Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2009 6:35:50 PM EDT
Was tuning around on 30 meters today and heard a very strong Olivia station, so finally figured out what rate to set and he was calling CQ.  It was Peter, VE7NBQ in Vancouver.  So, I said what the heck and gave him a call, and he returned.  Kinda exciting for me to operate a new mode after 53 years in Ham Radio.    So, we had a nice +1 hour chat and enjoyed a true rag chew instead of the normal "report/name/qth/bye" qso that is so prevelant now a days.  So, look for me on Olivia or PSK31on 80 /30 /20 meters.

John K6YDW

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 8:36:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have yet to make a contact on Olivia, I keep trying but wonder if my settings are wrong.
I enjoy PSK31 but your right about hi, bye and that's it.
I made my first contact in Japan on PSK31 last week, I thought that was pretty exciting. I guess it doesn't take much to excite me these days.

Randy KE7L**
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I really like psk31.  I need to make up the cable to do that again.  My other ones went with the fire.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 12:59:47 PM EDT
[#3]
olivia is awesome. There's a few settings you can tweak that'll help. But you can make contacts that you cant' hear. I like it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not too sure what the settings are, as I just tapped the "Olivia" button on the MultiPSK screen and centered it on the station in BC, and went from there.  Peter gave me a website to look at:  http://hflink.com/olivia  and it shows the freq's of each band, then they got to talking about where to set you soundcard center freq of 750hz to.  Geez, when I do that, my power drops down to nothing, as it is out of the audio bandpass of the transmitter, so I run it up to 1500hz or so and then get my 50 watts out fine.  Havent heard anything on today, plus that RTTY contest all weekend and of course them contesters are all over the place, so hard to find anything.   Still, interesting mode of work.

Link Posted: 3/22/2009 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice web site, looks like they have some info that I can use.

I'm in Washington and PSK31 from South America was really strong today.

Thanks!
KE7L**
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 7:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Olivia is my new favorte. It is just the right speed for my slow typing. It works throught all the ORM & QRN. About my third contact was a Texas station(about 1000miles away) using 4 watts on his Ft817. So I dropped my power down to 5 watts from 40 and we still had 100% copy. It is truly a MAGIC mode!!!  Using DM780 on Ham Radio Deluxe is the sweet ticket. I have learned how to set it up so the name and call signs go to the macros with two clicks. Also the program will automatically put your contact in the log and send an E-QSL!!! Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been using DM780 on Ham Radio Deluxe and have really learned to like it.
For a free program it's hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Olivia is pretty good but you have to set your soundcard sampling rate correctly. Army MARS uses it a bit. I kinda like listening to it.

MT63 is better and is also a soundcard mode. It gets through when you can't even hardly hear it above the noise floor.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I finally did it, I made my first contact on Olivia.
I'm really impressed with it, 100% copy when the band conditions were changing. The signal never dropped off, I had a great QSO with a guy in Iowa.

KE7L**
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top