and sometimes blue radios.

Before you know it you'll have this going on:

(No black rifles in frame (there's one off to the left) but there are a 1911 and a glock in that pic
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BRD has a lot of manifestations. Black rifles, black radios, and sometimes blue radios.

http://www.hamfest.org/FLEX-3000.jpg

http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~k/flex.jpg

(No black rifles in frame (there's one off to the left) but there are a 1911 and a glock in that pic

BLUE Radio Disease - I really like that.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
can you post pics of the GPS installed? wondering how klunky it is....  

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#10]
well that makes more sense...   I though it plugged into the radio its self, not a speaker mic...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.hamfest.org/FLEX-3000.jpg

http://pohl.ececs.uc.edu/~k/flex.jpg

BLUE Radio Disease - I really like that.  

I REALLY want one of those flex radios..... soon I hope

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
well that makes more sense...   I though it plugged into the radio its self, not a speaker mic...

It works either way. Generally having it on the mic means it will have better satellite reception.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Not to knock the new radio.  I just sold mine and switched to the new Kenwood :)
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I couldn't justify the extra $ on the kenwood,  actually I called a guy who had one listed on eham and he said the same thing. im also a yaesu guy....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top