Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2008 11:12:39 AM EDT
Anyone have one? Thinking about picking one up for next weekend's camping trip and Field Day. I'm a little concerned that the bandwidth might be a bit narrow though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 12:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
We've got a Buddipole, but are wanting a longer mast to go with it.  With the stock mast, it's only about 8' off ground which just isn't the best.  It does hear well though, and is highly susceptible to flourescent lighting interference.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
My Dad and I were just in the Buddie pole factory on Saturday.  They don't really have a show room, so they took us to the back where their CNC machine is and all the assembly area.  They set one up and explained the ups and downs.  It was interesting.  It looks like a decent product to me.

-Mark.

Link Posted: 6/13/2008 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
C'mon M-60, don't leave me hanging! Details, man, I need details!

I don't think I'll be near any fluorescent lighting in the woods.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Vic 303 and I tried ours on a mini vacation at a church retreat.

The rig was set up in the shelter house area that had lots of fluorescent lighting, once we turned the lights off, the rig got a whole lot quieter.

Am hoping to find a reasonable collapsible antenna mast at HamComm tomorrow.  I'd really like to get more elevation on the antenna than the stock set up.

We're planning on running exclusively on the Buddipole for field day, will see how it does then.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend has the Buddipole and likes it. He bought the deluxe kit with the tripod though. I'm thinking of mounting the Buddistick to my 12' telescoping pool pole.
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 5:18:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I knew I should have picked one of those up at Dayton for $99...
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 7:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I was just talking with their rep yesterday at Hamcom. What the buddistick, (what a ghey name), is good at is QRP. 40 meters and down.

It wont work for my needs. I need 80 meters for MARS.

What I did run across that was cool is: this antenna and this:  Homebrew AS-2259

I just gonna build one of each.
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Darn, I forgot my secret Arfcomm handshake while I was at HamCom.

I stopped by the Buddipole display also, was seeing what they would recommend for a taller mast but didn't get an answer to my question.

What I did see though was how to rig the Buddipole as an 80 meter vertical.

They also did say they were coming out with a "cookbook" for different Buddipole configurations.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I do like the buddipole/stick antennas.  Never bought the commercial version but did home brew one.  Worked great, made lots of contacts, including to my surprise, the designer of the antenna, Budd W3FF!  Got a card from him too! BH
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What the buddistick, (what a ghey name), is good at is QRP. 40 meters and down.

It wont work for my needs. I need 80 meters for MARS.

Well, it IS named after the guy that makes them.

So do you mean true QRP or barefoot?
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 11:20:04 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What I did run across that was cool is: this antenna and this:  Homebrew AS-2259

I just gonna build one of each.

Im going to start building the homebrew AS-2259 this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#12]
That does look like a fun project.

Well, as far as the Buddistick goes, I waited long enough that I figured I wouldn't get it in time for my camping trip. It'd be here for Field Day but I really want to get on the air from the campsite.

I ended up going with the P1 system from Blue Star Antennas. They're almost local so if I have any problems I'll just drive to them. I'm figuring it'll be here tomorrow and I might be able to use it to check into the 80M net. I really liked being able to have 80M since I participate in the No FL Phone Net. I'll be sure to give an AAR.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#13]
bump,

Im bumping this for someone that asked a question about it..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top