Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 1:35:28 PM EDT
Hello,

I am looking for information on the Yaesu FT-270R.  How is it for a field radio?   It is supposedly submersible, but is it durable as well as far as impacts and the environment?

How long can I expect the battery to last on standby?  What kind of ranges can I expect to get out of it?

Also, how complicated or easy would it be to hook it up to a mobile or base station antenna?

Any help or input with this radio would be extremely appreciated!

Thank you.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking for information on the Yaesu FT-270R.  How is it for a field radio?  

i have the predecessor radio, the VX170, hanging off of my go-bag.  i have used this radio quite a bit, and found it easy to program, easy to use, and very versatile.

Quoted:
It is supposedly submersible, but is it durable as well as far as impacts and the environment?

waterproof and sturdy.  it uses the same commercial/industrial chassis as Yaesu/Vertex public safety radios.

Quoted:
How long can I expect the battery to last on standby?  

the supplied NiMHbattery will provide about 12 hours of standby operation.  you can take measures to increase this somewhat, for example making use of the receiver duty cycle setting.

Quoted:
What kind of ranges can I expect to get out of it?

HT <-> HT: 1 to 5 miles depending on terrain, antenna height above terrain, etc
HT <-> repeater: 1 to 25 miles depending on terrain, antenna height above terrain, repeater sensitivity, repeater selectivity, etc

note that the range above is simply how far you could be from the repeater site.  the end-to-end communication range when using a repeater has nothing to do with the HT itself; in fact you could communicate across more than a hundred miles on a suitable linked repeater system.  

Quoted:
Also, how complicated or easy would it be to hook it up to a mobile or base station antenna?

it's simple.  the radio has an SMA connector atop, and all you need is a piece of coax cable with an appropriate mating connector for the antenna downlead.  this should cost no more than US$10 or so.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#2]
its built like a brick s#%&house, and you cant beat the price.

Mine has hit the pavement so many times Ive lost count and has never failed me.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
might have to look into this...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 170 also and it's been a great radio.  Built like a brick and the price was great!

-Mark.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:42:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had 170's in the past and just picked up a 270.  They are both excellent radios.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top