Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 6:48:55 AM EDT
->If a Technician wants to upgrade to Extra, does one need to take both the General and Extra tests, or just the Extra?  If both, can they be done concurrently?

->Where can I find a printable version of the most recent question pools?   QRZ.com has an excellent online test but I want to be able to print the questions for  offline study.

->I realize that it's not required, but what is a good way to start learning code?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes you have to take both exams.

Question Pools

download some software?  I have heard the koch method is pretty good.  Someone who actually knows more about the code can chime in...

ETA:
You can take them both at the same session under the same examination fee.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I learned code from W8OUW now SK. I also used an old DOS program called Super-Morse. It will send a character and you type the letter on the keyboard. It would also send a QSO to copy. Super-Morse helped me get to about 15wpm to get my General ticket but I could not go any faster to get Extra back then.
ETA–– I learned the "Farnsworth" method. Character sent at 20wpm and spacing at 5wpm.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I did an extensive write-up of how I learned CW. It should be in the archive but I'm not finding it. I'll keep looking...

ETA: Found it. Guess it was in Survival Discussions not Ham Radio.

Here it is.

Hope it helps. I'll also add this to the list: RufzXP. It was a big hit at Dayton this year.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
->If a Technician wants to upgrade to Extra, does one need to take both the General and Extra tests, or just the Extra?  If both, can they be done concurrently?

you must pass both the General and Extra exams.
you can take both exams back-to-back at the same testing session if desired.

Quoted:
->Where can I find a printable version of the most recent question pools?   QRZ.com has an excellent online test but I want to be able to print the questions for  offline study.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=604477#10323204

ar-jedi

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top