Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2010 11:55:01 AM EDT
Well here is my start to building my EmComm Box.  I am using a Pelican 1520 Case currently black for test fitting purposes.  After I get everything figured out I will be ordering an Orange 1520 Case to do final assembly.  I am currently running a Yaesu FT-7900R Mobile, Samlex 1223 Power Supply, and an external speaker.  The "guts" of the radio and power supply are going to be mounted in the bottom of the box I have the Pelican 1520 Frame Kit in the box along with a custom cut piece of plastic to cover up the "guts".  There will be a cooling fan mounted to the panel as you can see to help move air and then some more cooling ducts to be drilled into the plastic to help move air some more.  Heat is a killer of electronics I know (one year in Iraq).  This won't be just an EmComm box but also my fixed station to use at home as well.  This project is still in the works and I keep updating how I was doing stuff as I go along because it does not work or doesn't look good.  So I guess I am open to opinions don't make them to harsh....LOL any help would be great.

PICS:

ETA Pictures of it currently in use monitoring channels with Snow Storm Active:

ETA 2/24/10

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like it work out good. Do you plan to run the wires through the panel to the bottom or put jacks in the panel to plug into?
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Well most of the wires will be under the panel in loom of some sort.  The cables going to the remote head and external speaker will come through the panel.  I am planing on getting panel mount connectors for antenna cable.  The power cord for the Power Supply will be panel mounted as well as soon as I buy the connector for that and make the cut into the panel so I have few cables coming out on the top side of the panel.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]

I like how it's looking so far.  Consider this a TAG.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks ChinoUSMC and the mandatory this is al AR-Jedi's Fault!!!!  
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks Schweet!  Keep us up to date with pics, please!  

ETA:  Why is the NYPD outside of your house in WI in the top pic?  

ETA 2-25-10:  Now that's an ORANGE box!!!  I like it Mo' Better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 2:31:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Will do BigDaddy0004 I just ordered the Power Entry Module that you IMed me about.  So when that gets here and tax return gets here as well as me finding the correct screws to secure items with there will be more photos.  I hate to say but I have almost destroyed this Black Pelican case with test fitting.  But I have had this case for a long time so it can be my science experience before I purchase my orange case to outfit with equipment and my lay out.  I am going with a Rigrunner 4005 ran off of the power supply to power my couple of items and leave one or two spots open on the Rigrunner for future expansion.  This to me was the most simple way of wiring up and when I do figure out my Battery setup for this equipment all I have to is switch power from power supply to the battery plug in instead if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks fantastic!

I really, really like the idea of using a Pelican case for an EMCOMM box. They are rugged as hell, low profile, and easy to carry around.

If you want to plug your power supply cable right into the Pelican case itself, here is a link for a bulkhead-mounted power entry module with RF filter: LINK

Your build is going to be slicker than hell. Please keep us updated with more pics and descriptions as your project progresses...no pressure though!

ETA: Oops! Looks like BigDaddy beat me to the punch about suggesting the power entry module
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all again my research is paying off from watching all the EmComm box builds on here.  Most of my connections are going to be bulkhead or panel mount that way less holes to drill and less passing of wires through places.  This has been my "winter" project and as funds allow I pick up parts to build it.  So I will keep you all up to date on it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 3:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]

looking good so far, keep the pictures coming!

some thoughts:
- roll up antenna?
- pocket for your station ID, a pad, pen, etc?
- quick reference card for the radio?

the one thing i always wish i had brought along is a pad of sticky Post-It notes...

regards,
ar-it's-obviously-my-fault-jedi

ps: with a VHF/UHF rig do not assume when connecting to an unknown antenna downlead that it actually goes somewhere.  RACES deployments to hospitals etc have taught me never to trust a piece of coax hanging out of a wall.  do not TX until you a) are sure you can hear something, b) have set the radio to it's lowest power setting, and c) have an instrument to measure the SWR.  otherwise, bring along your own antenna.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Jedi if it wasn't for your orange box marathon on this site I never would have come up with my ideas.  I am currently running my VHF/UHF Slim Jim J-Pole antenna from N9TAX off E-bay so it too will be with me.  It is a great antenna so far.  I like the idea for the pocket for information/paper/pen/etc... So that will be incorporated here at some point.  Again thanks for the input and ideas guys!!!

ETA:
Where are/did you guys get the piece of plastic that you are putting in the bottom of your boxes?  I am thinking of finding some of that and cutting to fit in bottom of box and secure all my equipment to that and then securing the plastic in the box so if maintenance or change is needed I can unplug and remove whole thing from the box.  I have checked Wal-Mart around here and so far unable to locate the plastic.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like the idea for the pocket for information/paper/pen/etc...

i use a little zippered pocket thingy i picked up cheap at a stationery store –– it's designed for schoolkids to put in their three-ring-binders to hold their pencils and stuff.  in addition, i laminated some important/useful papers and i just keep them alongside the radios.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Where are/did you guys get the piece of plastic that you are putting in the bottom of your boxes?

HDPE/UHMWPE/POM(aka Delrin acetal) cutting board.  any cooking store, grocery store, etc.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not very handy as you can tell so far when it comes to tools lol.....But I found a company that sells the cutting board plastic that AR-Jedi posted above cut to fit the bottom of the box for $12 but I paid another $12 for shipping...LOL well anyway little less work I have to do so when tax money shows up to buy my orange box and transfer everything over to it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LOL see what happens when I go back through and read comments.  If you look closely a large amount of the fire engines in the picture are FDNY vehicles as well I am a nut when it comes to collecting Fire/EMS/Police vehicles.  

Off topic here is a general picture of my collection of FD/EMS/Police and my one shelf of my Military Items to show my history of my service in the Army many other items on other walls.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am not very handy as you can tell so far when it comes to tools lol.....But I found a company that sells the cutting board plastic that AR-Jedi posted above cut to fit the bottom of the box for $12 but I paid another $12 for shipping...LOL well anyway little less work I have to do so when tax money shows up to buy my orange box and transfer everything over to it.

This is where I bought my custom 3/4" cutting board.  The Cutting Board Co   I used a mill to cut a 1/4" recess for the batteries and power supply.

Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL see what happens when I go back through and read comments.  If you look closely a large amount of the fire engines in the picture are FDNY vehicles as well I am a nut when it comes to collecting Fire/EMS/Police vehicles.  

Off topic here is a general picture of my collection of FD/EMS/Police and my one shelf of my Military Items to show my history of my service in the Army many other items on other walls.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u111/The_Bear121/CIMG1514.jpg

Nice collection.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks I try hard it was my "hobby" before BRD and Radios.....LOL.

BigDaddy0004 do you work as a machinist or how did you mill out the plastic?  I may have to do the same to get the clearances I need in my case.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm an aircraft A&P mechanic, and I've worked for Rolls-Royce ( turbine aircraft engines, not cars ) for the past 25 years in the experimental test department as a technician.  That gives me access to some pretty nice tools.    A router would get the job done nicely.
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright sounds good even the non-talented people can do it.  I hope it fits and I don't have to do any extensive work to the board though.......
Link Posted: 2/9/2010 8:20:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like it will be a great set up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Well because I got an email from Opticsplanet that they have a sale of 5% off of all items.  So my orange "box" (pelican case) is ordered so all I have to do is swap parts when the layout is complete.  Was only $5 off but that is still better than what I would have paid.  I think most of my Pelican products came from Opticsplanet.  Optics Planet
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 9:32:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So my orange "box" (pelican case) is ordered

why orange?  
orange is soooo 2009.  

i read in HamStyle magazine that multicam is the new orange.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why orange?  

orange is soooo 2009.  

ar-jedi

If that is true then you started it. Everyone knows that you are responsible for starting new trends.

You must have a multicam box stashed away somewhere that you have not showed us.

Link Posted: 2/10/2010 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

why orange?  
orange is soooo 2009.  

ar-jedi

It was a toss up go with the orange or the even more safety conscious Yellow box.....LOL I think the orange is the most obnoxious color that Pelican makes.  If they had a multicam box I would have bought it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 2:20:47 PM EDT
[#25]
ar-it's-obviously-my-fault-jedi

I'm very encouraged to see that you are taking responsibility for your actions Jedi...

...obviously, the collective lack of fiscal restraint of this group can be sourced back to YOU: ARFcom's original amateur radio enabler.

And to think that at one time I actually thought those bubble pack GMRS radios from WalMart really did have a 12 mile range.

Link Posted: 2/15/2010 7:46:35 PM EDT
[#26]
New picture my "cutting" board arrived today.  Had to cut an inch off the end thought it was going to kill the jigsaw....  More pictures still coming still under construction.  Now to find some good prices on a Panel mount parts to work on the top of the panel.  Also awaiting my orange Pelican case to show up so I can slowly start transferring parts.    

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone know is there a preference to a bulk head type mount our a panel type mount?  This is so I can just have the antenna cable pass through the panel and look good.  I am worried about looks yes....LOL  So far this looks really smooth I haven't started to cut or drill holes yet.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Does anyone know is there a preference to a bulk head type mount our a panel type mount?  This is so I can just have the antenna cable pass through the panel and look good.  I am worried about looks yes....LOL  So far this looks really smooth I haven't started to cut or drill holes yet.....

Are you going to mount the connector on the metal cover or thru the side of the case? I would think on the metal cover would offer better security.

I don't know of a double female panel mount connector. I would say go with a bulkhead connector.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah it is going to come through the plastic panel that the fan is going to be mounted on that is on the inside of the case when the lid is closed.   I am all for protection of connectors.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 2:01:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yeah it is going to come through the plastic panel that the fan is going to be mounted on that is on the inside of the case when the lid is closed.   I am all for protection of connectors.

Then just use a bulkhead connector.

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 5:43:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah it is going to come through the plastic panel that the fan is going to be mounted on that is on the inside of the case when the lid is closed. I am all for protection of connectors.

Then just use a bulkhead connector.

2nd the notion....

Link Posted: 2/17/2010 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you go with the bulk head mount, get some star washers or locktight to keep it tight. I just used the flat nuts and they kept backing off when ever I attach the antenna
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you go with the bulk head mount, get some star washers or locktight to keep it tight. I just used the flat nuts and they kept backing off when ever I attach the antenna

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 4:02:34 PM EDT
[#34]
For guys building their own boxes....

See that very nice little speaker in the photo above?  I have a few available for $19.00 ea, price includes shipping.

These are new speakers, come complete with mounting bracket and cord with 1/8" plug.  Bandpass is perfect for voice cutting out boomy lows and high freq hiss and noise.

First come, first served.
Link Posted: 2/17/2010 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I got two speakers they are very loud and speech coming through them is great for the little size.  I use on in my car too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 1:26:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Update:  My box shipped today so I should be seeing orange in the next couple of days!!!  This box is going to be obnoxious......(Color that is )  Someone refered to the color as "steal me orange"  Watch for some new pictures when it gets here.
Link Posted: 2/24/2010 9:56:42 AM EDT
[#37]
New pics posted in original post my Pelican Case showed up today!  
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 6:17:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#39]
KH7O is where the insight behind mine came from I have emailed back and forth with him a little bit before building my kit.  He uses the pelican case a size under mine.  But his is where my ideas are coming from.  So a little late credit but it is there
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#40]
A little large but very nice setup in the link.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 12:32:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Looking forward to more updates.  I'm starting to get lots of little ideas for my own future build here.  

Wish I hadn't gotten rid of that 2m Kenwood Mobile last year though.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#42]
yeah been kind of lacking on updates havent gotten much time to work on it but parts are here and I am slowly putting it together work and school are kicking my butt currently.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Been posted before, but if you are looking for ideas.....

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/pcsutton/CIMG0057.jpg

Been posted before, but if you are looking for ideas.....

What size rack is that.

I am trying to decide what size rack to order. Don't know if I want a 6 or 8 place rack.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks pcsutton I have ideas upon ideas and keep changing things as I go along.....just need to get some time to put it together and run with it from there.  But I like ideas may give me a better idea of doing something/hooking up items.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top