Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 4:49:31 PM EDT

A branch of my thread in GD: "a day of missile silos and a tall tv tower"

full thread here:  
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1086876

well I visited the second tallest structure in the world, the KVLY tv tower today. seeing it from 14 miles away it didn't look very tall, but as soon as I got up to it the mast was indeed massive, holding my little 5 watt Yaesu Ft-60, it made me feel completely inadequate.

2,063 feet to the top, (3,038 feet MSL) and there is an elevator up the center.

the antenna is 113' tall and weighs 9,000 pounds. the structure weighs 864,500 pounds.

The total length of guy wires is 40,125 feet

In a 70 mile-per-hour wind, the beacon light on top of the KVLY tower will move approximately ten feet.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#1]
DAYUM, that's a tower!!  I bet that's against the rules for most HOA's & CCR's.  

By the way, there's something in your left nostril......    J/K!!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
2kft...damn, i bet that would take a while to climb....I think if I had to climb it and work off it, I would prolly BASE off of it to save the climb down...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like it would've been easier to build three small towers scattered around.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#4]
meh...it don't rotate..

j/k Can you imagine that thing with a bunch of stacked monobanders on it?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#5]
You could fit a 160m full wave vertical dipole on there with 900' to spare. Are you even allowed to build towers that high anymore?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:17:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Well lets see if I can get all the "technical" stuff correct. The elevation above mean sea level of the KOBR-TV tower is 1,362.1 feet. The tower height is 1,610 feet. It is located in Caprock, NM about 30 miles E of Roswell, NM. OK so why is this informative? Our 2m repeater is located at the 1,400 foot level of the tower! Simple J-pole and when the repeater is working correctly, right now it's about 1/2 power and we don't know why! We cover approximately 100 miles + of Southeast NM /West Texas about the only thing that inteferes with our signal is 13,000 feet of mountains to our west!
Further the reason we can't get to the repeater to find out what's wrong is KOBR has had so few issues, on the tower, they have not checked and certified the elevator in a number of years! Hopefully that will happen soon! Now AR Jedi or JaxShooter might free climb to 1,400 feet but none of us in this neck of the desert will!!! :-)

Sarge
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
2kft...damn, i bet that would take a while to climb....I think if I had to climb it and work off it, I would prolly BASE off of it to save the climb down...
I was thinking the same thing. 6 second delay would get you down to a grand at pull.

I have left airplanes at not much higher altitudes than this antenna. (USPA License D13011)

Oh ... radios ... yeah. What a ham could do with something like this at his disposal.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You could fit a 160m full wave vertical dipole on there with 900' to spare. Are you even allowed to build towers that high anymore?

Pretty much, No.  You have to show the tower is a benefit to the local area to go past 1000',  Maybe in ND, but not so easy elsewhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top