Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2010 5:25:14 PM EDT
A couple of us local guys decided having a way to leave a un-attended message for each other would be a good thing for emcomms. There are a lot of options we decided on packet radio because its internet independent.  ya ya I know about it being slow and a supposed dead technology, but it seems like a good option for us. Considering TNCs can be had extremely cheap these days at flea markets.

Anyways. my TNC has a PMBBS so I do not have to have a computer connected for people to be able to connect to me to leave a message. I was wondering since my house is already setup for wifi, if there is something I can plug into the back of the rs232 port of the TNC that would allow me to bacscly wireless connect to my TNC. I don't even know if I am explaining this right, but I think from a little google there is a solution but I'm not even sure if it will do what I want.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]

what you want is generically called a "terminal server".  ethernet on one end, one or more serial ports on the other.  you telnet/ssh to it from a PC, and then connect to a given serial port.   now then, you can use a lot of different/interesting things as a terminal server; this is dependent on what you are capable/willing to hack up.  but even a commercial single serial port terminal server (1 ethernet/1 serial port) you should be able to pick up quite inexpensively.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 10/19/2010 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok so plug in for example the unit listed the links. Then run som cat 5 to it and plug the other end into you computer? I suppose (I don't know how) I could even get it so I can telnet via wifi?
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:42:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok so plug in for example the unit listed the links. Then run som cat 5 to it and plug the other end into you computer? I suppose (I don't know how) I could even get it so I can telnet via wifi?

Yes you can. Get a couple of Linksys WAP11's [dirt cheap on eBay] or WAP54g's and set them up as a bridge, very easy -ask, and you are good to go.

You could also bridge them a few miles [done it] and further using more advanced radios.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top