Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2008 10:43:23 AM EDT
Is a Drake TR-22m good for anything still? It was in an old closet just sitting with a few different power adapters. I turned it on and it seems to work, but never heard anyone talking.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#1]
1w crystal controlled 2m rig... at best a curiosity as far as practical use if it would happen to have useful crystals already in it.  If it doesn't it's not worth the expense of crystals.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Good for short range simplex if it has the crystals in it for simplex. normally they came with the call freq installed 146.52. Not much good for the repeaters tho..no tone board.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
It has crystals in it, how do I know if they're still good?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Good as far as functional or good as far as what frequency?  Wattmeter + dummy load for the first question and freq counter for the second.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Not that crystals go bad, so much as not being on a frequency you want.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Good for short range simplex if it has the crystals in it for simplex. normally they came with the call freq installed 146.52. Not much good for the repeaters tho..no tone board.

+1  Almost every old crystal multichannel 2m radio I've seen had a selection for 146.52, though sometimes the crystal
for that position had been scavenged already.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
If you don't have a freq counter you can transmit into a dummy load and scan the 2m band on a scanner (if you have one) and when you here the loud squeal of feedback you have found the freq! There is also a formula for mathematically figuring it out, it is radio dependant and you need to know the crystal freq (not the tx/rx freq) which is usually stamped/printed on the crystal. G00gle tr22 and see what you can find.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top