Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2009 5:27:53 AM EDT
Ok, I'm ready (I think) to drop the coin on a new HF rig and I have it down to these two models. I'm looking for something to act primarily as a base station with the option to take it mobile if I need to. I think both of these fit the bill nicely. The Yaesu rigs are nice but the 857/897 don't really come off as base radios to me. Certainly not the 857 at least. One thing I'm trying to decide between is having the all-band radio (7000) or if HF only (480) would continue to work for me. I currently use a FT-8000 for V/U and a 718 for HF.

Right now the 7000 is in the lead. I like that the IF filters are standard as opposed to optional with the Kenwood. It's also got more memory locations. Both are well-rated at eHam but I haven't played with either one. I'd appreciate any input especially if you've got experience with both that would help me better compare them.

Tnx!

ETA: Just read that the voice recorder is optional with the Kenwood when it's standard with the 7000.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have an IC-7000 and can't imagine being without the built in digital filtering. I'm glad I got it just for that. The noise reduction mode is great for SSB voice, too.

Never use the voice recorder.

It's a nice convenience having VHF in the same radio.

So far I am very happy with it. Unfortunately I've got no time at all on a TS-480 so can't give you a real comparison.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I know you said mobile as well base station use, but the IC-7200 is an excellent radio.

In true ARFCOM tradition: Get both!
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
something to act primarily as a base station with the option to take it mobile if I need to.

Quoted:
In true ARFCOM tradition: Get both! the HANDLES!!!  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm, that doesn't look too "mobile"-able but I'll look at it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
ar-jedi did you add a 7200 to the collection?
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ar-jedi did you add a 7200 to the collection?

thinking VERY hard about it –– but a good friend of mine is trying to offload a separate non-related item which i am trying to say no to, but since i lost the last one of this type of item in an oh-so-tragic boating accident i may just have to take him up on his offer.  this particular item is hard to come by in these uncertain political/economic times, and the 7200 is not, so i will likely delay the latter.  

that make sense?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 4/24/2009 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Just picked up a IC-7000 local from a guy... $700! Also has the AB5N mic upgrade, ~$45 dollars shipped from AB5N's website. If you get the 7000, GET THIS UPGRADE! I have nothing but spectacular audio reports from people. I bust through pileups left and right. As someone mentioned to me on the air it really makes it a contest mic after doing this upgrade.

I'm in love with this radio!
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 8:11:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I"m a big fan of the 7000.  Aside from some of the obvious things you have mentioned, having side band capability on VHF/UHF doesn't suck.  I use mine for contesting on these bands, but there are other applications.  These are the only bands for which you can make a truly compact and portable beam antenna.  I can imagine a few situations where that could come in handy.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Ahh, didn't realize you could do sideband. That'd be nice. I've been wanting to try NBEMS over 2M SSB. The radio I was looking at sold before I could take it but I talked to another guy on eHam that said he sold his 480 because he figured he'd never use it again. The 7000 is where I'm leaning. I'll be in Tampa starting Wed and told the wife to expect a stop at AES in Orlando on the way back. Now I just have to come up with funds to cover the gap unless I can find another good deal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
That makes perfect sense my friend. In fact all of my radio purchases have been delayed for the last 3 months or so also. I even went so far as to sell my Pro2 and MK5Field to free up cash.

I've always purchased items because I wanted to...now I feel like I have no choice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I own 2 IC-7000s. Can't beat em for features vs. size vs. cost. The digital filtering is great!! I can even watch TV on them until the digital change over.

The only feature they left out which I would have liked to see is a weather alert for NOAA weather radio channels. I guess you cant have everything.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked up a 7000 today on my way through Orlando. Stopped at AES and bought a used one they had. Just hooked it up and waiting for my first net to start. Haven't been on this net in about 6 mos and looking forward to it.

My buddy showed me the TV thing. That was pretty slick.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the frequency, Kenneth?  

You got a coat hanger jabbed in the back of that thing yet?
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I found an 18" piece of 22-ga wire I'm trying to tune up. Wanna try 160M?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 12:30:43 AM EDT
[#16]
You're gonna love your 7000. Great choice!!

'73

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top