Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2010 4:39:32 PM EDT
So I needed a 2nd external speaker on the cheap.  I have a Vertex MLS-100 that I really like but didn't feel like shelling out another $45 for one just for something to stick in the car to get beat up.

I received the following today for $10 shipped on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390099625436&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

About half the size of the MLS-100 and for the price, it works very well.  Not _quite_ the sound quality of the MLS-100 but at less than 1/4 the price, it's pretty nice and sounds good.  It feels like a solid little unit too - rugged plastic case and mount for the price.  Just figured I'd share in case anybody needed another speaker and didn't want to pay a lot for it
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I use this one!  It works great in my car on my FT-8800.  I need to pick up another one for my box project since I gave one to someone else.  I had a radio shack one in my car the heat killed it while it sat in the car one day.  This one has stood up to more heat than than the radio shack one.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Dang!!!  I paid more than that for one just like it.

It is the same as the Icom SP-22.

A good speaker, and it's bandwidth matches the human voice very well, and rolls off above and below, getting rid of useless noise.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah it seems to be quite the bargain for a small Chinese knockoff.  I may order another one or two for my scanners as well, so to have more centrally directed sound output from them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2010 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Dang!!!  I paid more than that for one just like it.

It is the same as the Icom SP-22.

A good speaker, and it's bandwidth matches the human voice very well, and rolls off above and below, getting rid of useless noise.

Dang, you're right http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/speakers/4777.html  and 1/4 the price  Even cheaper if you buy more than 1.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I may end up ordering 2 of these tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The last two mobile use speakers I bought came from a truck stop CB shop. Cheap and they had plenty!

RS
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 8:29:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up 2 at the Goodwill store for $2 bucks each. Nice little cubes speakers that came from a surround sound system.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:13:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd recommend the MFJ Cleartone.  They run $13 or so from HRO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 10:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Been using that exact speaker,  about a year ago I got 4 for $10 .   Guess they caught on,  agreed, they sound fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top