[#1]
HF?  VHF?  UHF?

SSB?  FM?  CW?
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
HF?  VHF?  UHF?

SSB?  FM?  CW?

well...the more acronyms the better right!

I dont know...im a noobie at HAM.  Is there a unit that does it all and trunks with a bag of chips?
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 1:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HF?  VHF?  UHF?

SSB?  FM?  CW?

I dont know...im a noobie at HAM.  Is there a unit that does it all and trunks with a bag of chips?

I don't know any transceivers that trunk...

But I like my Yaesu VX-6R just fine.  It's small, lightweight, waterproof, rugged, and has very broad-band receive capability... in addition to being dual-band transmit capable (2m and 440).  Get a submersible Yaesu speaker-mic and you're GTG.

Oh, and get the software to program it... you'll thank me for this later.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

No.  There's a massive difference between HF and VHF/UHF.  The other acronyms matter as well.  I'd refer you to the introductory threads stapled at the top of this forum.

Link Posted: 2/16/2008 10:00:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Figure out where you are going to do most of your hiking and camping. Then see what repeaters cover the area best. I usually check out the ARRL repeater directory as what is in the area, then google it to see if the repeater club/owner comes up. Portable HF is rewarding but a lot of trouble unless using the radio is the primary reason for going to the out back. I usually carry a 2 meter capable radio in northwestern SC since both the 147.270 and 146.790 repeaters cover the Jocasse Gorges Park area.

RS
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#6]
If you don't need HF capability, I'd steer you toward the Yaesu VX-6 or VX-7 since you specified waterproof.  I use a VX-5 in my CamelBak Viper with a long whip and a speaker mike clipped to the shoulder strap.  That setup is fine for a light rain.  For a deluge, I'd want a waterproof HT.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the VX-6R, and it is a Tri-bander (2M/440/220)
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've got the Kenwood TH-F6A tribander (2M/220Mhz/430Mhz) and like it.

Plus a bazillion.  I love my F6a.

My club runs a 223 MHz repeater so that's why I got the third band. I've added a larger 3600 ma/hr battery to the HT and it runs all weekend without recharge now.
 Is that a battery from Kenwood, or aftermarket?

My battery is about five years old now, and I should probably start thinking of replacement...
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 3:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Where do you live? What is your license? If you're a technicians do you ever plan on getting your General (HF) or Extra (+HF) license?

I've got the Kenwood TH-F6A tribander (2M/220Mhz/430Mhz) and like it. My club runs a 223 MHz repeater so that's why I got the third band. I've added a larger 3600 ma/hr battery to the HT and it runs all weekend without recharge now. It gets weather, AM/FM, and TV audio. The local police, fire, and EMT use a trunking system so a simple ham radio isn't going to receive it. For me my truck is equiped with a crossband capable VHF/UHF radio so I can use the 430Mhz walkie talkie to hit the truck and the truck will transmit with its larger amplifier and antenna to the distant repeater.

SoCal is littered with repeaters. There's hardly a place within 50 miles of where I live where a five watt walkie talkie can't hit a repeater up on a mountain. There are valleys where the terrain blocks signal but that's radio. Depending on where you live you might have to match the available repeater. 2M are most common but there are repeaters on 1.25M, 70cm, 6M and 10M so pick your walk about rig to match. Talk to your local ham club for ideas.

thanks Paul, I'll be in WA, ID, OR and maybe UT with it.

and im not licensed yet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Mmmmm, TH-F6 <drool>  But is it waterproof?  
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 6:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Mmmmm, TH-F6 <drool>  But is it waterproof?  

You going to take it swimming?
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Swimming with an HT?  Sure!  

The OP specified waterproof-ish -- I guess any of them are waterproof-ish, but a couple are really waterproof.  I was just curious because I didn't see anything about that in the TH-F6's specs.  Personally, I'd like to have a true waterproof HT because I can see using it someday for emergency services in inclement weather.
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The OP specified waterproof-ish -- I guess any of them are waterproof-ish, but a couple are really waterproof.  I was just curious because I didn't see anything about that in the TH-F6's specs.  Personally, I'd like to have a true waterproof HT because I can see using it someday for emergency services in inclement weather.

I dropped an MT1000 over the side of the zodiac on a body search for a duck hunter that got washed away in one of our floods.

6 days later when the water was gone, I went out into that field, and found that radio. Washed the mud, and crud off. dried it out, put a new batt. on her, and she fired right up...
Link Posted: 2/16/2008 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dropped an MT1000 over the side of the zodiac on a body search for a duck hunter that got washed away in one of our floods.

6 days later when the water was gone, I went out into that field, and found that radio. Washed the mud, and crud off. dried it out, put a new batt. on her, and she fired right up...

Ok, but they haven't made any of the genisis series in almost 20 years.  Those faggity XTSs will never come close for pure durability  

That reminds me, I want to find a HT600 for fun
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 5:38:53 AM EDT
[#16]
HT600 for fun or for free? They should be cheap now.

I never have gotten the P200 UHF up to the Motorola shop for 440 repeater programming. Isn't it an HT600 in sheep's clothing? One of the guys in our group had an HT600 VHF, but I don't know if it was his or the county's. I am definitely thinking about selling off my Icom F43GS and getting an F40GT so the battery pack situation is resolved. Then the U82/V82 stuff fits all around. Besides, putting AAA's in a battery case is rediculous.

RS
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
small, lightweight, waterproof'ish

go here,
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=609295
and scroll down to the third post.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 11:38:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
HT600 for fun or for free? They should be cheap now.

I never have gotten the P200 UHF up to the Motorola shop for 440 repeater programming. Isn't it an HT600 in sheep's clothing? One of the guys in our group had an HT600 VHF, but I don't know if it was his or the county's. I am definitely thinking about selling off my Icom F43GS and getting an F40GT so the battery pack situation is resolved. Then the U82/V82 stuff fits all around. Besides, putting AAA's in a battery case is rediculous.

RS

For fun stuff, all my races stuff is between 146-148 so I don't have to worry if I end up with a 146+ split radio (which most are).  The radios in good condition are around $20-30 if you buy one, one guy on egay has lots of 10 for $140ish though.  I'd need to buy a new battery though, so that would be another $30-40 for either a multiplier or a /\/\ branded one.  I have a charger and extra antennas ready to go.  In fact, I actually have an OEM battery eliminator so I could use one without a battery if needed.  It's funny the odd things we end up with over time  

Yep, the HT600, P200, and MT1000 are all cousins.  The P200 was in the "radius" line so it was meant to be sold by local dealers instead of direct by big /\/\  

My county still has UHF HT600s that I have seen with the animal control, so they likely have some for the regular sheriff's dept personal too.  You only get up to 6ch, but that is still enough for many users, and they are bloody indestructible  
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
HF?  VHF?  UHF?

SSB?  FM?  CW?

I don't know any transceivers that trunk...

But I like my Yaesu VX-6R just fine.  It's small, lightweight, waterproof, rugged, and has very broad-band receive capability... in addition to being dual-band transmit capable (2m and 440).  Get a submersible Yaesu speaker-mic and you're GTG.

Oh, and get the software to program it... you'll thank me for this later.

+1.  Also, look into a power cable, not charger, for using it off your car battery.  An extra batt pack is also a good idea.   And order a couple extra belt clips.  They are a buck a piece from the manufacture.  I broke mine a month into owning it.  And get the software, too.  Trust me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#20]
If you can afford it the Yasue VX-7R is THE best handheld ham radio on the market , period.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If you can afford it the Yasue VX-7R is THE best handheld ham radio on the market , period.

This is a subject this forum goes back and forth on.  My position is that the VX-7R's lack of support for integrated AA operation prevents it from being considered a good emergency radio.

The FT-60R has such support, as well as my favorite feature, smart search.  It lacks 220 and 6m TX, and all RX below 108 mhz, as well as WFM RX.  I consider those an acceptable, albeit unpleasant, compromise.
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 12:47:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Based on what?...

Link Posted: 2/18/2008 1:34:33 PM EDT
[#23]
hello gaspain...
i guess what nobody asked is who are you planning to talk to?? if hiking/camping, I'm assuming you will be going with family and friends. if everyone is a Ham, great. get a brand name 2m or 440 mhz (or combo, but more money) and your good to go. If not, I've used those blister pack GMRS/FRS radios. believe it or not they have great range. on fresh batteries I've talked 3 miles on GMRS. that was long before I had my Am Radio license, wouldn't think of doing that now and risking that.

if your out for a hike and want to get on local repeater and scan local Public service freq's plain 2 meter will do you good. And you'll be able to call for help, check on weather.  

hope this helps
Mike
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

are you making this up as you go along?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

what do you think the best handheld ham is ar-jedi?
Link Posted: 2/18/2008 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#26]
What features and performance would put the VX-7R above the TH-F6a?
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 12:07:02 AM EDT
[#27]
One would be the water resistance.  Can't say I would choose either one though for my use.  If I needed 222mhz than the kenwood kicks but with it's 5watts output.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Oh oh oh    pick me pick me  

Harris Multiband Land Mobile Radio

30 to 512 MHz continuous bitches  

Link Posted: 2/19/2008 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Yeah... THAT doesn't look cheap...
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:...

With the encryption capability, is it civilian-legal?
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee, it's for public safety, and last I heard they are still civilians  The .mil versions of many of those types of radios might have .mil only crip capabilities, but us mere mortals can still use quite a bit of stuff that only the NSA will be able to decode.  

For poor fools like me, DES-XL is good enough  

Link Posted: 2/19/2008 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee, it's for public safety, and last I heard they are still civilians  The .mil versions of many of those types of radios might have .mil only crip capabilities, but us mere mortals can still use quite a bit of stuff that only the NSA will be able to decode.  

For poor fools like me, DES-XL is good enough  

What does one of those sweet babies go for?
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#34]
No bloody idea, saw $4000 tossed around at another forum.  That would be a pretty good deal, I was expecting closer to 6-7G

These are reasons I don't win the powerball, I'd drag one to the hamfest and make everyone bow down  
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I am swimming in DES equipped Sabers. Too bad Mt. Mitchell is not secure capable

Is it online?  I tried a QSO with one of the other WTFs a few weeks ago and I could not bring it up from work, and I have hit that machine many times with an HT from Gastonia.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gee, it's for public safety, and last I heard they are still civilians  The .mil versions of many of those types of radios might have .mil only crip capabilities, but us mere mortals can still use quite a bit of stuff that only the NSA will be able to decode....

You've been awful touchy lately, someone piss in your corn flakes?  

FWIW, I am fully aware that non-.gov can, indeed, purchase encryption-enabled equipment, STU-IIIs, for example, I was told (ages ago) part of the reason they were so cheap for Uncle was that he specified that they be available to the commercial/private sector.  The encryption chip was not accessible without destroying it, so no biggie.

What I meant was, can we, as hams, get one of these, assuming we could afford such a beast.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Icom just came out with a new Water resistant HT.  The IC-92.  Check it out.  I have a KenWood now and it's been a fantastic radio, but, I think if I were in the HT market right now, I would get the Icom IC-92AD.  It's pricey though.

www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/5092.html

-Mark.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn, $600 for

Battery Case (2 x AA)

Link Posted: 2/19/2008 2:20:31 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Damn, $600 for

Battery Case (2 x AA)

Where did you see that?

-Mark.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#41]
On the same page.  $600 is the radio.  My point is that, after $600, you're still stuck with the rechargeable battery rather than emergency AA's.

Emergencies tend not to synchronize themselves to recharging cycles.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
On the same page.  $600 is the radio.  My point is that, after $600, you're still stuck with the rechargeable battery rather than emergency AA's.

I don't know about the Yaesu rigs, but my Kenwood doesn't have a stock AA pack.  It's also an option.  Personally, I just carry a spare rechargable.

-Mark.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where do you live? What is your license? If you're a technicians do you ever plan on getting your General (HF) or Extra (+HF) license?

I've got the Kenwood TH-F6A tribander (2M/220Mhz/430Mhz) and like it. My club runs a 223 MHz repeater so that's why I got the third band. I've added a larger 3600 ma/hr battery to the HT and it runs all weekend without recharge now. It gets weather, AM/FM, and TV audio. The local police, fire, and EMT use a trunking system so a simple ham radio isn't going to receive it. For me my truck is equiped with a crossband capable VHF/UHF radio so I can use the 430Mhz walkie talkie to hit the truck and the truck will transmit with its larger amplifier and antenna to the distant repeater.

SoCal is littered with repeaters. There's hardly a place within 50 miles of where I live where a five watt walkie talkie can't hit a repeater up on a mountain. There are valleys where the terrain blocks signal but that's radio. Depending on where you live you might have to match the available repeater. 2M are most common but there are repeaters on 1.25M, 70cm, 6M and 10M so pick your walk about rig to match. Talk to your local ham club for ideas.

thanks Paul, I'll be in WA, ID, OR and maybe UT with it.

and im not licensed yet.

You really did not provide enough information on your planned usage, so I will assume that you are looking for something for emergency/survival.

In that case, you would be better off with a sat phone camping in those states you listed. There are plenty of camping areas where there are no repeater coverage for VHF/UHF handhelds.  You would need a handheld beam to catch a HAM satellite and the experience of doing so.

You would be better off with a sat phone first, then a HF mobile rig in the auto. I will get some flack for this, but I recommend getting a HF mobile rig that can be opened for 11meter band. That is what I do - use the 11meter on a emergency if I cannot get someone on 10 or 12 meter.

If you are looking for intraparty communications (between you and someone in your party), then two VHF/UHF handhelds and a mobile VHF/UHF rig capable of repeating in your auto would be best. However, you would then need more than one HAM license.

If more than one HAM license would be an issue for you, then I would suggest GMRS and a family GMRS license. You could also look at MURS.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know about the Yaesu rigs, but my Kenwood doesn't have a stock AA pack.  It's also an option.  Personally, I just carry a spare rechargable.

It's not a question of whether it's stock; with only 2 AA's, it won't be sufficient to supply high power.

My main problem with rechargeables is that you can't leave them in a BOB for six months and still count on them.

And, without the right components, once you use a rechargeable up, you could be standing next to a wall of shrinkwrapped AA's and still be unable to do anything during a power outage.

For that matter, even li-ion's aren't immortal.  Once they die, and I've lost more than a few, you're forced back into, in this case, Icom's supply chain.  Rather than having a AA case and being able to barter for those.

AA's aren't a perfect power source, but they're common and have a long shelf life.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HF?  VHF?  UHF?

SSB?  FM?  CW?

Thank God for the current ham testing process.
Nothing personal about you, but it is incredible to me that someone could get a ham ticket without knowing and understanding what every one of those mean. That is about as basic as it gets. I realize that isn't your fault, it is ours for allowing the hobby to deteriorate to that level.
Yet another example of our generation being asleep on our watch.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
My main problem with rechargeables is that you can't leave them in a BOB for six months and still count on them.

Eneloops and the other low self discharge AAs work well, eneloops are rated for 85% after a full year of storage.  

Not bad, and they cost only a little more than regular NIMH AAs
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

You've been awful touchy lately, someone piss in your corn flakes?  

I prefer froot loops, if that matters.  

Quoted:

FWIW, I am fully aware that non-.gov can, indeed, purchase encryption-enabled equipment, STU-IIIs, for example, I was told (ages ago) part of the reason they were so cheap for Uncle was that he specified that they be available to the commercial/private sector.  The encryption chip was not accessible without destroying it, so no biggie.

What I meant was, can we, as hams, get one of these, assuming we could afford such a beast.

Why not?  As far as what hams can afford, I see some who buy a $2000 radio every other year, why not spend a few more bucks?  Oh yeah, it does not say keyyeacom on it  

As far as the icom that was posted, they are idiots to go from a $400 HT to a $600 one.  I doubt it's actually rugged enough to justify the price jump.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not?  As far as what hams can afford, I see some who buy a $2000 radio every other year, why not spend a few more bucks?  Oh yeah, it does not say keyyeacom on it  

As far as the icom that was posted, they are idiots to go from a $400 HT to a $600 one.  I doubt it's actually rugged enough to justify the price jump.  

Motosnob!

But I looked damn sexy at the ARES meeting tonight with my Saber II  

$30 surplus gear FTW  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top