Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2009 1:44:39 PM EDT
Been looking at getting a small scanner to set up with my pre-programmed freqs, hidden in the vehicle with aux speaker where I can hear it and set up with a toggle switch to turn it on and off when I want.   Problem is finding the scanner I want.

Must be small, but NOT a handheld unit - would prefer something with either remote head mounting or 4"x6" size or thereabouts.

Must be multi band - I want to have the capability to program everything from HF to UHF if possible.   CB sideband freqs a plus...

Must have aux speaker jack and be mountable with bracket or easily made from scratch bracket.

Must be 12volt driven so I can mount in a vehicle.

Backlit a plus, but not necessary.

Any ideas?  
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Been looking at getting a small scanner to set up with my pre-programmed freqs, hidden in the vehicle with aux speaker where I can hear it and set up with a toggle switch to turn it on and off when I want. Problem is finding the scanner I want.

Must be small, but NOT a handheld unit - would prefer something with either remote head mounting or 4"x6" size or thereabouts.

Must be multi band - I want to have the capability to program everything from HF to UHF if possible. CB sideband freqs a plus...

Must have aux speaker jack and be mountable with bracket or easily made from scratch bracket.

Any ideas?

I believe having a scanner in a vehicle is illegal unless you have a ham license. Why it is still that way I don't really understand as most police radios are trunked and 'scrambled'. Back when they all used 2 meter, I could see it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 8:47:29 AM EDT
[#2]
That depends on State you live in if it is illegal in your vehicle.  In Wisconsin it is not.  Your best bet will be a Uniden they make the only ones I know of with a remote head and can be mounted anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.  I am a HAM operator, and in georgia atm.  Any uniden models in particular?
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Been looking at getting a small scanner to set up with my pre-programmed freqs, hidden in the vehicle with aux speaker where I can hear it and set up with a toggle switch to turn it on and off when I want. Problem is finding the scanner I want.

Must be multi band - I want to have the capability to program everything from HF to UHF if possible. CB sideband freqs a plus...

Any ideas?

I believe having a scanner in a vehicle is illegal unless you have a ham license. Why it is still that way I don't really understand as most police radios are trunked and 'scrambled'. Back when they all used 2 meter, I could see it.

Unless something has changed I know they aren't illegal in TX and the vast majority of PD's are trunked or scrambled - quite a few of the new scanners can work with trunked systems also.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Any ideas?

Unless something has changed I know they aren't illegal in TX and the vast majority of PD's are trunked or scrambled - quite a few of the new scanners can work with trunked systems also.

I don't think that "the vast majority" of PD's are trunked or scrambled. It depends on where you are. Chicago is one of the largest departments in the country, and they are neither trunked nor scrambled. In Illinois, every fire department was issued an interoperability radio from the state. It is VHF simplex. While trunking is becoming more prevalent, it is hardly the "vast majority" of systems out there. Even if it was, there are plenty of scanners that can track trunked systems. It all depends on which radio manufacturer was able to scam, er convince, your local government into a particular radio system.

Mike F

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
sorry my brain was moving faster than my fingers - I meant to say the vast majority aren't trunked or scrambled.  The only law in this region that I know about is in Oklahoma where they have a law against using a scanner while committing a crime or something along those lines.
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Scanner laws

In most states there are no laws prohibiting scanner use.  In about 10 states having a scanner is only illegal if used  in furtherance of a crime.  In a handful of states scanner use is illegal, but hams are exempted.  In New York state scanner use is illegal and the only exemption they make is for licensed hams to have a receiver capable of receiving amateur frequencies (I don't know why they need to make that exemption considering that we are already federally licensed to do so)

The FCC has stepped in and preempted state law (P.R. Docket 91-36), but this only exempts ham transceivers capable of wide rx, not scanners.

Now back to the original question…
Uniden makes a remote head  BC-RH96 that is compatable with several of their mobiles.
If you need to receive P25 go with the BCD996XT
Otherwise get a BCT15
Both have wide rx coverage (25MHz to 1.3GHz) and should scan everything you want

I know you said no handhelds, but the RH96 head is also compatible with the BCD396T and BCD396XT
handhelds. You could mount the head in your vehicle, leave the handheld in the glovebox/center console and remove it as needed for potable use/theft deterrence.  I personaly went with a BCD396T placed in my truck's cupholder.  When i'm not driving it serves as a base (I cant bring myself to spend $400 for a scanner I can only use while driving)

Link Posted: 9/7/2009 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Check your county and city laws.    Several cities in my area forbid or restrict for various reasons.   I found out thru a traffic stop.   LEO saw it on the side of my ham radio stack (turned off).  Said "pretty sure that isn't legal in town."  Didn't ticket me for it, or take it.  He was right.   (delivered pizza's and used it to listen to the local LEO's to keep track of traffic)   Tried to get a permit for it but they wouldn't let me have one.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Scanner laws

In most states there are no laws prohibiting scanner use.  In about 10 states having a scanner is only illegal if used  in furtherance of a crime.  In a handful of states scanner use is illegal, but hams are exempted.  In New York state scanner use is illegal and the only exemption they make is for licensed hams to have a receiver capable of receiving amateur frequencies (I don't know why they need to make that exemption considering that we are already federally licensed to do so)

The FCC has stepped in and preempted state law (P.R. Docket 91-36), but this only exempts ham transceivers capable of wide rx, not scanners.

Now back to the original question…
Uniden makes a remote head  BC-RH96 that is compatable with several of their mobiles.
If you need to receive P25 go with the BCD996XT
Otherwise get a BCT15
Both have wide rx coverage (25MHz to 1.3GHz) and should scan everything you want

I know you said no handhelds, but the RH96 head is also compatible with the BCD396T and BCD396XT
handhelds. You could mount the head in your vehicle, leave the handheld in the glovebox/center console and remove it as needed for potable use/theft deterrence.  I personaly went with a BCD396T placed in my truck's cupholder.  When i'm not driving it serves as a base (I cant bring myself to spend $400 for a scanner I can only use while driving)

Thank you!  That helps tremendously!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Florida has a statewide scanner ban of some sorts, so watch crossing state lines with it.

RS
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Florida has a statewide scanner ban of some sorts, so watch crossing state lines with it.

RS

Legal in FL for me to have one installed and operating.   You just have to be a licensed HAM operator.  I am.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top