Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 9:12:34 AM EDT
Hey all....

Now that I've passed the tests I wanted to get an HF radio... Really wanted a new Icom 718 but the money just isnt there and to top it off my water heater decided to die yesterday

Anyway been looking at Craigs list and such... I'm finding a lot of used stuff that people are wanting new or more $$ for (you'd think they were selling AR's!) I did find an Icom 730 locally for $300...Is this an easy to learn on radio and a decent price? It gets good reviews on Eham... I was looking at the 718 because it got good reviews for being an easy to learn on radio without all the menu driven crap..

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
As long as it's in good functional condition it should be fine for a basic HF amateur rig.  The eham reviews are a great resource to find out about known issues and it doesn't look like there's any problem with them.

Only thing is it looks like it doesn't have general coverage RX so no shortwave listening, and apparently no 160 meters either.  Everyone seems to like the receive quality which is really what makes an HF rig anyway.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#2]
My HF rig is an IC-751 from the 1983-84 that I got for $300.  I know it's not the same radio, but I believe they are similar.  See if you can power up the radio and operate it before you buy it.  If everything works, you won't be disappointed, and will have a fantastic radio for the price.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

user reviews for every HF radio ever made...
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/14

that said, if can wait and save for a IC718, i think you'll find it well worth it.  
the IC718 is the ham radio bargain of the century.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:28:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

user reviews for every HF radio ever made...
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/14

that said, if can wait and save for a IC718, i think you'll find it well worth it.  
the IC718 is the ham radio bargain of the century.

ar-jedi

This advice is so good I took it!!!  I posted an ad on the local Craigs list looking for Ham stuff this morning... Got several emails... One guy is giving me a free power supply in exchange for a cup of coffee! Heck of a deal...

Nother guy had a brand new in the box Icom 718 he won at a local hamfest last year and didnt need.. I picked it up a bit ago for $450... He also gave me several antennas,cables and a Daiwa Crossneedle SWR & Power Meter..

Now I  just need to get a tuner and hook it all up!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Good decision! The general coverage reciever is worth the extra $$. Having said that, the ic-730 is a great HF band only rig. The reciever is exceptional for it's age. Quad conversion and good sensitivity. I had one back in the 90's and loved it. They are worth about 200-225 if in nice shape.
ETA–– Cut yourself a dipole for 20m and get on the air! Don't wait for a tuner.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top