Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 7:36:06 AM EDT
I purchased a Grundig G1000A about a year and a half ago.  I bought it for the shortwave listening.  I have not spent enough time playing with it to find all (OK any!) of the “regular” programs that may be enjoyable or educational to listen to.  I understand that in a larger scale SHTF, SW radio may be the ONLY outside resource for information. A friend of mine told me to listen to 5.070MHz at 9pm EST.  My radio says it will only go down to 5.95 however when I tune the digital dial it will go down to 5.73 just in case it matters the back of the radio says it will go up to 21.85 but it will tune up to 22.22.  If you are curious about the radio I really like it.  It picks up AM well, FM average, and the 2 AA batteries last quit a long time.

Enough background rambling…..What do you listen to and when?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#2]
wading through the above links, I found lots of HAM stuff but no freq schedules for SW?

When I got my SW radio I pretty much just randomly spun the wheel while doing chores to see if I found something new.  It was kind of like fishing..  

I found a few programs that I became a pretty regular listener to, not set an alarm for them but if I remebered, I would spin the dial to listen.  Most were pretty "interesting" or maybe "odd" is a better word, but all in all..  it was fun to listen.  It reminded me how the prepared can sometimes come off as "different".  I don't do a lot of Prep talking as I want to keep my stuff, well..  my stuff.  It is those that take to the airwaves that get the message out and sometimes it isn't the best image.    At least they are doing something more that I am for their fellow man.

I will look around and see if I can dig up my list.  Of all the dial turning time I have done, I never found a numbers station..  not that it was my goal..  okay, maybe a little one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
For international broadcasts, I find it easier to just spin the dial and "fish" for good programs. It's not like FM, where 96Rock will be on 96.1 all day every day. The SW broadcasters use different frequencies depending on the time of day and the season. Many of them have cut back on the amount of programming they "aim" toward the US, making it even more difficult to find what you're looking for.

One of the big exceptions are the Cuban stations because they still try to send their message this way. I wouldn't trust them for news coverage, but they do have some interesting stories and great music.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:53:42 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
wading through the above links, I found lots of HAM stuff but no freq schedules for SW?

did you click on the first link?
did you click on the first link in that link?

it takes you here -->
www.primetimeshortwave.com/america.txt

that looks to me like a freq schedule for shortwave, no?

ETA: you can back up to this as well:
www.primetimeshortwave.com/

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Short term memory loss AR-Jedi..

I did click that link..  I guess I just forgot..   I guess I was over my head trying to decipher the Ham stuff.  I am not an electronic communications based person.  I turn my SW receiver on, slowly spin the wheel and wait.  

I am confused on the Ham stuff.  I need the class like I got at work..  push the little button on the side, wait for beep, talk, release button.  Listen to reply.  Rinse and Repeat.

I am completely lacking any type of real communications.  I can do GRMS and SW..  other than that, I am done.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am confused on the Ham stuff.  I need the class like I got at work..  push the little button on the side, wait for beep, talk, release button.  Listen to reply.  Rinse and Repeat.

I am completely lacking any type of real communications.  I can do GRMS and SW..  other than that, I am done.  

read through this work-in-progress:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=10&f=20&t=604477

ar-jedi

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top