Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2010 4:40:49 PM EDT
I've been thinking about getting an antenna setup for this.

I was into cb's along time ago but never ham. Can I get an antenna that only mounts on the pole or do I need guy lines and the such?

Any recommendations on what to put up there?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you know there's a UFO above your antenna?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
You could put up some decent antennae on that tower. For CB, look at the Antron 99 or Solarcon 99(same thing different name). For ham, you could put a fairly large VHF/UHF beam and a vertical on that setup. Does the rotor still work?
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Did you know there's a UFO above your antenna?  

HAHA! I saw that when I uploaded it. Pretty sure it's a dove. Definitely missed it when I snapped the pic.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You could put up some decent antennae on that tower. For CB, look at the Antron 99 or Solarcon 99(same thing different name). For ham, you could put a fairly large VHF/UHF beam and a vertical on that setup. Does the rotor still work?

Haven't tried the rotor in years. It's a pretty well sealed unit so I would think it's ok yet.

I was looking at the Antron and the Solarcon. They can also be used for ham? Can you use the same tuner over cb and ham frequencies?

I had thought the two used different coax.

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
well first, you would have to get a license to operate on the ham bands and your license level will determine what bands you can use. start there before you worry about antennas if your thinking of going the ham route.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#6]
As mylt1 posted, you will need a license to operate on the ham bands. The Antron/Solarcon will operate on the CB band as well as the 10 meter ham band so it can do double duty. Coax is the same for CB and ham generally speaking.  The Antron doesn't require a tuner but most hams use various wire antennas that require them. Rotors have a tendancy to stop working if left idle for a long time. The grease inside dries up and becomes sticky. Give it a try and see if it will move.
http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_wink.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top