Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2010 5:57:51 PM EDT
I have a Ten Tec Scout coming in and the mobile HF itch needs some scratching.  The antenna(s) that I plan on using are High Sierras copy of the hamstick, working initially 17 and 40 but of course there are questions.
I can install a thick NMO mount towards the back of the roof, then use an NMO to 3/8-24 adapter for the antenna, but the height may hit 13+ feet.  Ok, another option can be the rear bumper on either side of the taillights with a bracket to distance the coil from the metal body.  I could also do the same with the front bumper. Pros/cons?  The most interesting idea would replace the stock factory radio antenna with a 3/8-24 mount on the front left fender.  Another option right around that area could involve a bracket coming out from the fenderwell right above the tire with the antenna mounting a bit out from the sheet metal.  Those of you that have or have had mobile HF rigs of a fairly simple nature, how did you get started?
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 4:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
On both of my suburbans (92 and 2002) I mounted a hamstick QD on the bumper. Performance has been good. Ideally, the roof would be better, but the height could be a problem. I also used a piece of para cord tied around the top of the fiberglass section, keeping the antenna from flopping all over the place.
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:04:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Use an auto tuner to feed a 102" whip on the rear or front bumper.  Then tie down the end for NVIS :)
Link Posted: 6/3/2010 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Use an auto tuner to feed a 102" whip on the rear or front bumper.  Then tie down the end for NVIS :)

Worked great for RX, sucked Ass for TX on anything but 10M.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top